Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Skynet »

Code-Red wrote:Also, switched to Gigabit internet.

You should see the speedtest I get on my newly "upgraded" service the govt. thinks will last Australia for years. It's 18Mbps/6Mbps.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Ian, 2400mhz is more than enough, especially if the timing is tight (cas 14). Also, what's with your prices, I thought we (Can and Aus) were paying roughly the same for PC hardware again?
Skynet wrote:

You should see the speedtest I get on my newly "upgraded" service the govt. thinks will last Australia for years. It's 18Mbps/6Mbps.
Yea, you guys are trailing the rest of the world. Occasionally I hear Canadians complaining about the service we get here... in my head I'm always thinking "you should thank the fucking stars you're not in Australia with 5d/.5u for $60/month". I mean, we have a ways to go, especially with the bullshit upload speeds we get in comparison to download, but I can't complain too much.

Are there any plans to roll out better services in Australia?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Code-Red wrote:Ian, 2400mhz is more than enough, especially if the timing is tight (cas 14). Also, what's with your prices, I thought we (Can and Aus) were paying roughly the same for PC hardware again?
Skynet wrote:

Yea, you guys are trailing the rest of the world. Occasionally I hear Canadians complaining about the service we get here... in my head I'm always thinking "you should thank the fucking stars you're not in Australia with 5d/.5u for $60/month". I mean, we have a ways to go, especially with the bullshit upload speeds we get in comparison to download, but I can't complain too much.

Are there any plans to roll out better services in Australia?
That is the "better" service the govt rolled out. A lot of areas have 100/40 connections. They're also looking at doing real world customer trials of 1000/400 as well. You can also get 400/400 connections too. It's just I happened to get screwed in my area. This govt and their idea of technology for the future is ridiculous. Thew new national network uses something stupid like 7 different types of infrastructure. If you get fibre, awesome. If you get absolute dog shit, too bad. The pricing is pretty much the same across the board too.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Same thing here, while fiber has been in commercial areas for decades, theyve only in recent years started expanding to nodes in residential areas and it was a crap shoot as far as when you'd get it. The downtown core was obviously first, then the rich neighbourhoods.... I was actually kind of surprised when they said it was available here. Quality has been decent thusfar, 600-800 Mbps download and 20-40 upload, varies by the day. Apparently there is more tuning and fiber to lay so service will improve more in the coming years.

Most of my PC parts are here other than the motherboard. AM4 motherboards are harder to find then hens teeth. Decided Im going to (hesitantly) empty my wallet on a GTX 1080Ti and pick up a 144hz 1440p monitor. Running with the stock wraith cooler until EK sends me a new backplate for my water cooling loop.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

I've left the DVI club finally, ordered a DisplayPort 1.2 cable. Currently have a Asus 23" 120hz 3D 1080p display that my brother gave me, still kind of deciding whether I really want to go high refresh or ultrawide. Also ordered:

- Tomoko Mechanical Blue keyboard
- Logitech G300S (honest to fucking god my first high DPI "gaming mouse", I've always used shit basic $20 mice)
- Extended mouse mat

Edit: Bought an EVGA 1080Ti. This is officially the most expensive build I've ever done. Easily nearing $3k now. :ocry:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Code-Red wrote:I've left the DVI club finally, ordered a DisplayPort 1.2 cable. Currently have a Asus 23" 120hz 3D 1080p display that my brother gave me, still kind of deciding whether I really want to go high refresh or ultrawide. Also ordered:

- Logitech G300S (honest to fucking god my first high DPI "gaming mouse", I've always used shit basic $20 mice)

Edit: Bought an EVGA 1080Ti. This is officially the most expensive build I've ever done. Easily nearing $3k now. :ocry:

Welcome to the DP club..
Welcome to the Good mouse club (if you can call a g300s a good mouse, grab a g500, g700s or g900.. g700 is the best mouse ever made)
Welcome to the 3K PC club..

and don't go high refresh OR ultrawide.. go Ultra HD, and ultra expensive.. you got a TI, get something that will make use of it "thumbsup

As for things I've bought lately:
I've tried 2 times to get a ryzen board locally.. sold out both times at 3 stores.. so I'm just waiting for a god damn motherboard. :frown:

and got given a WHOLE lot of older computers.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

I'll go 4K when the prices drop further and they refresh quicker than 30hz. After living with this 6950 and 1055T for so long, it'll be nice seeing buttery smooth gameplay again, I'm more concerned with that than eye candy at the moment. I did see a refurbished G700 for $44, might jump on that if I'm not happy with the G300.

