Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The new Australian $5 note

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: The new Australian $5 note

Post by melancholy »

Dude, we still use the same green $5 bills from the 90s. We don't get cool hologram transparent money. Hell, it looks like it takes more than $5 just to print that bill.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I don't understand why they have put the hologram and all this other shit on a $5 note...
The most faked note around town is $50. followed by $100.
WHO THE FUCK COUNTERFEITS 5$ NOTES?

I own a computer, and clear printer paper, and due to the fact hardly anyone ever see's $100 notes, I could make a passable fake in about 2 hours if I chose to.

So why all this bullshit for a fiver?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy wrote:Hell, it looks like it takes more than $5 just to print that bill.
I don't know about this note but with the 1 & 2 cent coins it cost more to make them than they were worth, which was one of the reasons why they were dumped. The 5c coin costs more as well, but it's still around, for now.
ian wrote:So why all this bullshit for a fiver?
All the notes will get changed, this is just the first one. The $10 note will be next year, $20 the year after etc., etc.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:olol: So with the 5 being first.. all of the counterfeiters know they only have so long to bang out as much as they can.

At the 7 11, hungry jacks, KFC, and bunnings around me, all staff are checking 50's by scrunching them when you pay for something.
Stupid idea making 5's first.. I'd have started with $50's, then done 100's, 20's, 10's and LASTLY 5's
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote::olol: So with the 5 being first.. all of the counterfeiters know they only have so long to bang out as much as they can.

At the 7 11, hungry jacks, KFC, and bunnings around me, all staff are checking 50's by scrunching them when you pay for something.
Stupid idea making 5's first.. I'd have started with $50's, then done 100's, 20's, 10's and LASTLY 5's
When I worked retail it was typically the $50 and $100 notes we were always on the lookout for. No one would think twice about a dodgy fiver, many times whenever a note possibly counterfeit we'd really only be looking for $50s and $100s. Imagine how many lower currency notes would slip through because no one would think to look for them? Most of the larger notes are checked, not so much the lesser ones. Who knows how many dodgy ones are floating around.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

But you must have seen like a billion 5's 10's and 20's.. so a fake would be easier to notice. right?
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:But you must have seen like a billion 5's 10's and 20's.. so a fake would be easier to notice. right?
Honestly, I never did the cash handling but I was always called down when a note was in dispute. So only what I handle in my day to day life. And it's possible, but the transactions involving $5s and $10s are generally so quick the customer is gone almost as quick as they handed the cash.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So are transactions involving 50's and 100's..
Last time I went PC part shopping.. I could have got away with $500 worth of stuff with fake notes.. From handing over cash to me in the car and gone was only about a minute..
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

America put all kinds of bullshit into all bills but the One Dollar. But they did 50 and 100 first and 20 second since those were the top counterfeiting bills. Nobody probably did 5's until the new bills of the other 4.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Interestingly the UK are getting a new 5 pound note too

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/theres-ne ... ts-8803740

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

These don't work in vending machines :grumpy:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The vending machine problem is mainly due to the bumps put on the notes for the visually impaired.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I have a 1985 and a 1988 in my wallet that I refuse to spend.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I have one of the new £5 notes, they look like this:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I got my first crazy new $5 note today from the post office..
It makes all my other money seem fake!!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote:I got my first crazy new $5 note today from the post office..
It makes all my other money seem fake!!
I saw one last week. They are pretty cool.

'McDonald's test' the key to uncovering fake $50 notes

From pineapple on a burger, to fake "pineapples" over the counter. McDonald's workers are now the key test for detecting counterfeit $50 notes, according to evidence given in a recent court case.

Two Melbourne plasterers have been jailed for four years after they pleaded guilty to manufacturing nearly $90,000 in counterfeit money uncovered in a raid on the Burvale Hotel in Nunawading.

Brad Flynn, 38, and John Maugeri, 46, admitted in the County Court to printing the fake $50 banknotes, which the prosecution said rated an eight out of 10 on the so-called "McDonald's test" standard of deception.

The test was explained as whether the fake cash was good enough to be spent at a McDonald's-type business, rather than passed at a bank where experts would be handling the notes.

Judge Michael McInerney wrote in his reasons for sentencing that he was "somewhat surprised that there was no better evidence" before the court than the McDonald's test.

But after examining the currency himself he agreed the quality was high enough to be spent at a business such as the fast food giant.

"I did not see any reason why they would not pass, based upon my own observation, in the community," he wrote.

The prosecution had put to the court that the counterfeiting set-up was "sophisticated", however Judge McInerney said he doubted this was the case given where the operation took place and the materials involved.

But despite those misgivings, Judge McInerney said the notes the pair had printed, and could potentially print, were a "good product". In total, 1796 fake notes were uncovered.

Judge McInerney also ruled out evidence given by Maugeri's defence counsel that he had limited involvement in the matter and was only at the hotel to discuss rent.

He said evidence of Maugeri's DNA found on the rubber gloves used to manufacture the notes was a clear example of his involvement.

Along with the counterfeiting offence, Flynn was also convicted of stealing two cars, as well as petrol from a service station. He also pleaded guilty to possession of a pen pistol.

For those offences, McInerney added an extra seven months jail to be served after the counterfeiting sentence. Both will be eligible for parole after two-and-a-half years.

A third offender, Vicky Doherty, 43, was convicted of possessing five counterfeit $100 notes and given a three-year community correction order.

More than 22,000 fake $50 notes worth over $1.1 million were uncovered in 2015/16, according to the Reserve Bank of Australia.

The once state-of-the-art security measures used in the design of the polymer banknote are now more than 20 years old, which has made it vulnerable to advances in digital imaging and printing technology.

Source: The Age

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Why would he even need to steal the petrol? He has all those $50 notes!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:Why would he even need to steal the petrol? He has all those $50 notes!
because criminals are fucked.. why would someone steal a car, leave all the expensive shit in it and take a jerry can?
Seems dumb, but that's what happened to me. Lol

also, why would you stay in possession of lots of fake notes?? Make a fake $50, take it into maccas, get 50 cent cone, get legit change, deposit real money in bank, do the same with next fake.

If you went into 7 maccas once a week nothing would seem suss. And you could repeat with other restaurants and servos.
And if someone called you out and the cops showed up, you could just say you got the fake as change from another restaurant, help them with their investgation, and then keep doing it at places that don't check.

think about it!
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

It was a joke :P