Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sega Investigating Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remasters

Sega says it's not as simple as porting to PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Sega has said it is "investigating" high-definition re-releases of the first two Shenmue games, but noted that licensing issues are creating some complications. Speaking in an episode of Sega Central, Sega Europe community manager Dan Sheridan said the company would "love to release these tomorrow."

"Sadly it's not as simple as porting the games to the current platforms," he continued. "We need to ensure that any HD remaster lives up to the quality of the original titles."

"With games as immersive as [Shenmue and Shenmue 2], there are further complications [involving] licensed products that were included in the original games. That said, we'd love to do it and are currently investigating how to make it a reality."

The Japanese version of Shenmue featured Coco-Cola vending machines, which were replaced with Jet Cola in the Western releases. It may be that they are among the licensed products causing issues.

Shenmue was released for Sega's Dreamcast in 1999 to widespread critical acclaim. GameSpot's review described the title as "revolutionary." Shenmue 2 was released for the Dreamcast two years later.

A Kickstarter campaign for the third entry in the series was revealed during Sony's E3 press conference, and it was funded in record time. It very quickly exceeded $2 million and as a result a number of the project's stretch goals have also been met. This effectively expanded the scope of the game to include a skill tree and a rapport system, as well as additional quests and expanded areas.

Series creator Yu Suzuki previously said that, for it to be a "true open world" game, funding would need to hit at least $10 million and provided a way for people to continue donating after the Kickstarter drive ended. Asked about this, Suzuki said he wouldn't be disappointed if that figure wasn't reached as he "will make what [he] can within the budget from your money."

The Shenmue 3 website states over $6,550,000 has been pledged.

Shenmue 3 is scheduled to come to both PC and PlayStation 4. Sony is helping to market and produce Shenmue 3, but won't be receiving any of the money raised through Kickstarter.

Ys Net has said it is aiming for a December 2017 launch for Shenmue 3.

Source: Gamespot

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Sega Investigating Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remasters

Post by Skynet »

I'm still skeptical it'll come out on time. It'll either be delayed or episodic no doubt.

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

They should have "investigated" this ages ago. I can't imagine them not knowing in advance that Yu would reach a deal to make Shenmue 3.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sega Europe Registers 'Shenmue HD' domain

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/01/05/a-do ... ga-europe/

https://whois-search.com/whois/www.shenmuehd.com

It seems SEGA Europe has registered a domain name called “Shenmuehd.com”. In fact, they’re mentioned directly as “Sega Europe Ltd.” If there’s one thing past experiences have taught us here on TSSZ, it’s that a domain registration is not only very accurate with SEGA projects, but it usually means that that SEGA project is very close to being unveiled.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Remastered Shenmue Series Coming to PC?

With the Kickstarted Shenmue III still in its protracted development stage, a rumour has emerged that, if true, should tide fans over for a while. According to Rice Digital, Atlus is planning to remaster the first two games in the Shenmue series – the first released for Dreamcast in 1999 and the second in 2002 for Dreamcast and Xbox – for release on PC.

“A trusted source close to Atlus USA, today revealed to me that Shenmue HD Remaster will be released this year,” Rice reports. “Both games, Episodes 1 & 2, may be released together rather than separately. They are presumably being geared up for launch to precede Shenmue III, which could possibly slip into 2018.”

As rumours go, this one has a good chance of coming to fruition. Sega has already discussed the possibility of re-releasing the two games, and the company even registered the ShenmueHD.com domain at the end of 2016.

As far as Shenmue III goes, it seems we could be waiting quite a while for its release. The latest update for the game was posted to Kickstarter just before Christmas, revealing that motion capture and voice recording had not yet commenced.

“R&D for various game elements is on course as the development team shifts its focus towards production,” Ys Net said. “Main game scenarios are nearing completion, motion capture tests are well under way, and voicing tests with the cast have begun. Yu-san and the production staff are happy to say they are enjoying the work as they continue to diligently make progress on the mini-games, events, and battles.”

“I have been completely absorbed in development Shenmue III recently, and often stay at the studio throughout the night to make it the best game possible,” series creator Yu Suzuki added. “My life has become Shenmue both day and night, and I’m happy.”
spurce

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I want to drive a forklift at 4K.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I can't wait to spend money on these remastered just to remind myself why I didn't like this series.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

If they're doing remasters. I am only really interested in SHMOO 2... I played about 2 hours of it on xbox, before I just stopped playing thinking it would never have an ending.. Then the Xbox died and I sold the games.. I kept my DC SHMOO 1 and 2 but the lack of english on the DC SHMOO 2 always pissed me off!

I am still hoping to have 2 finished by the time 3 comes out. I still have a working DC + official VGA adapter. and a fucking amazing 21" 4:3 NEC Monitor that I will play on and I recently acquired a pair of Harman Kardon stereo speakers.. They're old, and lack a sub.. But fuck they're better and louder than ANY 2.1 set from any other manufacturer in existence.

After I play the shmoos and try to go for the crazy taxi world record again, I'll probably get rid of the dreamcast.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:the lack of english on the DC SHMOO 2 always pissed me off!
I preferred it in Japanese over that god awful dubbing.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:

IMO the WORST English dubbing is better than reading subs..
I'll wait for any english dub over subbing... If you've ever seen The Castle of Cagliostro on the original English dub.. IT'S FUCKING HILARIOUS!! Better than the source material. "thumbsup
-Two Interactive.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:
Sub > Dub every time.
I can't get no...

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I don't read anime, I watch anime. For me it's dubs or nothing.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

As with me, though for slightly different reasons

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

It's not just the fact the the majority of dubs sound awful, you also end up on missing out on most of the original dialogue, especially in anime.

Games wise you end up with general japanese phrases replaced with silly annoying slang terms. Luckily some games allow you to switch the audio but others you're stuck with it.
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote:I don't read anime, I watch anime. For me it's dubs or nothing.
Hawq wrote:As with me, though for slightly different reasons

Thank you gents.

I'll wait bloody 5 years to HEAR how something ends (COUGH Inuyasha Final Act COUGH).. Even though I could have read how it ended the day after Japan knew..

All I need to do is refer to Kaworu Nagisa. From my first introduction to anime... Subbed, he's just weird.. but dubbed, he's like a fucking spirit animal who you would die for!!! :heart:

In some cases it doesn't matter in the slightest.. Like with Naruto (Which I never liked BTW) The hardcore SUB/manga dicks were all like SPOILERS.. SUCKED IN PEASANTS!!!.. and then the Anime ended differently anyway.. :rofl:

I suppose I am a bit Biased as I've met most of the English voice actors in any given anime you've ever seen. But if I wanted to read what was happening, I'd learn Japanese and decipher these Hentai books I got given after a friends trip to japan..
:rofl:
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

:whatthe: people actually read the story in those?

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

In some cases it doesn't matter in the slightest.. Like with Naruto
The Naruto Dub is pretty bad actually, its not just Naruto's whiney voice either, most of the dialogue is badly translated and the "Americanised" catchphrases really grate after a while. In fact I think they even dropped the "Believe It" thing in later episodes due to it being really annoying.
I can't get no...

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

When Shenmue II was released as a European exclusive for the Dreamcast I was dissapointed that it only had subtitles. I ordered the game immediately anyway and still enjoyed the game just fine. In the end I would have preferred English voices, but I looked at it like playing Skies of Arcadia. Great game but has no voiceover at all. Atleast Shenmue 2 had the Japanese voices.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I wash that BotW had stuck to just text, the English dub is pretty awful.

Or at least give us the option to choose between English/Japanese audio like Soul Calibur II
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »