The Game Room/Game Collecting thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Game Room/Game Collecting thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A thread for showing off your game room, your game collection &/or your favorite gaming items.

Thought I'd give this it's own thread instead of being in the "what you bought" thread.

Those boxes on top of the shelves are full of comics.

I've added some games to the shelves on the left.

There's more stuff behind those games.

Various pics:

And here's something for ian:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Game Room/Game Collecting thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

Looks cool Zoidy. How are the games holding up outside as if your in a damp and or warm environment they might get hit by mold spores. I'd check them periodically to make sure they stay in good condition. Things like magazines, the outer boxes of boxed games etc I'd check too especially as you're building a condition.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's a big, solidly built garage so everything is fine. The main garage door is usually shut and there's plenty of ventilation in there.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's good, Ive have had some rare VHS get mold in which sucks but its generally either too damp and cold or too hot here in the Summer so storing things is quite difficult.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I think I’ll get around to cleaning up and posting my living room and retro room later this week. The retro room is pretty cold in the winter so it kinda doubles as storage around Christmas time.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Tonight I have finally, finally finished my living room setup. The final step was getting the computer up and running in the new cabinets. The entire setup was built from scratch by me (with partial help from my dad). This is my modern console setup, anything older than Xbox is hooked up in my Retro Room (which I'll post at a later time once it's done). All 8 consoles (plus a Raspberry Pi and Roku) are hooked up simultaneously along with my PC that is housed behind speaker cloth panels below the receiver. It's taken a long time, but I'm so happy it's finally done.

As an added note, the pink pieces around my computer components are custom 3D pieces I made to hold everything together efficiently. My 3D printer came with pink filament, so I figured I might as well use it on something that would be hidden 99% of the time.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's looking good, mel.

Hmmm, some nice stuff in that lot, especially the Catherine & P5 special editions.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Looks cool Mel.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

The first thing I noticed about zoidbergs game room was the dreamcast and saturn up the top.
And the saddest thing is that I saw links awakening in box.. I used to have it, but sold my gameboy and it along with it.. The only zelda game I ever liked.
I like the Crazy taxi pic (I have it on cube now as well)

The first thing I noticed in Mels game room is still the most impressive. I remember his custom painted Xbox 360 from the DCE days. It' good to see it proudly on display.
It stuck out like a sore thumb before I noticed any of the other consoles.

I'm not taking a pic of my game room because it is disgusting and less than half of what I used to have.. basically my game room is an xbox one, saturn, dreamcast, gamecube, snes mini, and various computer games all mixed in with rubbish, empty bottles and cans, computer parts, tools, car parts packaging for various things, dirty socks, and boxes.

And my bedroom is much the same but with less cool stuff, more rubbish, more junk, more dirty clothes and more DVD's.

occasionally I will take things from one room to the other and will probably eventually just bring it all to my bedroom to consolidate the filth.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Finally starting to fix up the game garage. I'll post pics when it's sorted. In the meantime, here's a pic of exactly 100 PS2 games. Exciting!

Need to get rid of those price tags.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Looks more impressive like that, but I was thinking, need to get rid of those singstar games ;)

Are you going to alphabetise them?
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I only got the Singstar games a couple of months ago, when I found the microphones and Eye Toy cheap at the recycle cntre. And I almost got some more of the games the other day when I was at Cash Converters. :olol:

I might alphabetise them eventually, or at least put them in some sort of order.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

With the price tags, taking them off is honestly the first thing I do with ANY new used games. It may be weird, but for me I like to make them look as pristine as possible for the shelf. I basically completely clean every single used game, console or accessory I buy. That way When I take them out to play for the first time, it's so much more special.

I spent HOURS restoring and cleaning my saturn lot. First setup with fully restored console, controllers and games was amazingly satisfying for some reason :embarrassed:
Still gotta do the same for the gamecube I got. Hours to do it all, but that feeling!!! :heart:

You should order them how I order my games... My favorites, to stuff I don't really care about ;)
I also hate stacking games on top of each other like you have, but I guess you have so god damn many, you have to fit them somehow. :owink:
But my first brand new console was a SNES.. Stacking 10 games in boxes like that killed the bottom ones, ditto N64 and big box PC...
And the most significant collection I ever had was the DC.. which as anyone with PAL cases knows, stacking games like that then needing to get to one at the bottom would break at least 1 case... But then again, a mouse sneezing a block away broke the clips of PAL DC cases :olol:
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I prefer having the games vertical as well, but as you said, there's too many to have them that way. Funnily enough, I have 43 boxed Mega Drive games, which is exactly the amount for them to fit upright.

More rearranging will be done but it's looking better.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Looks really good Zoidy. The Mario 3 in box looks in great condition. What's the rarest game and oldest one in your collection?. Also do you look in thrift stores etc for games or are they hip to their value now as in most stores here they are "researched".

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Not sure what the oldest is, probably one of the NES games.

Rarest would either be Enemy Zero on the Saturn or one of the limited edition Vita games which have a low print run. Secret Of Mana is probably the one that's worth the most although it's not that rare. Rarest game I've ever owned would be Panzer Dragoon Saga &/or Dragonforce on the Saturn, but I sold those back in 2002. Complete in box Harvest Moon on the SNES is also hard to find, and the game I wish I kept.

I look in pawn shops a couple of times a month usually. They are great for PS2 games, because they have so many of them they don't check the prices on them as much. 8-bit & 16-bit retro stuff is priced at around ebay levels but you can still find a bargain every now and then.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ok cool, thanks Zoidy. Have you come across Fire Pro for PS2? Think it was only released in Italy.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I haven't. It was released in the US and I've played a copy of it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK cool, yea I remember now it had a budget price US release. Do you collect old tape/Floppy disk releases or are they too risky for collecting cause of the condition can vary.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've still got a bunch of old Amiga magazine demo discs but no games. I've thought about getting some though and some C64 games. The problem is a lot of the Amiga games I owned and would want go for a fair bit now, stuff like IK+ & Turrican 2.