Sonic 3 Memories (The Barrel Of Doom)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Sonic 3 Memories (The Barrel Of Doom)

Post by Calavera »

Just wondering who here had Sonic 3 when it first came out and did you have problems with...."The Barrel Of Doom"

In Carnival Night Zone Act 2 you come to a place where a gate closes behind you and all that is in front of you is a barrel.

Like many others I never saw any farther in Sonic 3 than this until many many years later. Up until this point you can simply keep jumping on barrels to get them low or high enough to continue on. Not here though, I spent so much time jumping on this damn barrel with no luck. My Sonic 3 experience boiled down to starting the game up, making a new save file and playing until this part and then being forced to quit.

Years later (probably 15-20 years or so later) I finally learned the solution. All you need to do is press up and down on the D-pad to move the barrel up and down. It seems so obvious once you know the solution but back in the day myself and many others were stopped dead in their tracks at this part.

Did anyone else here experience this problem? I hate that damn barrel! I never got to see Ice Cap Zone as a kid because of this foolishness!

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Sonic 3 Memories (The Barrel Of Doom)

Post by melancholy »

Dude. DUDE. Fuck that barrel. I spent HOURS trying to find an alternate route because I was convinced I was going the wrong way. Luckily for me I found a gaming magazine at Walmart a few weeks later that told me the solution, otherwise I would have never gotten past that stage.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I remember 2 things very vividly about Sonic 3.

1. Buying it as soon as it came out
2. THAT. FUCKING. BARREL. Fuck that shit.

Now tell me, how many of you successfully got the UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, UP, UP, UP, UP code to work? I dunno what it was about it, I could barely ever do it. I don't know how many times it took to get it the first time.
When the "SEGA" screen fades, quickly press Up-up-down-down-up-up-up-up. If you have done this right, you should be able to scroll down to "Sound Test" below "Competition."

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Skynet wrote:Now tell me, how many of you successfully got the UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, UP, UP, UP, UP code to work? I dunno what it was about it, I could barely ever do it. I don't know how many times it took to get it the first time.
I got proficient enough at it to be able to activate the code within 5 resets. But I still wish they had a more elegant solution like Sonic 2 had with the sound test.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

How did I avoid this barrel?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:
Skynet wrote:Now tell me, how many of you successfully got the UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, UP, UP, UP, UP code to work? I dunno what it was about it, I could barely ever do it. I don't know how many times it took to get it the first time.
I got proficient enough at it to be able to activate the code within 5 resets. But I still wish they had a more elegant solution like Sonic 2 had with the sound test.
I still know the sound test codes for Sonic 2, I don't think I'll ever forget them.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I got the code to work and used to have to do the barrel bit for my bro. It's momentum based IIRC and you have to get Sonic to go up and down fast then I think it drops enough so you can sneak thru and continue. I doubt I'd be able to do it now though. I think Ice Cap zone with the snowboard is my fave part of Sonic 3.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Back in the day, my friend and I were playing Sonic 3 together. We got to the barrel, didn't know what to do and never got any further in the game. It probably wasn't until the Sonic Mega Collection released for the Gamecube that I went back and actually got through the section.