Tried to order a Gigabyte Gaming 5 yesterday, as I noticed it went into stock all over the province in several stores - although they were only getting one or two each. The moment they went into stock, I called to reserve and they were already on hold. Finally found one store with stock, and was in such a panic to buy I accidentally ordered an Aorus Z270 Gaming 5. Talked with the support tech for about two hours about Ryzen, and he ended up setting aside a AsRock Taichi for me out of the next batch.

The moment that board is removed from the box its getting taped up and plasti-dipped/painted plain black. Seriously, who thought this was a good design? I'd rather have the green PCB and rainbow of sockets or slots from the 90's than this shit.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I ordered a 3D printer. Specifically a New Matter Mod-T 3D Printer. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It's a cheap small printer compared to others on the market, but I think it will be a good starting point in learning how to print.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Code-Red wrote:I'll go 4K when the prices drop further and they refresh quicker than 30hz. After living with this 6950 and 1055T for so long, it'll be nice seeing buttery smooth gameplay again, I'm more concerned with that than eye candy at the moment. I did see a refurbished G700 for $44, might jump on that if I'm not happy with the G300.

Tried to order a Gigabyte Gaming 5 yesterday, as I noticed it went into stock all over the province in several stores - although they were only getting one or two each. The moment they went into stock, I called to reserve and they were already on hold. Finally found one store with stock, and was in such a panic to buy I accidentally ordered an Aorus Z270 Gaming 5. Talked with the support tech for about two hours about Ryzen, and he ended up setting aside a AsRock Taichi for me out of the next batch.

The moment that board is removed from the box its getting taped up and plasti-dipped/painted plain black. Seriously, who thought this was a good design? I'd rather have the green PCB and rainbow of sockets or slots from the 90's than this shit.

There's 28" 4K AOC monitors on sale down here for $370 ATM... Even I am considering one, and I am insanely happy with my 27" LG 4K screen..

Don't get me wrong, you should be happy with a G300... People still LOVE the G300's and G400's becuase they liked the MX 510's/518's so fucking much that when their MX's die They'll pay a LOT for something similar... I recently sold a g400 for $50 because it felt the same as an MX518... Even NEW the G400 cost $35-39... And it doesn't help logitech that the G402, G502 and G900 SUCK ASS!!!

And as for Ryzen mobo's.. ATM your best off with ANYTHING but ASUS.. Even if your board is FUGLY :olol:
-Two Interactive.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

I don't think the wait for computer parts has ever sucked as much as this.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I got sick of waiting, so spent the money on other stuff.. so now I have to wait more.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Raspberry Pi 3
4:3 LCD monitor
Arcade sticks & buttons & other stuff

Making an Ikea Raspberry Pi arcade table.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Cool!

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

I just threw out one of those coffee tables, never thought of making it into a table top arcade

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The monitor was $10 from a pawn shop. It's already in the table. Just waiting for the buttons/sticks to arrive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I actually have a black version of that table that I was planning on removing from the current location. Maybe I should look into this.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's pretty easy to do and fairly cheap compared to the other make your own arcade options out there.

Not as cheap and easy as the TrashCade though.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:It's pretty easy to do and fairly cheap compared to the other make your own arcade options out there.
I should probably use my existing arcade machine more prior to making another one. :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I remember your old topic about the arcade machine but for some reason I thought you didn't finish it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I remember your old topic about the arcade machine but for some reason I thought you didn't finish it.
It's 100% together and works fine. I just never finished painting it. :olol: