Wrestling Mod

Will Smith talks meeting MJ for the first time

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Will Smith talks meeting MJ for the first time

Post by Bandit »

:olol: He's a great storyteller.

It looks like he's talking about 2003 because he was only there twice when Will was famous in 1993 as well. He had performances shown when he was in other countries on tour a few times as well. And Suge was trying to cause problems with G Unit that year because of their association with Dr. Dre.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

:lol: at Will asking if Suges still in jail. 2003 seems right but the MJ pic looks more 1993 era Mike though. Plus MJ only made one BET Awards appearance in 2003 for one of his major music influences James Brown so it doesn't really add up. The BET Awards started up in 2001, unless Will meant like the Soul Train Awards or something.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It was the BET Anniversary shows I was misremembering as award shows, maybe Will was too.

I guess it's possible it was 1993. Suge was new to the business but The Chronic came out in December 1992 so he would have been invited. But I don't remember any incidents in public back then. He was just beating people up at the Death Row office back then.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea have a feeling it's 1993, judging by the photo at the end. Although some of what Mike said about Suge unless he knew someone at Death Row he wouldn't be aware of what he was up to. So some elements of the story don't make sense. By 2003 wasn't Death Row finished as a label and Tha Row it's new name saddled with a ton of lawsuits?. So Suge wouldn't be able to enjoy his success then because he lost not only material things but Snoop had gone to No Limit, Pac was sadly murdered in Vegas in 96, Dre had left to form Aftermath, I think only probably Danny Boy stuck around but even then only cause he was tight with Suge. So I'm thinking Suge was scaring industry folks back in 93 and MJ be like he should be enjoying the success.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Suge wasn't doing anything but was still going to award shows and causing issues for Dr. Dre and Aftermath (especially after Dre signed up The Game because Suge was trying for a few years to get him thinking he was the ticket to get back on top. But Game is a smart guy and realized what the situation really was.)

They had people signed like Kurrupt as a solo artist, Petey Pablo, Crooked I, Spider Loc and some people nobody ever heard of because they never released anything. But they couldn't get money to release anything since every dollar was going to lawsuits. But Suge also wouldn't let people out of their deals until he filed for bankruptcy and sold it. So it was awful for them never being able to make music besides mixtapes, not getting paid, and having to deal with Suge craziness.

Besides putting out unreleased Tupac, Snoop and Dogg Pound compilations the last real Death Row release while Suge owned it was actually the Michel'le album in 1998. So they went nearly 10 years without a real release.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Are we sure Will didn't mean

He had a rep for throwing Jazz out of the house. So he was Suge Knight when Suge was still Marion Knight.

As for Death Row records yea that all makes sense. Been years since I read Have gun will travel about Death Row. They should reissue it to present day to cover the Death Row Chronicles show. I don't think Jodeci we're officially signed to DR and Kci on Behind the Label about Uptown Records which was Andre Harrells label which Puffy interned at said "We don't discuss Suge Knight". Kci and Jojo sing on How do u want it and would have still been Uptown artists then so not sure if they were given permission to be on the song.

DR basically seized to be and became Tha Row, their third rebrand. They mostly put out posthumous Tupac albums, a Dr Dre record, Snoops greatest hits etc. like you said. Death Row records is sorta back as WideAwake bought it in 2009 and have reissued albums and unreleased songs. But they went bankrupt so E1 owns it now. They bought the music library for just over $4m which considering it includes The Chronic, Doggystyle, All Eyez on Me etc is a bargain price. Licensing alone would make that a very profitable acquistion.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Jodeci tried to sign but wouldn't be let out of their deal. They actually tried to go to Bad Boy first, as Diddy tried to cut a deal to take them and Mary J in exchange for giving them Craig Mack and doing remixes for Uptown (which really just meant Biggie will rap on songs for you since he wasn't doing big remixes yet.) But after it failed they thought Suge could do it because of how he got Dre off of Ruthless. But they had to settle for just Suge becoming their manager. But that meant Uptown stopped promotion of anything they did since they hated Suge. But it was kind of worth it since their Tupac songs set up the public really wanting the K-Ci & JoJo album.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks. Yea Jodeci and Mary to Bad Boy would have made much more sense too. I guess 112 and Faith Evans was Puffy's response to not signing them. I guess Suge wanted Jodeci to DR to have Devante as a producer too. The Show, The Afterplay, The Hotel was a success but that would have sold on their name alone. That was their last release for a long long time. Then Devante put out a solo album I think, Mr Delvin did too (if I'm correct) and Kci & Jojo put out quite a few. Some are exclusive to Japan though.

