Prince dies aged 57

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Prince dies aged 57

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Prince, American music superstar and pioneer, dies aged 57

Purple Rain singer dies at his Paisley Park recording studio in Minnesota after he was briefly hospitalized last week for a flu emergency

Prince Rogers Nelson, one of the most successful musical artists of all time, has died aged 57, according to the Associated Press.

Known by his mononym Prince, the Purple Rain singer died at his Paisley Park studio in Minnesota, the state where he was born and raised, according to the AP.

The singer was briefly hospitalized in Illinois last week for a flu emergency, according to TMZ. He cancelled two shows in Atlanta because of the illness.

Police said on Thursday morning that they were investigating a death at Prince’s estate, but would not confirm the deceased’s identity until the next of kin had been notified.

Prince wrote hundreds of songs for himself and other artists and released 39 studio albums including four in the last 18 months.

Last month, publisher Spiegel & Grau announced that it acquired Prince’s memoir, set for release in fall of 2017. “We’re starting from the beginning from my first memory and hopefully we can go all the way up to the Super Bowl,” Prince said.

Source: The Guardian

RIP Prince. :(

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Prince, American music superstar and pioneer, dies aged 57

Post by melancholy »

So have they actually confirmed it? All I've heard so far is that someone died and it was likely him, but no official announcement.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

His publicist has confirmed it.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Wow. I never expected him to die young since he lived a clean life for the most part. I don't think he had cancer or anything either since he looked good for 57.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Twitter memes work fast.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He still looked young and fit. Here he is from a couple of months ago when he came to Australia:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Why are all the talented people dying this year? We've got a lot of Kardashians to take.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Not that this is important, but we can't even post any of his songs because he got them all taken off Youtube. Nice trolling, Prince!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Here he is doing a crazy solo.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Prince dies aged 57

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Amazing that James Brown lived the longest of the three and lived the hardest partying life.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit wrote:Amazing that James Brown lived the longest of the three and lived the hardest partying life.
It is amazing he lived longer than Prince. Getting to an older age than MJ, not so amazing with the problems he had.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The internet is speculating that he had AIDS. But he was performing up to his death and didn't look bad like Tommy Morrison did when he died from it.

They're pointing to this blind rumor from a few days ago on Mediatakeout.com
April 16, 2016: MediaTakeOut.com just received word that a VERY popular African-American celebrity - who has recently been in the news - now has what is being described as AIDS. Obviously since we are not able to 100% confirm the story - we're going to leave it as a Blind Item. We want to make it clear we are NOT talking about Magic Johnson.

This report REALLY hurt our heart.

According to a person EXTREMELY CLOSE to the situation, the celebrity, who is known for having a very EXTREME sexual past reportedly contracted the illness sometime in the 1990s. He kept the illness quiet but began taking his medication RELIGIOUSLY up until about two years ago. Here's what we're told by a VERY trusted entertainment insider:

[The celebrity] believed that he was cured, and he had some crazy [religious] people who told him that God cured him. So he stopped taking his medication and the sickness came back. Now doctors say he's dying, and there is nothing anyone can do about it."

We're told that the celebrity is expected to get sicker and sicker, and eventually pass. It can happen as soon as the summer.

Very sad news.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit wrote:The internet is speculating that he had AIDS.
When they mentioned flu like symptoms in the TMZ clip it made it sound like it could have been HIV/AIDS.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Eerily a few months ago I dreamt Prince had passed and first I did when I woke up was to check it wasn't true and I was at the time, "Phew, false alarm". Now that's it has come to pass, it's both very surprising and truly sad news. Like many of us here, I grew up listening to Prince's music and was and always will be a huge fan of his. Prince had an effortless cool about him and of course he dated a harem full of beauties - Vanity, Apollonia, Mayte, Sheila E, the list goes on. But even more so, he was a real, one of a kind true talent. He was a multi instrumentalist, multi-octave vocalist, great songwriter and an electrifying on stage performer. He was really an amalgamation of the greats - part George Clinton, part James Brown, part Miles, part Sly, a sprinkling of Marc Bolan, but 110% Prince. Not only did he write hit songs for himself, but he essentially created his own competition with Vanity 6 & The Time and the whole Minneapolis sound. Which was later the catalyst for Jam & Lewis to create their own MPLS influenced songwriting/production style for Janet, the SOS Band & others. Prince also wrote the classic Nothing Compares 2 U for another protege project, the Family which became huge for Sinead O'Connor. Manic Monday for the Bangles, Glamorous Life for Sheila E, How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore which became a hit for Alicia Keys, I Feel 4 U - a hit for Chaka, the list goes on. There isn't enough platitudes or acclaim to bestom upon Prince. He's the personification of the word genius, a huge influence to many of today's artists and rightfully his musical legacy will stand the test of the time. I remember at the end of the Purple Rain and in his linear notes to the LPs, reading the line "May U Live 2 C The Dawn". The dawn must be now I guess, because Prince is sadly and unbelievably no longer with us. However his music will live & last forever.

R.I.P. Prince Rogers Nelson :(