Nintendo Switch Thread (March 3 2017 worldwide, US$299)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread (March 3 2017 worldwide, US$299)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sunrise: The Switch is Nintendo's first release in five years

Think that is Hex's first appearance on 7 since leaving Good Game.

Big Boss Man wrote:If there's a huge demand for the Mini NES why didn't Nintendo make more of those or bring out a Mini SNES. Reducing the amount of units available means the Switch isn't going to sell as it should. Would have made sense if Nintendo looked at the pre sales data and manufactured consoles to equate to demand.
The SNES Mini should be out later this year or next year. They must be having problems getting the chips or something for the NES Mini, they wouldn't be keeping supply limited for hype reasons this long after it's release.

Nintendo did increase production of the Switch when the pre-order info started coming through but there's probably a limit to how many they can crank out. They'll be a bit cautious about over-producing them because sales could drop of pretty quickly, like what happened with the Wii U.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yep that makes sense, as over producing units is even worse than not having enough. Finding the right balance must be tough. Can't really remember back in the day the availability of consoles. I think the Mega Drive/Genesis was more popular here. Also it's either a issue with sourcing materials or they making the mini MES limited edition. What would have been cool is if they could play the NES carts themselves. Although it's been more successful than the other old video game remake systems or ones for specific games like the Sensi one.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:They'll be a bit cautious about over-producing them because sales could drop of pretty quickly, like what happened with the Wii U.
The Wii U had a good launch, it was the next 12-18 months that really hurt it. Wasn't until sept 2013 that Wind Waker HD came out, then April 2014 for Mario Kart 8, before that there was nothing really.

The Switch must feel different in comparison, it"s already got a very good 1st party line up for the first 12 months. Oh, and Nintendo are actually advertising it as well, which is going to help a bit.
I can't get no...

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: The SNES Mini should be out later this year or next year. They must be having problems getting the chips or something for the NES Mini, they wouldn't be keeping supply limited for hype reasons this long after it's release.

Nintendo did increase production of the Switch when the pre-order info started coming through but there's probably a limit to how many they can crank out. They'll be a bit cautious about over-producing them because sales could drop of pretty quickly, like what happened with the Wii U.
I can't imagine Shenzhen running out of ARM chips, I think Nintendo is artificially creating excess demand. They've been around long enough to know the game, release a highly rated and wanted console in small numbers so it sells out, creates panic buying/media coverage/discussion, sell even more.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

pixel wrote:
Calavera wrote:I miss the old days when a new console would make me say "woah, nice graphics! I'd like to get my hands on that game" There is less and less reason to own a console over a PC. My main example is Just Cause 2 which came out all the way back in March 2010 making the game nearly 7 years old. I still have it installed on PC, I rarely play it anymore but to me it looks just as good as any game coming out on console or PC since then. Correct me if I'm wrong, if there is a game that makes Just Cause 2 look like garbage then let me know about it.
Well, have you seen a 4K TV playing Battlefield 1?
I watched that video in 1080p and I've got to say it looks pretty damn good. Let me give another example. I've recently been playing Watch Dogs 2 and the graphics are fine for the most part. There is one thing that bothers me though, this game was made by Ubisoft who made Driver San Francisco back in 2011. Are the graphics better than Driver San Francisco, well yes the world looks great. But then there is the cars, while the car graphics are fine. I would have to say that they are much better in Driver San Francisco. One thing I looked about Driver SF was that all the cars were licensed and the in-dash view of every car looked just like the dash would in the real life version. In Watch Dogs 2 the dash view is garbage. I would honestly say that the dash views from the original 1994 Need For Speed looks better. I'm not knocking Watch Dogs 2, it's an enjoyable game. But man it would have been so much better with the cars and dashes from Driver SF.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I'm surprised that Ashen's hasn't tried the Switch Cart taste test
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's been done to death already.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

But it's Ashen's thing, can't be as bad as the 1000 yeah egg, surely?
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

SE's official Mana series Twitter account recently posted a 10-second clip of Seiken Densetsu 3 running on Switch:

Unclear whether this would be a Virtual Console release or some other port - the borders featuring art from the game would certainly be a new feature if the former.

There is no indication of plans for a localization currently.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So am I right in saying that the only Member on the board to actually have a switch is Mel? and he hasn't even used it yet??
Is that right? (honestly, I don't know.. Zoidberg might have one since he spends 3 trillion dollars on games a week. ;) )

So were all the excuses that the fanboys used for the WIIU's shit sales full of shit??
Can't say this wasn't marketed correctly.. And no one here thinks it's even worth buying... and the one person who bought it hasn't used it??

Mat. how is your switch?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:So am I right in saying that the only Member on the board to actually have a switch is Mel? and he hasn't even used it yet??
Is that right? (honestly, I don't know.. Zoidberg might have one since he spends 3 trillion dollars on games a week. ;) )

So were all the excuses that the fanboys used for the WIIU's shit sales full of shit??
Can't say this wasn't marketed correctly.. And no one here thinks it's even worth buying... and the one person who bought it hasn't used it??

Mat. how is your switch?
I'll get one when it has games I want. But I don't buy any console that doesn't have games I want.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I have a Switch, yes. Though I have played it since I last posted, the only game I have played is I Am Setsuna, which is also a PS4 game. The Switch is a fantastic console with no compelling games for anyone that doesn't want Zelda (like myself).

My reason for buying the Switch wasn't to break it out and play it on day one. Hell, my PS4 sat unused longer than my Switch did. I bought it because there are some big releases that will be out in the next 12 months that will justify my purchase.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I'm pretty much in line with Skynet on this, mainly due to BotW, MK8 and FAST Racing neo already being available on Wii U.

I'll probably end up getting one when Splatoon 2 comes out later on in the year.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote:Zoidberg might have one since he spends 3 trillion dollars on games a week. ;)
Nope, don't have one. Zelda is the only game I'm interested in and it's not enough to buy a system for. Maybe in a couple of years.

It is selling well though, even if only one BG member has one.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

NeoGaf is probably in meltdown right now if the switch is selling even remotely well, ian would like it on there actually.
I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The pirating/homebrew scene is just getting hot on the Wii U, so I won't need to buy a Switch until the first price drop. The only system I ever bought at launch was the GBA because I got sweet cash for my neon green GBC. I'm a /r/patientgamer through and through.

The Switch will do just fine but it isn't going to set the world on fire. The advertising is heavy here in the states and it'll eventually sell more than the Wii U. It will be a success if they start churning out the games, they've got the right hardware to be successful.

Plus, the Switch is probably the first step towards Nintendo just releasing attachable Joycons for your tablet/phone.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction wrote:NeoGaf is probably in meltdown right now if the switch is selling even remotely well, ian would like it on there actually.
Lots of people there seem to like the system, they seem pretty pro-Switch, at least in the threads I've looked at.