Retro Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Retro Gaming Thread

Post by ian »

I've been playing Yoshi's Island while classic simpsons episodes play in the background.. the game has aged AMAZINGLY!! (and so has the show)
Seriously, of ALL the games on this snes mini that I played when they were new.. Yoshi's island holds up WAY BETTER than any of them.

in another plus.. the first super mario world is only as fucking shit as it ever was.. I'm tempted to mod the thing simply to take off super mario world, and put super mario all stars in it's place.. y'know, playable mario games :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I never liked Mario World as much as Yoshi's Island or 1 and 3. I never got the fuss over it like everyone else did.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Played SMW when it came out (Was a pack in with my SNEz) beat all 96 levels, never had the desire to play it again.

I didn't play that much of Yoshi's Island at the time, I think I'd moved on to PlayStation when it came out,.

Obvs with the Classic SNEz mini released last month I've had a chance to play it again and after the first couple of levels I really got into it.

I guess the visual style was kind of a precursor to cell shading which Nintendo get a lot of flack for, but compared to past titles those games hold up incredibly well.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Mario World is my favourite 2D Mario game.

Yoshi's Island is good, but I couldn't stand Baby Mario's crying and the alarm sound.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Mario World is my favourite 2D Mario game.

Yoshi's Island is good, but I couldn't stand Baby Mario's crying and the alarm sound.
Then you just need to practice so you don't lose him ;)

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Mario World is my favourite 2D Mario game
Not saying it's a bad game, Mean Machines gave it 98% back in the day and they didn't hand out near perfect scores often. I completed the game in a day while I was off sick from school so I think it's just a case of overkill, lol
Skynet wrote: Then you just need to practice so you don't lose him ;)
Never lose Baby Mario.. ever!
I can't get no...

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Another Sonic 3D update, it actually looks pretty cool

I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The most surprising part of this new director's cut is if he stays within the original's space limitations

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet wrote:Then you just need to practice so you don't lose him ;)
Even when he was only off for a few seconds the sound annoyed the shit out of me.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Mario World is my favourite 2D Mario game.

Mario 3s my fave Mario game but SMW is a very close second. The art style of Yoshis Island I'm not really a fan of, gives me a headache.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

When I was a kid I couldn't understand the hype of Mario World. I played through it and beat it, but I never really wanted to play it again unit MUCH later. Nowadays I love Mario World, but it took 20 years for me to finally appreciate it. Yoshi Island, on the other hand, was a game I loved from the beginning. I didn't like the high difficulty of the game back then, but everything else is fantastic.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Matisfaction wrote:
I'm saving this one for later :)

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I was brainwashed at an early age to believe in the One True Mario:

Mario World should always be ranked higher than Yoshi's Island, even if the latter is a better game. SMW was so huge when it came out and it freaking invented the main character from Yoshi's Island. :lol:

I can barely look at Mario World objectively in 2017 because I've beaten it so many times. But in it's time (except for it's easy difficulty) it was better than Mario 3 in almost every other way. Mario World had such great new ideas for 1991 (Yoshi, branching paths on overworld, huge secrets) that it will always be better received than Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi's Island is a much more focused game in terms of gameplay mechanics like egg throwing and Baby Mario. It's a tighter game with a better scope, except for those stupid vehicle upgrades.

This is a much better debate than the tweens on Reddit proclaiming Super Mario Sunshine as the series' best title, especially over Super Mario Galaxy (and my dead body).

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote:This is a much better debate than the tweens on Reddit proclaiming Super Mario Sunshine as the series' best title, especially over Super Mario Galaxy (and my dead body).
Sounds like ian has been posting there :olol:

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

BLAST PROCESSING!

I can't get no...

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Matisfaction wrote:
I've played through the first two zones, and it's all the mediocrity I remember! Gamehut has done a great job smoothing the edges of 3D Blast, but outside of a fun nostalgia trip, the updates only really boost this game from a 4.0 dud to a 6.0 so-so attempt at fun.

One thing that should always been remembered: 3D Blast had a great soundtrack.