Installing boot camp on Mac?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Installing boot camp on Mac?

Post by Big Boss Man »

Was wondering how easy this is to do. Have a older Mac with Snow Leopard on and read you can install Windows XP and dual boot between the two OSes. Don't think I have a retail XP disc though so I'm assuming you can't export the OEM license and use that to activate?. Main reason to install XP is to play some older PC games I have and other software that don't run on Win10 even under compatability mode and aren't old enough to run under DOSbox.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Installing boot camp on Mac?

Post by pixel »

It's very easy. Boot Camp Assistant is located in the Utilities folder, which will help you reallocate existing space on your hard drive into a new partition for Windows. Pop in a Windows install disc and it'll take care of the rest. It's easy to reverse too, if you ever need to uninstall Windows.

If you're running XP, maybe just grab a bootleg? Otherwise, there should be some way to use that OEM license, but I don't have any experience with that.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Installing boot camp on Mac?

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks. Unfortunately I found that OEM licenses are linked to the computer they are installed on and can't be transferred. But say I found a copy of XP in a thrift store etc would I be able to use that license or would it already be activated?.