The CPU/APU Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The CPU/APU Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Whoa. ASRock confirms 10-core Intel Core i7, outs other new Extreme Edition models

“The most unmissable part of Intel Broadwell-E is the flagship Core i7-6950X, which will be the first deca-core processor for the commercial market,” ASRock said.

ASRock, the honey badger of motherboard makers, flagrantly outed Intel’s most anticipated enthusiast chip of the year: a 10-core Core i7 CPU.

Sure, we’ve seen dribs and drabs of leaks for months, including Intel’s own accidental disclosure of the Core i7-6950X last week, but no vendors had confirmed the actual core count until now.

“The most unmissable part of Intel Broadwell-E is the flagship Core i7-6950X, which will be the first deca-core processor for the commercial market,” ASRock said Tuesday in a press release on its website.

And yeah, there’s more—ASRock went on to confirm the rest of the lineup. ”While this new CPU boasts a compelling 10-cores-and-20-threads architecture, users require a BIOS update for their motherboards to handle it; this update applies to the rest of the Broadwell-E gang, including i7-6900K, i7-6850K, and i7-6800K as well,” the press release said. ASRock didn’t spell out the specs of the others, but they’re expected to be 8-core, 6-core, and 6-core, respectively.

Why this matters: Intel's Skylake CPUs (and Windows 10) have failed to buoy saggng computer sales since they debuted last year, so the company has increasingly looked to gamers and hardware enthusiasts to move product. Nothing builds excitement like more CPU cores, which the Core i7-6950X has in spades.
More leaks than the Titanic

One can’t help but wonder if all the leaks are somehow condoned by Intel to help stoke the hype-train engine. I asked Intel to comment on ASRock’s confirmation and was given the boilerplate response that the company does not comment on unannounced product.

Intel had its own accidental (on purpose?) slip, when a newly posted webpage appeared to confirm that the Core i7-6950X would hit speeds of up to 3.5GHz and have 25MB of cache. That page has since been pulled.

MSI “leaked” news, too. Earlier this month, the company said its X99 motherboards were ready for Broadwell-E. MSI’s press release, however, was far more coy and used screenshots and performance numbers from a Xeon chip instead. Gigabyte also quietly added “Support 2016 Q2 coming new CPU” in a BIOS update pushed out in January.

So obviously, this has been the worst-kept secret. The only real unknown is how much Intel will charge for the CPU. When the chip first popped up on the leak radar, many people assumed the price would be $1,000.

Intel has basically charged a grand for its top-end processor since the days of the first quad-core “Bloomfield” Core i7-965 Extreme Edition. That price held when Intel added two more cores to the Core i7-990X. Several generations later, when Intel “gave” consumers two more cores still, for a total of eight in the Core i7-5960X, the price remained $1,000.

With the 10-core Core i7-6950X, though, there are indications Intel may ramp up the price to $1,500. Again, Intel has never confirmed nor talked about the CPU on the record, but rumors of the higher price have been hot and heavy since January.

Consumers are balking, not surprisingly, but Intel may have good reason for the increase. Intel’s top-end Core i7 chips have alwaysbeen repurposed Xeon chips with a few features turned off. Intel makes serious bank off of Xeons and doesn’t want to cannibalize those sales. If the 10-core Xeon is coming in at a higher price, that could funnel down to the i7-6950X.
But then there’s Zen

The real wild card in all this is AMD’s Zen. This will be the company’s first major CPU launch in years. Redesigned from the ground up and rumored to pack from two to 32 CPU cores, Zen is also adopting an Intel-like Hyper-Threading technology. It could pose the first true competition to Intel’s high-end CPUs since the days of the Athlon FX-51.

Knowing full-well that Zen is arriving later this year, does Intel price its 10-core chip to crush AMD on pricing before it arrives, or just wait and see whether Zen poses a real threat? If Zen is priced to give consumers, say, a 16-core chip at $1,000 or $1,500, does Intel then gut the price of its Core i7-6950X? Who knows.

What we do know for sure today, thanks to ASRock, is that Broadwell-E will indeed have 10 cores. The chip is expected to launch at Computex in June.

Source: PC World

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The CPU/APU Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I love the pricing in that article.
Allow me to simplify:

The newest intel will deliver a 10% performance increase for a 30% price increase over previous gen intel CPU's
Or a 30% performance increase for 987% price increase over Previous gen AMD CPU's

I don't even know why intel bother with pricing.. Like Ray from Archer said: OK, YOU'RE THE PRETTIEST!!!!
The best CPU you can get is an intel....

