Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Got given an Xperia Play.

A state of the art freebie!

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Wow that's weird, just ditched my Xperia for one of the new Nokia phones.
I can't get no...

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I really liked my Xperia Play. I paid $45 for mine years ago. It's pretty dated now, but at the time it was the best retro handheld I had for anything pre N64.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

My cousin is still using a play. Got it as soon as it was out, and even now the screen is cracked and battery life is about 3 hours, he won't get rid of it.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This one is in pretty good condition. I'll stick some games on it and have a play (hey hey!) around with it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

17" samsung syncmaster 740N. Perfect panel condition, 1280 x 1024, Great colour reproduction: Blacks, and all colours but white are bang on, and white is only off by the slightest amount of yellow tinge to it. (which I wouldn't have noticed if not for putting it next to my recently and properly calibrated LG, it looks really perfect to the naked eye by itself)
$1.
Will be using this as a monitor for my dreamcast to play Shenmue and 2 on, because TV's make the picture look crap even with VGA
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Skynet wrote:Oculus Rift with third sensor

I wasn't going to do it but at the price I bit the bullet. I really do want a Vive instead, but with the sale Oculus is having I bought it.
My order has been processed. I should receiving shipping details soon!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ian wrote:2 transcend 240gb SSDs. $65 each.
Got a deal on yet another one of the same. $80. (They still go for $105)
Simply cause someone I used to work with remembered me and said he could do it. They didn't have the video card I wanted in stock, but in a few days I'm grabbing an MSi 1030 for $110 (because the ASUS one in stock doesn't had DP, and didn't have stock of the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC)
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Gigabyte R7 360 OC edition. $95 (Under $100 so I'm happy would have been happier a month ago when they were on sale for $75, fuck waiting for 1030)
Simplecom VGA to HDMI converter. $16
Licht Dagger cheap RGB 120mm fan and controller. $9
Licht Blade cheap RGB 120mm Fan $9 (say it plugs into the daggers controller, just a molex plug, so I'll take it back for another Dagger)
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

For the first time in my life, I have purchased a video card that is not ATI/AMD. My new video card is an Nvidia 1070. I've been buying ATI cards since my All-In-Wonder Radeon back in 2000. But for my new 4K TV, the Radeon 580 was just too underwhelming to consider. And the Vega cards are out of my price range (not to mention impossible to find in stock). So I jumped ship. Still setting it all up, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:For the first time in my life, I have purchased a video card that is not ATI/AMD. My new video card is an Nvidia 1070. I've been buying ATI cards since my All-In-Wonder Radeon back in 2000. But for my new 4K TV, the Radeon 580 was just too underwhelming to consider. And the Vega cards are out of my price range (not to mention impossible to find in stock). So I jumped ship. Still setting it all up, but hopefully it will be worth it.
I have a 1070, pretty happy with it. I don't do anything above 1080p though.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Skynet wrote:
melancholy wrote:For the first time in my life, I have purchased a video card that is not ATI/AMD. My new video card is an Nvidia 1070. I've been buying ATI cards since my All-In-Wonder Radeon back in 2000. But for my new 4K TV, the Radeon 580 was just too underwhelming to consider. And the Vega cards are out of my price range (not to mention impossible to find in stock). So I jumped ship. Still setting it all up, but hopefully it will be worth it.
Yeah, so I've been playing with it the last hour with GTAV and the NaturalVision mod. It's absolutely breathtaking, especially on this TV, but the 4K portion doesn't really look any different than 1080p. I eventually just turned the 4K off and enjoyed the added framerate because my eyes just don't see the difference when sitting 8 feet away from a 55" TV. I have a feeling that most of my positive experience with this TV is going to be more of contrast and color versus 4K. Still, just having the performance boost of this card is definitely nice over my 390.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:
Yeah, AMD dropped the ball this time around. It's not like in the past where ATI/AMD had a comparatively equal performing card for less money (like the r9 290/x vs the 970 or the fury x vs the 980ti or the 7870 vs 960 or the 6970 vs the gtx 480.. going all the back to the geforce 2 days) the new vega 64 cards cost almost as much as 1080ti's and only trade blows with the 1070 and 1080.

