How to add games to your SNES Mini

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

How to add games to your SNES Mini

Post by Roofus »

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: How to add games to your SNES Mini

Post by melancholy »

Psh, that hack was soooo last week. We now have HakChi 2.20 which makes all of that stuff obsolete.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Did the mod yesterday, pretty simple. Now I need to go back and do that to my NES mini

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I still haven't even opened mine yet. :lol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

:bump:

So I opened up my SNES Classic, immediately booted up Star Fox to unlock Star Fox 2, and then shut it down to start modding. It took 2 days of tutorials, downloads, and cover art hunting, but I now have my SNES Classic set exactly how I want it.

I installed the NES/SNES dual boot mod so I have both system kernals with the ability to switch between them by selecting a custom icon. I have about 70 games on each side, hand picked with all the games from my childhood while removing any pre-installed games that I didn’t want. And I made sure to only use ROMs that are compatible with Canoe to provide the most authentic experience (since Retroarch has input lag and missing features).

This this is set up so perfectly, I almost wonder if it’s even worth keeping my old SNES carts anymore since this provides a near-identical experience.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Good timing on the bump.

I just spent the last hour dicking around with someone else's SNES. There was some quirk of the software that was giving me issues. Because I'd already used it on mine, it wasn't detecting this other SNES post kernel dump. Apparently it happens to others too. So I grabbed a new version of Hakchi and it fixed the problem right up.

I do like the idea of setting this up the way you have it with the dual kernels, Mel.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

If you do decide to do the dual boot, let me give you some advice. If you go search for SNES Classic dual boot, you’ll probably land on a Reddit post on how to do it. Don’t follow that post. Instead, scroll down to the comments and the very first comment is from someone that has a MUCH better solution.

The reason is because the first method boots the kernel like it’s a game, so adding more games and hacking the NES portion is extremely difficult. The second method, however, actually restarts the console and boots the NES kernel. While the startup time takes 10 seconds longer, once it’s booted it behaves exactly like an NES and even stays in that mode during reboots. Which means Hakchi detects it and mods it normally.

One addition I will add is that he makes the comment that you can make a blank file to import as a game. That doesn’t work on the newest Hakchi. So find a small NES and SNES ROM that you don’t want to play, import them into Hakchi, and then simply rename their titles and commands.