The best CPU you can get for your money is an AMD FX 8320..
I don't give a fuck what idiot reviewers or benchmarkers say.. (look into who has sponsors BTW)

If you take a stock FX 8350 (on cheap GB AM3+ board) and an OC'd 4790K (4.9GHz) UNDER WATER(on a mid level GB 1150 board) running IDENTICAL MSi Radeon Fury Nano's, with IDENTICAL speed and amounts of RAM, IDENTICAL MONITORS... YOU CANNOT TELL ANY DIFFERENCE in any game below 4K!!!

So to all the fuckwits who watch Linus Tech tips, or google to read "Tech reviews" and then decide "YOU SHOULD GO WITH INTEL!"... SHUT THE FUCK UP UNLESS YOU'VE DONE IT YOURSELF....
I know the fucking numbers I own both have stress tested each to the shithouse... And as someone who bought the parts.. I KNOW THE FUCKING PRICES!! (you can get a good board and 8350 for less than a 4790K on its own)

Feel free to disagree with me if you have both a top end AMD and intel setup sitting 2 feet from you and have seen what both can do..
Till then SHUT THE FUCK UP!, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!

And if someone uses "budget" or: "I don't have heaps to spend" or something along those lines, and you suggest an intel CPU... YOU ARE FRANKLY A FUCKWIT, MORON, INBRED WANKER.... OR just an ignorant cunt...

Next on my takedown list is Nvidia 970 vs the 390.. Real world side by side..

I predect pretty much the same thing.. no noticable difference at a level people would be using them for.. Just have to wait for my firends to pick a side.. so I can buy the opponent and then borrow thiers to test..
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

AMD's 7th generation laptop chips are stronger Intel competitors

Its new high-end chips are 56 percent faster than before.

As is usually the case with major processor upgrades, AMD also focused on power efficiency for the new chips. The company claims its high-end FX chips now use 12 percent less power than the last gen, and the latest A9 processors use 41 percent less power when playing local 1080p videos. At the lower-end, AMD added "Excavator" cores to the new A9, A6 and E2 processors, which gives them a decent performance bump and makes them more efficient at playing HD video.

AMD says its new manufacturing process also allowed it to reach faster clock speeds with the chips. Its high-end FX 9830P offers 3GHz base speeds (with maximum speeds of 3.7GHz), while the lowest end E2-9010 is clocked at 2GHz (max up to 2.2GHz). The new A9 chip, which is being positioned as an Intel Core i3 competitor, gets max speeds 1.5GHz faster than the i3-6100U.

While AMD isn't talking about specific pricing details for these chips (it's not like you can buy them on their own), partners including Dell, HP, ASUS and Lenovo are already using them in new system designs. And of course, you can expect them to reach even more laptops (and some all-in-ones) throughout the year.

Source: Engadget

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Something came up in the video that interested me.. the ITX question.
I'll build a new zen PC if gigabyte comes to the party with a decent ITX board.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

From this point forward, all Intel and AMD CPUs are Windows 10-only

Intel announced and launched its Kaby Lake and Apollo Lake refreshes this week, kicking off its latest initiatives while AMD demonstrated Zen and its upcoming Summit Ridge platform earlier this month. Such announcements typically come with their own laundry lists of new features and capabilities, but it’s worth remembering one feature that prominently won’t be on any CPU or APU products from either company: Windows 7 / 8 support.

As we’ve discussed before, Kaby Lake, Apollo Lake, Bristol Ridge (Excavator APUs) and Summit Ridge (Zen CPUs) are all Windows 10-only. PC World reached out to both companies and both confirmed that their upcoming products would be tied to the Windows 10 product cycle. Microsoft initially intended to speed Skylake away from Windows 7/8 as well, but later backpedaled on this approach and noted it would support these chips throughout their lifespans until Windows 7 exits support in 2020.

This transition has happened before — all hardware typically reaches a point where previous operating systems aren’t supported — but I can’t remember it happening this quickly. That’s partly because Windows 7, like Windows XP before it, became a long-lived OS. While it didn’t ship as Microsoft’s primary operating system for nearly as long as Windows XP, it was still more popular than Windows 8 until months after Windows 10’s debut. Pushing Windows 7 off the support tree, seven years after it was released, may make sense. Windows 8.1, on the other hand, is less than three years’ old.