And Skynet, you should step up to 1440. 1070's can do it really good.

I'm holding off on any cards till the mining craze is over.. you could get 1080's for $550-600 before it all took off, now fucking 1070's are going for at least $650...

a 1070 is worth fucken $500 :olol:
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:
Skynet wrote:
Yeah, AMD dropped the ball this time around. It's not like in the past where ATI/AMD had a comparatively equal performing card for less money (like the r9 290/x vs the 970 or the fury x vs the 980ti or the 7870 vs 960 or the 6970 vs the gtx 480.. going all the back to the geforce 2 days) the new vega 64 cards cost almost as much as 1080ti's and only trade blows with the 1070 and 1080.

And Skynet, you should step up to 1440. 1070's can do it really good.

I'm holding off on any cards till the mining craze is over.. you could get 1080's for $550-600 before it all took off, now fucking 1070's are going for at least $650...

a 1070 is worth fucken $500 :olol:
I only have 1080p monitors currently. I bought a new monitor the other week but it was 1080p, I didn't have heaps to spend after getting my Rift for almost $700.

I got my 1070 not long after they came out and it was about $700 ish I think. I know someone who got the exact same one as me (G1 gaming) and it cost him more than I spent I reckon.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Thats fair enough. But much like VR, one you try higher res, it will blow you away, unlike VR you won't get sick of it after a few months/year.
I tried a vive a few months back at a friends house, and it was.. HOLY SHIT, THIS IS AMAZING! Not the virtual boy / 3D movie gimmick I was expecting at all. genuinely impressive, and I was looking into it.. the othe other day he asked if I wanted to buy his vive. Had it like 4 months..

And yeah, they launched here around.. june-ish Last year. And were at about $650-750 (and that included the fuck Australia tax, and the brand new video card tax)
Then went down to acceptable levels over the course of time.. then by late March/ april, they came back to fuck you levels.

Only way gpus could be more fuck you right now is if you even consider an AMD.. the rx 580s were good for the under $400 you could pick them up for.. not for the million dollar minimum asking price today.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

PowerColor Radeon 9100
Gigabyte Radeon 9600
4 seagate baricuda 80GB sata hard drives.

Traded some pentium 1, 2 and 3 laptops.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Silverback needed some PC upgrades so Minecraft would run better with mods, here's what I picked out for him.

Galax GTX 1050 Ti OC 4G
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
ASRock AB350M-PRO4
16G Kit (8Gx2) 2400 G.Skill Flare-X

He's happy, MC is running fast while he's got videos and stuff running on another monitor.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Silverback needed some PC upgrades so Minecraft would run better with mods, here's what I picked out for him.

Galax GTX 1050 Ti OC 4G
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
ASRock AB350M-PRO4

He's happy, MC is running fast while he's got videos and stuff running on another monitor.
a Ryzen 5 and a 1050ti for minecraft.. he'll be happy for like 15 years. :olol:

also I got:
Asus PB278Q 1440P $350. already have one, and a little more than I wanted to pay, but they're fucking amazing monitors.
MSI i7 GE60 FHD Gaming Laptop. $190. added my own hdd, but saw it can take an msata ssd. probably get one of them soon.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I picked up a Steam Link when they were $15 on Amazon. So far, it works much better than advertised over wifi but I wouldn't use it for multiplayer games. Another bonus is that it will stream anything on your desktop, so bootleg sports streams work too.

That said, I don't think it's worth $50 unless you've got an ethernet connection in your living room.

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Silverback needed some PC upgrades so Minecraft would run better with mods, here's what I picked out for him.

Galax GTX 1050 Ti OC 4G
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
ASRock AB350M-PRO4

Someone put all those chickens in his house, that's why it was running so poorly.