Nintendo Switch Thread (March 3 2017 worldwide, US$299)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Matisfaction
Global Mod

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread (March 3 2017 worldwide, US$299)

Post by Matisfaction »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Apparently the version of Skyrim being ported is the 360 one.
Same with FIFA according to Eurogamer, is the 360 version basically "Legacy Edition" like on the Wii and Vita?
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction wrote:is the 360 version basically "Legacy Edition" like on the Wii and Vita?
No, they are still adding things to the 360 and PS3 versions. And they still look pretty good.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Just had a look on Amazon and there's a couple of modes missing from the 360 version, here we go again...

I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Australian price: $469.95
Ha.... hahaha... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :rofl:
I don't care if I can make money off it from idiot fanboys who'll pay that much for Zelda alone, for $470 I'm cancelling both my preorders..

They counter the wiiu's problems of being too expensive and having fuck all games, by making something more expensive with fuck all games.
I will wait untill one of 2 things happens:
The gimmick is so popular and after 2 years the market is flooded and they're worth $50 (ala wii)
Or this causes Nintendo to cease operating as a hardware manufacturer.
They are the only 2 things that can possibly happen.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

You realise once you factor US > AU conversion, GST and localisation that basically equals that price, right? You should have factored that in when you preordered.

The Wii got down to that price because they could comfortably sell it for that price.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:You realise once you factor US > AU conversion, GST and localisation that basically equals that price, right? You should have factored that in when you preordered.

The Wii got down to that price because they could comfortably sell it for that price.
$399 would have been ok. (much like when the wii launched.. $399 with a free game and bag was good) considering it's a portable and a home system. but for that much, cheaper buying a PS4/bone and a cheap tablet.

tree fiddy, and everyone would be on board for mario kart and smash brothers..

May as well buy a wiiu with 4 games for $420.. save $50 and play the exact same games :olol:
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I agree, I would have bought it at launch for $349-$399 but when you factor in the AU dollar it was never going to be $399.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

well I've cancelled one order, I'm keeping one for now because in my daily look around of ebay, I see people are still paying $250+ for a recent Nintendo system thats worth $100

So I'm gonna take a gamble on how stupidly popular it will be.
I'm making a big bet that Nintendo fans are batshit crazy, and I'm making a bet there will be a shortage because Nintendo like dicking over their fans..

Worst case, I play mario kart, then sell it when I'm done after a few months (ALA wii). or if the preorders for the first shipment sell out, just sell the preorder on ebay..
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction wrote:Just had a look on Amazon and there's a couple of modes missing from the 360 version, here we go again...
That's because the current gen versions use the new Frostbite engine but the last gen versions don't. The story mode would be the main missing feature but all of the regular modes would be there.

It's probably a port of the mobile version seeing how Switch has a mobile chipset, and that one uses the same engine as the 360/PS3 versions.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

So basically as we all thought, "same old same old", EA, Ubisoft and Activision keeping their hand in with Nintendo console launches on the off chance that if there's another Wii senerio, then they can roll out the cheap shovelware.
I can't get no...

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:I agree, I would have bought it at launch for $349-$399 but when you factor in the AU dollar it was never going to be $399.
If you already own a Wii U there's no real reason to pick up a Switch ATM, chances are that you'll already own Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon (that you can play online for free) and you can also pick up BoTW when it comes out.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

I want to hear from silvercliff

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Nintendo UK publishes Switch console technical specifications

Just ahead of the weekend Nintendo UK published a new page dedicated to its upcoming Switch console. The page contains lots of technical specifications and we learn things such as precise dimensions, weights, video modes, battery capacities, memory card compatibility, and more. Unfortunately one of the most discussed aspects of the new console isn't broken down for us; there are no extra details on the customised Nvidia Tegra processor at the heart of the system.

At the head of Nintendo's new page is a bullet pointed numbered features and connectors diagram (as above). To see the tech specs you have to click to expand and area directly below this. For your convenience I've bullet pointed the full specs below:

Size: 102mm x 239mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con attached), Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight: Approx. 297g (With Joy-Con controllers attached: 398g)
Screen: Capacitive touch screen / 6.2 inch LCD / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU: NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory: 32GB. Please note: a portion of this internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features: Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1 (TV mode only. A wired LAN connection is possible through the use of a commercially available wired LAN adapter.)
Video output: Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps. Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output: Supports linear PCM 5.1ch. Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers: Stereo
USB terminal: USB Type-C terminal. Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Headphone microphone jack: Stereo output
Game card slot: Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot: Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors: Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment: Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery: Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh. Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, we plan to offer paid replacement via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life: Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions. For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a single charge.
Charging time: 3 hours approx. Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

From the above it's particularly interesting to see; the video modes confirmed, microSD compatibility information, and the descriptive (non removable) battery usage information. It's a bit odd that a post-purchase update will be needed for (micro)SDXC compatibility, as this standard was announced back in 2009. As mentioned in the introduction, the only unsatisfying aspect of these tech specs is the lack of detail concerning the 'customised' Nvidia SoC.
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A Month Before Nintendo Switch Launches, We Really Should Know More About It

The Nintendo Switch is dropping on March 3, less than a month from now, and it feels like we still don’t know some key features about the console. But how does that compare to other console launches? Is this lack of information unprecedented or par for the course?

So what don’t we know about the Switch? Although we know it will have a paid online service, we don’t know how it will work or what it will look like (though we know Miiverse won’t be part of it). We don’t know if it will have an achievement system. We also don’t have any concrete information on the Virtual Console, Nintendo’s service for selling digital versions of their classic games, which has been a huge feature on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS.

