Got a new SD card but it aint woring right in my phone

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Got a new SD card but it aint woring right in my phone

Post by Hawq »

I recently purchaed a Integral 256GB UltimaPRO V30 Premium Micro SD Card (SDXC) but it doesnt work right in my phone, a Sony Xperia L1. Upon pluging it in it took a long time to be able to try to put anything on it & even then it was only by transfering music & pics from my PC, as for installing games to it it just isnt hapening, have to put them on the internal storage then transfer them over & as the internal space is low I can only do 1 or 2 at a time as it seems I cant transfer things off the phone itself for the most part so maybe those apps need to stay on the device rather than go on an SD card

When I asked in the local EE store they suggested a 128GB card would be a better fit as they thought the 256 was putting too much strain on my Xperia L1, anyone got any idea's/advice? should I just get the smaller one? (cureently on sale for a few quid less than the 256 if I can manage to swap it, assuming theres no way to solve the issues with it) The shop still aint got back to me so I figured I'd see if any f you guys had ideas on it

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Got a new SD card but it aint woring right in my phone

Post by melancholy »

It honestly sounds like a bad card to me. Do you have any other SD cards that you can try in the phone? If another SD card works fine, then the card you have is probably bad. Size really doesn’t matter in regards to data transfers.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Did you format the card as internal when it's in the phone?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

So are you saying you had the card itself hooked to your PC with a card reader and even then it was giving you very slow transfer speeds? If that is the case then I agree with Mel, it sounds like a bad card.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

its whatever the phone automatilly formats it to, sadly I havent seen an option to set it as the default location for stuff so I'm stuck having to put things on the internal storage (whats left of it) then transfer them to the SD card, maybe the phone doesnt let the user set the card as a default location?
It seemed OK when moving some music from the PC to the card & obbly seems to be responding atm

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Hawq wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:06 am its whatever the phone automatilly formats it to, sadly I havent seen an option to set it as the default location for stuff so I'm stuck having to put things on the internal storage (whats left of it) then transfer them to the SD card, maybe the phone doesnt let the user set the card as a default location?
It seemed OK when moving some music from the PC to the card & obbly seems to be responding atm
I believe certain versions of Android will allow you to set default storage locations, but older versions don't. My Galaxy Tab doesn't have that option but I think it's on an older version of Android

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

its on 7 and apparantly had an update recenty, I've been seeing some stuff about using superuser to switch the sd card to acting as the internal storage, anyone done this & whas it like to do? preferably with tools that are free. Been looking at these as possibilities but not exactly sure, depends on difficulty & such

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Try this, if you haven't already.
  • Put the SD card on your Android phone and wait for it to be recognized
  • Open Settings > Storage
  • Tap the name of your SD card.
  • Tap the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
  • Tap Storage Settings.
  • Select format as internal option.
  • Tap Erase & Format at the prompt
  • Android will then offer to migrate your data

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

can only see a format option, no format as internal