Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

D-VHS, HD movies on VHS

Post by Big Boss Man »

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: D-VHS, HD movies on VHS

Post by melancholy »

I have never heard of that before. That’s crazy, especially when he said one tape could hold 50GB.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yep it is. They are MPEG-2 but the quality has been said to be the same as Blu Ray and HD-DVD minus the extras. The guy says they were using S-VHS tapes really but I don't know if anyone's tried to dub a D-VHS on a S-VHS to see if that would produce the same quality.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I actually heard about this when it was current. I was ordering alot of movies online in the early 2000s and the site I was ordering from did carry D-VHS. I remember them being very expensive though. I was only ordering DVD though, never actually seen a D-VHS tape or player in person.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea they retailed for quite a high price point. The players look familiar but they didn't make UK shores. I don't know if they record to normal VHS in higher quality. I also wonder how D-VHS would look like on a normal player or if they aren't compatiable.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
I remember seeing HD for the first time around 2000 and was blown away, and at that time it wasn't even 16:9. If I had saw this video on a widescreen HD monitor in 1993 I would have shit! Or I would have been too young to really realize how awesome it looked. :olol:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

HD tech was developed in the 80s but I'm assuming it wasn't really ready for consumers back then. But 80s shows recorded in HD, especially movies, sports, music videos and concerts would have been great.