To see how other consoles compare, we looked back at three different launches: the Wii U, the PS4, and the Xbox One.

It’s worth recognizing that online services just aren’t as big a part of Nintendo consoles as they are on Sony and Microsoft ones. Until now, Nintendo’s online services have been free, and also kinda janky. In any case, we did know about the Miiverse by mid-June 2012—the Wii U would drop on November 18 of that year. By September 14, we also knew that Miiverse would feel more like a social network than a matchmaking service.

As for Virtual Console, we knew that the Wii U’s version of the classic game service would allow you to transfer your old Wii VC purchases by June, 2012. With the Wii U release in November, that means we had we had concrete information on this key feature five months prior.

Regarding the Virtual Console on the Switch, Reggie Fils-Aime has said that more information will come “at a later date,” and also that the introduction of the Nintendo Account has the potential to tie purchases to a particular user. Compared to what we knew about Virtual Console for the Wii U this close to its release, that’s pretty lacking in substance.

Information about the Playstation 4's paid online service and achievement system were revealed at Sony’s E3 press conference in 2013. Some information was clarified closer to release, specifically that the PS4’s online service wouldn’t stick streaming video sites like Netflix behind a paywall, but for the most part, once E3 was over this information was in the wild. Backwards compatibility was slightly more vague. Backwards compatibility was mentioned at E3, and by September 2013, we knew that Sony intended to make the PS3 library playable via Gaikai streaming the following year. The console was set to drop November 13, 2013—again, most of the above information was in the wild five months in advance.

Similarly, Microsoft dropped most of the vital information about the Xbox One at their June 2013 E3 press conference, including information about Xbox Live and changes to the achievements system. Unlike Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft did not emphasize any kind of backwards compatibility—the console wouldn’t be able to play 360 games until June 2015—but Microsoft did claim it would continue to invest in the 360 to push it into new markets. The console released November 22, 2013.

Looking at this information in aggregate is kind of worrying—it seems like five months before release, we knew a lot more about the Wii U, the PS4 and the Xbox One. But what’s especially worrying is the lack of information on Virtual Console, which is a key feature specifically for Nintendo consoles, and could make the Switch a must buy. If you just want a Zelda machine, you already know everything you need to know for now. But compared to previous consoles, the Switch appears to be built on a foundation of hype more than anything else.

Source: Kotaku

Miyamoto: Games made with PC as a base can be ported to Switch in about a year

Analyst Hideki Yasuda wrote up a new article on GamesIndustry Japan earlier today. There’s one part of the piece pertaining to third-parties that stood out to us in particular.

Yasuda talks about how many investors were anticipating major overseas third-party games to be announced for Switch, but the timing wasn’t right (due to E3 being a few months away, etc.). He then mentions that NIS is making Disgaea 5 Complete for the system’s launch, which used to be a PS4-only title. NIS was never really on Nintendo platforms before, and their few Wii / DS games were buried among other games leading to a lack of success. 3DS also didn’t receive a high amount of support from NIS because of its unique specifications. With Switch though, the company is bringing over a PS4 title and on day one.

Yasuda was in attendance at Nintendo’s Corporate Management Policy Briefing, and relayed a comment from Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto said that games developed with PC as a base can be ported to Switch in about a year. The report also adds that the console was revealed to third-parties last summer. It’s thought that we could therefore see major multiplatform titles starting from the fall season

Source: Nintendo Everything

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Guy Gets Nintendo Switch Early Has No Games to Play on It

We all know that the Nintendo Switch will be released worldwide on March 3, but it looks like a lucky NeoGAF user named hiphoptherobot has managed to get his hands on the new console much earlier. Indeed, his Switch pre-order arrived two weeks ahead of schedule, but the sad news is that he doesn’t have any games to play on it, and all he can do now is just flip through the menus. Of course, he could always go online and visit the Nintendo eShop, but that could potentially get the store that delivered the console in trouble, not to mention that his own hardware might just get banned for going online too early.

Still, at least we can all have a look at the Switch’s menu system thanks to this shipping error, as hiphoptherobot posted a video in which he goes through the Switch’s setup process and looks at the News page. We also get to see the differences between dark and light themes, the resolution settings, a tutorial for detaching the Joy-con controllers, tutorials for taking screenshots, and the screenshot gallery. The video also shows off a minimalistic interface that seems to be a hybrid between Android UI and the menu found on PlayStation 4 consoles. Just have a look below for a short glimpse of a Nintendo Switch in action.
source seems the vid doesnt embed, or I'm doin it wrong but its on the linked page

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Purchases are tied to your NNID, Region Free, fast streamlined UI... Better late than never I suppose.
I can't get no...

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Leaked Nintendo Switch was Stolen

A few days ago, a boxed, final release Nintendo Switch made it into the hands of one lucky NeoGAF user, who posted photos and a video of the new home/portable hybrid console in action. The model in question, though, was stolen, according to Nintendo, and the employees responsible have been fired. The Japanese company revealed to IGN that a number of Switch units were pinched by (now former) staff at a US distribution centre, and at least one of them was sold.

“Earlier this week, individuals claimed to prematurely purchase a small number of Nintendo Switch systems from an unspecified retailer,” a Nintendo spokesperson told IGN. “Nintendo has determined these units were stolen in an isolated incident by employees of a U.S. distributor, with one system being illegally resold. The individuals involved have been identified, terminated from their place of employment and are under investigation by local law enforcement authorities on criminal charges.”

“Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time,” the spokesperson added.

NeoGAF user hiphoptherobot, who claimed that he obtained his Switch early due to a shipping error, was unable to play any games on the console, but showed off its screen, joycons, and menus in action.
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

They look almost identical to Vita carts.