Microsoft Testing "Variety" of New Xbox Prototypes

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Microsoft Testing "Variety" of New Xbox Prototypes

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Microsoft Testing "Variety" of New Xbox Prototypes - Report

"Some of the prototypes have been tested with upgraded components you'd use to improve the performance of a PC gaming rig."

Not a day after new details about Sony's rumored PS4.5 emerged, The Verge's Tom Warren is now reporting Microsoft is testing "a variety of prototype Xbox devices." The information is sourced to insiders who are reportedly familiar with Microsoft's plans for Xbox.

Among the prototypes are modular ones that can be upgraded like a PC.

"Some of the prototypes have been tested with upgraded components you'd use to improve the performance of a PC gaming rig," the report said.

This seemingly tallies with Xbox boss Phil Spencer's comments about how Microsoft will eventually "come out with new hardware capability during a generation." The executive never said it would be this generation, and has made it clear that you won't be opening up your Xbox One with a screwdriver to install new parts.

Additionally, more recently, Spencer said Xbox fans should not expect an Xbox One and a half.

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said recently. "For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it's reliable, the servers are doing well. If we're going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people--an upgrade."

It should also be noted that it is of course not uncommon for platform-holders to conduct experiments to find out what works best. Microsoft created numerous prototypes for the Xbox One, while the company tried out 200 different Xbox One controller designs before settling on the final version.

Making matters potentially more interesting, however, is that NeoGAF member ekim recently found new Federal Communications Commission filings that show Microsoft is experimenting with a new Xbox One wireless chip. Interestingly, the Microsoft-FCC non-disclosure agreement ends on June 25, which is not even two weeks after Microsoft's briefing at E3 this year.

A Microsoft representative told GameSpot, "We do not comment on rumors or speculation." Keep checking back with GameSpot for more on the future of Xbox hardware.

Source: Gamespot