The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 5 announced)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
melancholy
Global Mod

Re: The Raspberry Pi/Mini PC Thread

Post by melancholy »

As cool as that is, the fact that it doesn’t have WiFi or Bluetooth means you need a couple of extra adapters to get it working with the same functionality as a Raspberry Pi. And only 1 USB port, you would have to keep switching. It’s a fast little board, but for the price it just wouldn’t be worth it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yeah it's too expensive to get just for emulation, unless you really want good N64 emulation.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

anyone with a pi 3b have a way to fix it not switching on? mines refusing to power up now (better to ask in here, forgot about this thread earlier) & when I say it aint switching on I mean there are no status loghts at all, thinking it may be buggered

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

hmm looking around it may be that its not getting enought juice, also had a message on screen as I was trying o set it up using my phone chager (since the lead it came with wont even turn it on anymore) think I'll head into town tomorrow & ask if they have the right one as they obviously gave me the wrong power thing

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, it will require a voltage higher than a phone charger. If you happen to have one of those bigger tablet chargers laying around, try that.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

tried my tablet lead & it turned on but still complained about not enough power, just hoping I dont need to spend anout 8 quid or so to get one from somewhere online, of course that all asssumes I can get CEX to give me a power adabtor that works (though this is the store with yo-yo prices on stuff when other shops in town run low on items so who knows) just gotta make a note of whats needed before I go back. Then comes the fun of figuring out how to set it up right, suspect the power issues may be hanpering it atm though the tiny text doesnt help with my eyesight & reading these days

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

dear god, just read what that plug said 5v (close to the 5.1 at least) & max amp output 0.15 I'm amazed it even powered the Pi once, guess the cex staff just grabbed any old usb cable & thought 'duh thatll be good enough' hope I can get a correct one from them

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

well they had no power supply that fit so its buy online or return it & save for one preloaded with emulatiopn station & a ton of games (admittidly a far easier option than doing it all myself but also more expensive)

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:

Figures since I just got my original NESPi case. :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

How many people here have Raspberry Pi? For those that do, what do you use it for? Mostly emulation? Custom case or just a loose board?

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I have 3. One as a RetroPie, one as a VPN server for PIA, and one as a Plex server. Have been thinking of grabbing a forth to use as a security camera.

As for the cases, they all have a case and are a mix of Amazon cheap cases and custom 3D printed cases.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We've got a heap of them here. Some RPi1s were given to us by people that didn't use them.

I'm using a RPi3 with a case bought online with RetroPie. A Pi Zero which I got to use with a Pi Grrl Zero handheld which I never finished. 3D printed the case but haven't gotten around to buying all the bits and pieces for it.

My brother has a bunch out in the garage, one I think is being used with the 3D printer.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:My brother has a bunch out in the garage, one I think is being used with the 3D printer.
I’ve been thinking of doing that myself with my Creality printer. Getting a little camera to monitor the print and everything. I just haven’t messed with it yet, or even know if I would use it enough to bother setting all that up.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So tonight I was out shopping and found a Pi-like device made by Asus called the Tinker Board. It’s the exact same board layout as the Pi (which means I can use the same case) and RetroPie is compatible with it. But it’s nearly twice as fast, which means N64 has a good shot at running many games full speed. At $60, it seemed like a pretty good deal, so I bought it. I’m going to attempt updating my current RetroPie build and then putting the SD card into the Tinker Board to see if it just works. If not, I’ll have to begin the long process of rebuilding my RetroPie collection.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Interesting. Looks like it runs N64 pretty well judging by YT videos.

You can get Tinker Board images from here:

https://www.arcadepunks.com/front-end-downloads/

And there's a FB group with images here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/951868578303407/

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I saw the Arcade Punks link, but it’s a front end the guy made for the Android build. I’d rather stick to RetroPie because it’s just so much simpler to configure and play.

As I guessed, it wasn’t as simple as plugging my SD from the Pi and hoping it boots. I will have to rebuild for the Tinker Board. But at least I found an easy way to move my ROMsets over by booting into Raspbian and copying it all to a flash drive of the same size.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Alrighty.

Just saw this on the FB page, it's the Tinker Board RetroPie SD Card/emmc install DIY with download links. You probably won't need it but I've stuck it on Pastebin if you do.

https://pastebin.com/bcr9CxX4

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

It is crazy that these don't have the power to run N64 games at full speed. I figured they could handle it no problem.