What was your first computer?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

What was your first computer?

Post by Calavera »

My was an IBM PS/1 in 1993.

It had a Intel 80486DX @ 33 MHz. 4MB ram and a 170mb hard drive. It's insane how primitive that seems now.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Re: What was your first computer?

Post by Roofus »

Actually a clone of that. It had a CGA monitor and a 20 meg hard drive. It was in 1990 I think.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

First one that was bought for me was a Compaq with a amd K-7, the first PC given to me was a Dandy Tandy (I think it was a tandy)

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

My dad was strictly opposed to any computers in our house out of fear of me getting addicted to it. It was odd as game consoles were never banned, just computers. It took years for him to finally realize that I was at a increasing disadvantage without one, so finally for Christmas of 1997 he gave in and bought my first computer.

It was a custom built Windows 95 computer with a Pentium 166, 128mb of RAM and a 30 GB hard drive. My cousin owned a computer shop in Florida, and my dad wanted to buy it from someone he trusted. So he paid to have him build and ship it all the way to Indiana. It also came with a 15” monitor that was damage in shipping and caught fire the first week we had it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

First one I can remember using would be C64 then Amiga. My dad loved that kinda stuff when I was growing up. First Windows PC I used was some 33Mhz one my mum and her boyfriend bought some time in the 90s.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

First one a C64. Then a IBM PC clone which had a big floppy drive and weirdly had a dual OS/2 and MS Dos 6.22 Just a text based OS. Then getting a Windows 95 one was like a night and day difference with a GUI.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Amiga 500

What a sexy beast!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

An Apple Quadra 630 with a 68k processor

My dad bought it from a Dayton's for Christmas 1994. We got Monopoly and a collection of shareware games bundled with it. I grew up on Apple computers because that's what my dad used at work.

I still remember my dad and brother laughing at the goofy pre-ESRB age rating on the cover of Wolfenstein 3D shareware. We had that thing until 1998-99 when we got a special edition graphite iMac with a sweet G3 processor.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Commodore Vic 20

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

first computer my family owned was an IBM something. Windows 95, 100MHz pentium, 1.19 GB HDD 4MB of RAM... Cost a fortune! (about 3 grand) Still have it in a cupboard. still on the original install of windows 95.. and still boots faster than any windows computer I've had since.. (although my main on a fresh install of w10 is faster, it wasn't with faster with the same hardware on w7)

22 years on and I can still play Simtower and red alert on it.. money well spent.

MY first computer was a pentium 166MHz with 16mb of ram running w98. I don't have that anymore. It lasted till about 2003 when I built its replacement
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

C64 then upgraded to a 386 but cheaped out and got the SX version.

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

Amiga 500