In this case, Microsoft is killing support for future products under both operating systems as a way to streamline its own support and push more consumers towards using Windows 10. While the build-it-yourself DIY market for desktops has always been small compared to the entire PC market, these changes will inevitably impact users who bought older retail copies of Windows they intended to keep using. The question is, what does it mean to run unsupported hardware under Windows 7/8?

There’s no way to say for sure, but we can hazard a guess based on how previous hardware has handled the transition. Installing these operating systems on newer hardware should work for a long time, but certain capabilities won’t function. Things might be slightly easier on AMD’s side of the fence, since GPU drivers are typically a major component that quits working between operating systems, and AMD will continue to provide discrete graphics drivers for Windows 7 and 8. A little INF editing and some third-party downloads should keep these segments functional for at least a little while down the line.

As time passes, new features build on old features, and support for those features becomes expected at both the hardware and software levels. There’s a huge gap between “Can I literally boot the operating system” and “Would I want to use this system for daily production?” This page on installing Windows XP on an unsupported Haswell laptop highlights a number of the issues the author encountered, including reformatting the installed hard drive from GPT to MBR, slipstreaming AHCI drivers into the Windows XP install CD, giving up on the installed wireless card, USB3, and most video acceleration. Features like HDMI ports don’t work either.

At some point, trying to shoe-horn an older OS on to newer hardware becomes more trouble than its reasonably worth for the majority of people. It’s actually easier to build classic machines on old second-hand hardware and use those than to try and keep newer systems functional. We’re going to hit that point more quickly than usual with Zen and Kaby Lake and I expect there’ll be some frustration along the way — Microsoft may be pushing Intel and AMD to phase out support for older hardware but the company isn’t likely to win any converts for its strategy in the process.

Source: ExtremeTech

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I'm pissed at AMD.
In their launch presentation they kept mentioning that the intel they compared to was $1100.. at least 3 times they brought it up. Then didn't say how much Ryzen will cost.
The whole presentation could have been 10 minutes of benchmarks then the statement $599, and mic drop...
(Think Sony Playstation after the Saturn E3 announcement)

I highly doubt it will launch for anywhere near that cheap, but if AMD want to undo a decade of total intel market domination, it simply has to be.
They've severely upset the enthusiast market, and can't sell to the masses.

and another thing, ryzen is the worst name ever! It sounds like a brand of garden hoses and fittings.
'Try the new ryzen kink proof, secure fit hose hose system available in 15, 30 and 40 metre lengths from all good retailers'

Here's a bunch that ALL would have been better:
Furion (I'd have used this)
FEX
ZENOM
-Two Interactive.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

When I saw Ryzen, I thought of Ricin

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So Kaby lake has hit all the stores here..

$450-70 for a 6700K 2 weeks ago.. Fucken $500 for a 7700K today... You'd think they'd drop the prices on the older CPU's.. HAHAHAH NO.. Even places with stock are still selling the 6700K for $460-480. And places with stock of 4790k's are still asking more than $400..
THE 4790K IS NEARLY FUCKING 3 YEARS OLD!!!!

Please AMD, please, please, for the love of fuck price the new CPU's right to put an end to this bullshit monopoly and the blatant price gouging.

All the world needs is a 7700K beater for $350..
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ian wrote: the statement $599, and mic drop...
(Think Sony Playstation after the Saturn E3 announcement)

Well, They've done it!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I pissed myself at this:

Then I saw this and lost it:

Both hilariously true.. :rofl: :rofl2:
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

- 1400: 4 cores, 8 threads running between 3.2-3.4GHz. Priced at US$169
- 1500X: A 10% boost in power over the 1400 (3.5-3.7 GHz) for US$20 more.
- 1600: 6 cores, 12 threads at 3.2-34.GHz, for US$219.
- 1600X: Same setup, but running at 3.6-4.0 GHz. Priced at US$249.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

16 cores eh? Sounds interesting, I might buy one in 10 years. As of now I'd like to buy a i7-3770k but my i3-3570k is still running everything just fine!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:rofl:

Wanting more details on threadripper. Might jump in at the bottom end of hedt if local prices are ok
-Two Interactive.