The Elder Scrolls thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Elder Scrolls thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Special Edition Trailer

Post by melancholy »

This looks great and all, but I pretty much had all these features with mods anyway. Still, if I ever go back to Skyrim, I'll probably pick up this version (though after 250 hours, I doubt I'll be going back anytime soon).

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I'll get it for the PS4. I've got it for the 360 and enjoyed it but didn't put that much time into it.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

They just announced its a free upgrade to owners of the PC Skyrim Legendary edition. Definitely happy about that.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Cool.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skyrim Remaster Will Work With Basically All Old Mods

Bethesda confirms today that old mods won't be rendered unusable by the update to Skyrim.

Bethesda announced a remaster of Skyrim at E3 2016 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One, and revealed how it's been updated and improved upon from the original. But many people have wondered what this remaster will mean for the PC version of the game, which can already undergo significant improvements with mods. Specifically, there has been concern that this version will break mod compatibility. Bethesda's VP of marketing, Pete Hines, recently put to rest any worry that old PC mods will be left behind.

On Twitter, Hines explained that the remaster on PC will still work with older mods for the original game. When asked, he replied, "Basically, yes," suggesting that while certain mods might not be compatible, in general it won't be a problem.

In addition, Hines also clarified what this remaster will entail exactly on PC--since, after all, it can already be overhauled with mods. He relayed from game director Todd Howard that the PC version will be 64-bit, saves will transfer from the original game, and it'll have a separate mod creation kit. As a result of it being 64-bit, mods that use Skyrim's 32-bit Script Extender will have to be tweaked to run on a new 64-bit version of the extender.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition launches on October 28 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. It'll support mods on console, too, although these will have similar copyright and nudity restrictions as Fallout 4 mods on console.

Source: Gamespot

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Elder Scrolls thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Todd Howard has said that TES VI and Starfield won't be appearing at E3.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Apparently The Elder Scrolls: Blades isn't very good.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OpenMW is a modern, free, and open-source game engine created by the OpenMW team. It runs natively on Windows, Linux, and macOS. In a first step, we want OpenMW to be a fully functional replacement of the original engine used for Bethesda's popular RPG "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". After that, we are free to de-hardcode any of the game mechanics in order to enhance the modding capabilities far beyond what was possible in the original engine. OpenMW also has its own construction set, OpenMW-CS, which will eventually allow developers to create their own games in the OpenMW engine.

--- Please note that one must own the original game files to play Morrowind in OpenMW! ---

http://openmw.org

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Elder Scrolls 6 All But Confirmed to Be an Xbox Exclusive

Phil Spencer doesn't see TES6 leaving his platforms.

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer has all but confirmed that The Elder Scrolls VI will be an Xbox console exclusive.

In an interview with British GQ, Spencer said that he sees the sequel to Skyrim as a similar case to fellow Bethesda title Starfield, which was confirmed for Xbox Series X/S and PC earlier this year.

At least in part, his reasoning seems to come down to what the Xbox ecosystem can offer its exclusives, including Cloud Gaming, Xbox Live services, and more:

“It’s not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow,” Spencer told GQ. “But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.”

Ever since Xbox bought Bethesda parent company ZeniMax Media, The Elder Scrolls 6's position as a possible exclusive has been a topic of debate. As arguably Bethesda's biggest franchise, there's been much made of whether Xbox would help or hinder itself by allowing the next Elder Scrolls game to be released on competing platforms.

Microsoft has previously said that Bethesda games would be released "first or better or best" on Xbox, but Bethesda's Todd Howard said that it was "hard to imagine" The Elder Scrolls 6 as an Xbox exclusive. Now, it seems as though the pendulum has swung the other way, with Spencer sounding far more bullish about the eagerly anticipated RPG staying on Microsoft-controlled platforms.

Elsewhere in the piece, Todd Howard reiterated that The Elder Scrolls 6 is still being designed, but added that the ultimate goal for the game remained similar to previous installments in the series:

"You go back and you read a review of the first Elder Scrolls. And then you read The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion's, then you read The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim's. You black out a couple things. And they read the same. 'You've stepped out and oh my gosh, it feels so real.' People change. Technology changes. But the ultimate goal is still to make it so that, when you boot the game up, you feel like you've been transported.”

It will still be at least several years before we play the game, especially as Howard told us that making Starfield was now-or-never, but we can expect the game to follow some familiar lines, with Bethesda Game Studios remaining committed to making single-player experiences.

Source: IGN

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skyrim is back once again with a new 'Anniversary Edition' that not only adds new content but also gives a bit of bespoke attention to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles - replacing the need to use user mods or FPS Boost to get the game running at 60fps. Given we were already looking at 4K on PS5 and Series X, what's changed? And is Series S still running at 1080p? Actually, no!

Please Note: Despite resolution differences, performance differences and faster loading, Xbox Series isn't actually a native application - it's still built on the older XDK and is 'Gen 9 Aware'.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

That video was strangely intriguing.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's weird, but entertaining.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided

Xbox's Phil Spencer said platforms still up in the air.

Xbox's Phil Spencer has confirmed The Elder Scrolls 6 is still "five plus years away". The Xbox boss is also still being careful about mentioning which platforms the Skyrim sequel is planned for, saying: "It's difficult for us right now to nail down."

Spencer testified about the status of The Elder Scrolls 6 during today's Microsoft FTC trial, tiptoeing around the planned platforms for the game given how far away it is. While his hesitation could be referencing uncertainty surrounding whether the game will be a console exclusive, it's not out of the realm of possibility to consider that The Elder Scrolls 6 may skip the current generation of consoles entirely.

There was some confusion surrounding The Elder Scrolls 6's potential exclusivity during the trial, as Spencer said previously in his deposition, "I have made public statements that Elder Scrolls 6 will skip PlayStation", but he now says he does not recall doing this.

Looking back to November 2021, Spencer certainly hinted that Elder Scrolls 6 would be an Xbox exclusive without explicitly saying it. At the time, Spencer said, "It's not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow. But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls 6. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises."

Now, in court, Spencer spoke about The Elder Scrolls 6's release window and planned platforms: "It's many years away, but it's a game we have announced we would begin working on.

"I think we've been a little unclear on what platforms it will launch on given how far out the game is. It's difficult for us right now to nail down exactly what platforms that game will launch on.

"As I said with Elder Scrolls 6, it's so far out it's hard to understand what the platforms will even be at this point. It's the same team that's finishing Starfield, which comes out this September.

"So we're talking about it being likely five-plus years away."

The Elder Scrolls 6's distant, unknown release date isn't much of a surprise. Bethesda Game Studios is currently gearing up to launch Starfield this September on Xbox Series X and S and PC, and we know The Elder Scrolls 6 is the developer's next big project. In 2020, Bethesda's Pete Hines said fans shouldn't expect details on The Elder Scrolls 6 until "years from now". As of 2021, the game was still in the design phase.

Based on Spencer's comments, fans shouldn't expect The Elder Scrolls 6 to launch until 2028 at the earliest. It's worth noting 2028 is the year Microsoft expects the next generation of consoles to launch.

Source: IGN