http://www.thefader.com/2015/04/15/jode ... -mr-dalvin

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yes, his plan was for Devante, Johnny J, DJ Quik and Daz to become in house producers while Dre worked on his 2nd album. But he only did three released songs plus an H Town song that ended up being released by Death Row

The Show, The Afterplay, The Hotel was a success but that would have sold on their name alone.
Yeah, they were massive. All the girls at my school were crazy about them. They still went platinum in a month without much airplay. Kellz had taken their spot as the most played R&B act by then. (Well, male anyway since Toni Braxton probably had the most play overall, especially with You're Making Me High.)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea, makes sense to have talented in house producers. Motown of course had them as did Stax etc. H-Town were very Jodeci like also. I think they were on Luke's label (co owned by Luther Campbell) for their first album. Also good singers, their cover of "A Thin Line Between Love & Hate" with Roger is one of their best tracks but they were best known for Knockin Da Boots.

Boyz II Men and Blackstreet were more popular here but I liked Jodeci etc too. They were more hip hop soul as were Blackstreet. 90s R&B had some really great artists now I can only think of The Weeknd and the other acts putting out albums still. Toni Braxton sold quite a lot of records here with her Secrets album. I like her first one better with the LA & Babyface production. Kellz was popular with I Believe I Can Fly etc. It's kinda weird in hindsight how popular they were as unfortunately they don't really make the charts now and are more nostalgia acts. Still think BIIM, Kci & Jojo etc are popular in Japan which is why they put out exclusive releases to that territory.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Boyz II Men were bigger than anybody in the mid-90s. But they were safe and vanilla. Jodeci had street cred since they'd get arrested for fights and were open that they were banging groupies every night and Boyz II Men were too family friendly to talk about that. Jodeci were equal to Blackstreet, although they had more longevity since Blackstreet were only as big as them for 1 album and Jodeci had 3 plus MTV Unplugged and the K-Ci & JoJo 1997 album. And Tupac used them to diss Blackstreet on Toss It Up.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

BIIM were from Philly and pals with Mike Bivins of N.E. so why they appeared safe I bet they could throw down. :lol: R&B band Survivor Series Jodeci v Boyz II Men. In the Uptown Behind the Label on BET Kci said he and Jojo met Dalvin and DeVante when they pulled guns on each other. They were brothers too if I'm correct then they became friends and started a group. Yea Jodeci were marketed as street cause they were. Blackstreet had David Hollister in their first incarnation who sung on Pacs "Do 4 Love" and had a few solo album releases he does gospel music now. Speaking of Jodeci, Dru Hill were popular here with their song from Rush Hour. They were Jodeci like too. Sisqo had that Kci type vocals who sounded like Aaron Hall from Guy who sounds like Charlie Wilson. The Toss It Up Dre version uses "Grandmas Hands" by Bill Withers which of course is what Blackstreet sampled for "No Diggity".

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Well, Dru Hill was huge in my area because they're from there. They were alright, nothing spectacular. But it was cool to see guys from Baltimore make it big for a while. As for national popularity they were in the middle. A notch below Next but above Jagged Edge. Thong Song was bigger than anything they did.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

They had two top ten hits in the U.K.
http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/2373/dru-hill/

Jodeci made the top 40 5 times
http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28467/jodeci/

Boyz II Men really successful, plus a UK #1
http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28042/boyz-ii-men/

90s R&B had some top quality groups JE, Next (RLs solo album is also good), 112, New Edition coming back, Levert Sweat & Gill, All 4 One to name but a few. A4O were successful here too IIRC.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

All 4 One I never liked. But when my grandmother went to get her first CD player stereo back then, that was the first CD she bought for some reason and the second was Bryan Adams. :olol: But all of the others you mention were great.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I liked A40. They were more on the pop side of R&B but not like 98 degrees, Backstreet Boys, N Sync type. 90s R&B was like the Attitude Era of soul music here cause you had like Dru Hill, Montell Jordan, Donnell Jones, D'Angelo, Babyface, Joe et al making the charts. Don't think outside of maybe The Weeknd anyone makes the UK charts now. R&B gone back to being more niche here.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Not much is going on in general. Cardi B and the Black Panther soundtrack are the big things in the US right now. It's boring. It kind of feels like the late 80s where stuff from the decade was just played out, so people were waiting for the new things (which ended up being new jack swing, grunge and gangsta rap.)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK cool. It seems music has gone backwards when you think about it. 1970s and 80s music with synthesisers and drum machines was more futuristic than today's music. But you can only reinvent so many times. Unless someone super creative can create a new note or chord progression/structure it's stuck within the existing framework of music theory. We had sampling in the 80s to create something new so that's been accomplished, electronic music, computer AI has wrote songs so we've had every possible music genre really and sub genres too.