Which do you prefer original hardware or emulation?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.

Original hardware or emulation?

Original Hardware
25%
Emulation
75%

Total votes: 4

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Which do you prefer original hardware or emulation?

Post by Calavera »

Over the years I've seen a lot of people put down emulation. I've heard the it doesn't play exactly the same in emulation as it does on original hardware argument many times which I think is bullshit. I'd say 99.9 percent of people aren't going to be able to tell if a game is being emulated or played on original hardware. Have something like the original Super Mario Bros. going on two different TVs both with original NES controllers and the video set so it is the same quality on both sets and nobody is going to be able to tell a difference. With 3D games it is different. I can easily tell if a Gamecube game is being played on original hardware or being emulated. How you may ask? Because it is going to look a thousand times better on the emulator! I loved the Dreamcast back in the day (I think all of us here did) I had over 50 games for it which is the most games I've ever owned for any console before or after. Eventually I sold the system and all the games. Do I regret doing so? Not at all because I can play any of those games right now with just a couple clicks and not only do they run the same as they would on the Dreamcast but they look way better then they ever could on the actual hardware even with a VGA box. Right now if I got the urge to play Sonic Adventure 2 I could have it loaded up playing in 1080p widescreen within about 30 seconds. If I had the original console it most likely wouldn't be hooked up. I'd have to go get the console then hook it up to a modern flatscreen television via either RCA or S-video. Some modern TVs only have HDMI so in that case I'd have to buy an adapter to hook it up. Then after all of that I could finally play the game in 480i and it would look terrible. I just don't see why you would prefer to play on an original console when emulation is going to give you a superior experience. About a year or so ago I picked up an original SNES for cheap and had Super Mario All-Stars + World. I thought I'd give it a go on the original hardware to see if it gave me any nostalgic feelings. It did not, it was the same as playing on an emulator on the video was blurry. I still have my original Sega Genesis from when I was a kid and all the games but I haven't actually played it in many many years. I do however play some of those games on an emulator since it is so much easier. The only reason I still have it is because Sega Genesis stuff never really got all that expensive so I'd rather keep it since it is from my childhood since I'd be lucky to even get $100 for all of it.

I just felt like bitching about people hating on emulation a little so I made this topic. :olol: I do have one question for you though. Some people complain that the game isn't the same on an emulator and not all games work. Can you honestly think of any game that you'd want to play on a system that is well emulated that doesn't run the same as it would on an original system and ruins the gameplay and a game that isn't supported. I honestly can't think of any! Any game I've ever wanted to play on a well emulated system has always worked just fine. The only time I can ever think of it not working was when was first getting into emulation back in the late 90s. I want to say it was either 97 or 98. I wanted to play Super Mario RPG but no emulator could play it. So in that case I ended up just buying a new copy of it as you could still buy new SNES games at that time. That ended up being a good thing since I was able to sell it years later for way more than I payed for it and luckily by that time I knew to keep the original box and all the contents and not just throw it all away like I did with every other SNES game I'd owned. But anyways can you name a game that you'd want to play that is A.Emulated but plays so differently that it ruins the game. and/or B. A game that is not emulated at all.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Which do you prefer original hardware or emulation?

Post by Big Boss Man »

I think with the original hardware you get a sense of nostalgia by using the original game pads/controllers and seeing the cart/box art/manual etc. Also certain systems aren't 100% totally accurately emulated. But for ease of use, emulation is very good, so I think my vote would be for both :)
But anyways can you name a game that you'd want to play that is A.Emulated but plays so differently that it ruins the game. and/or B. A game that is not emulated at all.
I forgot their names, but two Japanese pro wrestling games for the N64 aren't emulated properly, I got one to run one time but it wasn't that playable due to graphical glitches.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I prefer original hardware but I'm OK with emulation, especially when it's done by M2.

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

Emulation wins due to convenience and low cost, but old games just look better on an old CRT TV.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I prefer original, but emulation will be needed to play and save our games in the long run. so any one hating on it is objectively insane...
As the original hardware rots and dies, repairs will become harder and harder and more expensive, untill it's flat out impossible.

Roms and emulation will be needed as physical media could fail at any time for any reason.

And people do understand you can hook up emulators to old CRT's? I like my 2 CRT's, but when they die I'm not spending big bucks to fix them.
just move on and look for the best way to reproduce old stuff on newer technology.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'll never collect physical media ever again, it just doesn't matter to me. I'm not spending $60+ on a second-hand, used game cart.

Collecting actual hardware is a personal preference now and not a necessity like it was back in the day.

Emulators have been good enough for me for 10-20 years and the software is only getting more accurate each year.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

I do like my collection of old systems but I aint gonna drag em out when I want to play something on them (with the exception of if I need to get a bit to use with something I'm testing out anyway) so mostly emulation for me, hard to beat the convinience as long as the emualtion is good

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 am
And people do understand you can hook up emulators to old CRT's? I like my 2 CRT's, but when they die I'm not spending big bucks to fix them.
just move on and look for the best way to reproduce old stuff on newer technology.
All you need is a device to convert the HDMI out on your computer to either component or composite and you can plug it right into a CRT!