General Tech News/Discussion Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

General Tech News/Discussion Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

BroadBit metallic sodium batteries, 10x more power than Lithium-Ion, 5-minute full charge

BroadBit has invented and is commercializing a new type of metallic sodium battery in two families: Hi-Energy batteries with twice the energy per weight and Hi-Power batteries with ten times the power as todays lithium-ion batteries. BroadBits Hi-Power batteries can be fully charged in as little as 5 minutes. BroadBits batteries are made with abundant and cheap raw materials (e.g. table salt) and its manufacturing process is simpler than Li-ion. With these advantages, BroadBit expects its cost per kWh to be a third that of Li-ion when in mass production. Moreover, initial tests of the technology show no detectable degradation in battery performance over 600 cycles. This is because, unlike Li-ion, there are no side reactions, dendrite formation or mechanical stress due to ion intercalation.

These innovations, if BroadBit can turn them into mass production and meet their promises, could make mobile devices lighter, faster charging and longer lasting and will finally enable low-cost, high range and convenient electric vehicles including cars, buses, bikes and even electric air planes and bring about the long awaited post combustion era of transportation. BroadBit is now scaling production of its proprietary electrolytes, anodes and cathodes and is looking for partners worldwide to assemble batteries from its components.

Source: ARMDevices

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: General Tech News/Discussion Thread

Post by melancholy »

That is too much good news in one article. I have to know what the downside of those batteries are.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It seems like at least once or twice a year for the past 5 years there's been an article about a longer lasting battery that charges ultra quick but none of them have actually appeared yet.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Samsung’s new 512GB SSD is smaller than a US postage stamp, lighter than a dime

If you want the ultimate in storage and speed in your PC today, then an M.2 SSD like the Samsung 950 Pro is where it’s at. Up to 512GB of memory boasting write speeds of 2,500MB/s in a package no longer than 6cm. Get the right motherboard and you can just slide it into a slot on the bottom never to be seen again. But technology moves on, miniaturization happens, and Samsung has created a new, ridiculously tiny SSD.

Samsung has for the first time (and an industry first) created a complete 512GB SSD solution in a single one-chip package. That’s the storage using 20mm NAND chips, 4Gb of DDR4 memory, and a controller in one to create an SSD called the PM971-NVMe.

That’s impressive enough, but then you realize the size of this thing. Samsung has managed to cram the entire SSD on to a chip that measures just 20 x 16mm and weighs about a gram. For comparison, a typical US postage stamp measures roughly 22 x 25mm and a dime weighs in at 2.3 grams.

You can easily fit up to seven of these chips on to an M.2 SSD if my calculations are correct, suggesting there’s some massive storage gains to be had for that format soon. However, Samsung’s main focus for the PM971 is laptops. That’s because this chip won’t need to adapt to fit one of the industry standard slots, it can instead be soldered directly on to the motherboard. As it’s only 1.5mm thick, Ultrabook manufacturers (and Apple) will be quick to order.

Performance of the PM971 can’t match the best of class M.2 SSDs, but it still achieves 1,500MB/s reads and 900MB/s writes using Samsung’s TurboWrite tech to form a write buffer on the chip. I’d gladly accept that level of performance inside my next laptop. Manufacturers will also get to choose between 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage options, all of which are available this month.

Source: Geek

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I want that table so hard. That is literally the coolest invention I've seen this year.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

SO.. CES this year was a bit shit. :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Didn't see a GPU thread, so I'll post this here: https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Car ... -Next-Week

Gtx 1080Ti released, faster than a Titan XP for $699usd. Not as bad as I was expecting. 1080 price has been lowered to $500.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Code-Red wrote:Didn't see a GPU thread
Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Now they just need to make those things like in West World, as well as the technology to make Hosts and we're done!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So a couple of weeks ago I decided I've had enough with my ISP, so I started looking into alternatives.
With no sign of NBN coming here I looked into the same as I had (naked ADSL) just for more usage and maybe better prices..

Yesterday I got a letter from iinet addressed to 'The internet lover' telling me I could pre order NBN.
At first I wanted to call them up and yell at them for being cocks and offering a pre order on something I wouldn't get in my lifetime... when my area wasn't on the map for nbn

So I go to the NBN site, and they've started doing it.. so now I'll be looking into NBN.

so that makes all my ADSL research and enquiries useless, but not long till I can get something a little better.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:So a couple of weeks ago I decided I've had enough with my ISP, so I started looking into alternatives.
With no sign of NBN coming here I looked into the same as I had (naked ADSL) just for more usage and maybe better prices..

Yesterday I got a letter from iinet addressed to 'The internet lover' telling me I could pre order NBN.
At first I wanted to call them up and yell at them for being cocks and offering a pre order on something I wouldn't get in my lifetime... when my area wasn't on the map for nbn

So I go to the NBN site, and they've started doing it.. so now I'll be looking into NBN.

so that makes all my ADSL research and enquiries useless, but not long till I can get something a little better.
iiNet do preorders, we'll be doing them soon. I think the preorder time is 3 months or less. I don't trust the preorder process because of how fucked NBNco is, they fuck up the rollout so bad it's a joke.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:
ian wrote:So a couple of weeks ago I decided I've had enough with my ISP, so I started looking into alternatives.

iiNet do preorders, we'll be doing them soon. I think the preorder time is 3 months or less. I don't trust the preorder process because of how fucked NBNco is, they fuck up the rollout so bad it's a joke.

yeah, I won't be preordering internet.. it's internet for gods sake. I'm just going to see where it goes.
-Two Interactive.