NBA/Basketball Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: NBA Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

Watching the Cavs vs Pacers game a few days ago and they said league attendances are up over previous years. I think the popularity of teams like the Cavs who has sold out games all season might skew the figures abit.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

NBA really is hotter than it has been since the Kobe, Shaq, Iverson, McGrady, Wallace era 15 years ago. TV ratings are up as well. The NBA Finals were so epic last year it got people excited about pro basketball again (NCAA was never a problem.)

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Celtics caught a huge break (no pun intended): Rondo will be out for the rest of the playoffs with a broken thumb. He was dominating the Celtics. Now it's up to Butler.

And THE WIZARDS~! are going for a sweep. John Wall was a 4th quarter beast. And the dude can't get a sneaker deal. Come on, Nike, he's a national treasure.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Despite their great performance in game 4 the Cleveland Cavaliers couldn't stop the Warriors who are the 2017 NBA champions closing the series 4-1. This is KDs first NBA championship, whom was also the MVP of the finals. Congrats to the GSW, winning their second championship in three years.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

If you couldn't win a ring with that loaded team everybody involved should have been fired. They were probably the most stacked team since the 80s Lakers. Most of the starters are probably guaranteed HOF spots.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea bringing in KD was the missing piece of the puzzle they needed. The announcers were talking about it being a dynasty where this team can continue to dominate. A few things I've noticed is that Klay is less relied on as an offensive force so the "splash brothers" tag isn't really fitting now. Steph seems to be getting arrogant, you can be great at what you do without having a super ego and I think coach Kerr needs to keep that in check otherwise if he's offered big money elsewhere he'd bounce and it's really the big 2 now with Curry and Durant. Klay also might bounce if he's offered a more offensive role elsewhere. So these variables are all important moving forward. Guys like Draymond, Iggy, Livingston, McGee played a big part too so you can't play down their contributions. Steve Kerr battling debilitating headaches has done a great job too coaching these guys as has Mike Brown. It's poetic justice for him getting one over on the Cavs.

Speaking of the Cavs, LeBron basically ran the show and at times it was like a James v GSW game. Kyries best game was game 4 and if they played at that same intensity it would have certainly made a big difference. Going forward I see Love going, Thompson maybe too, JR, D-Will, Jones possibly also. Cleveland need to match GSW on their speed and intensity. GSW also have a strong bench so the Cavs need it to be more than the LBJ featuring Kyrie show. As barring injuries, trade demands etc this Warriors teams are likely to dominate the next 4-5 years at least.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Looks like Lavar Ball got to him with the fat jokes. "I'll tell my son to invest his NBA money into Krispy Kreme with Charles around." I still hope he's hired on the NBA pregame show. Barkley and Ball arguing for an hour would be the funniest show on television.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

:lol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote:Yea bringing in KD was the missing piece of the puzzle they needed. The announcers were talking about it being a dynasty where this team can continue to dominate. A few things I've noticed is that Klay is less relied on as an offensive force so the "splash brothers" tag isn't really fitting now. Steph seems to be getting arrogant, you can be great at what you do without having a super ego and I think coach Kerr needs to keep that in check otherwise if he's offered big money elsewhere he'd bounce and it's really the big 2 now with Curry and Durant. Klay also might bounce if he's offered a more offensive role elsewhere. So these variables are all important moving forward. Guys like Draymond, Iggy, Livingston, McGee played a big part too so you can't play down their contributions. Steve Kerr battling debilitating headaches has done a great job too coaching these guys as has Mike Brown. It's poetic justice for him getting one over on the Cavs.

Speaking of the Cavs, LeBron basically ran the show and at times it was like a James v GSW game. Kyries best game was game 4 and if they played at that same intensity it would have certainly made a big difference. Going forward I see Love going, Thompson maybe too, JR, D-Will, Jones possibly also. Cleveland need to match GSW on their speed and intensity. GSW also have a strong bench so the Cavs need it to be more than the LBJ featuring Kyrie show. As barring injuries, trade demands etc this Warriors teams are likely to dominate the next 4-5 years at least.
I think Curry is going to have the same loyalty to the Warriors as Jordan did to the Bulls. He isn't like LeBron who likes to shop around. And he and Kerr kind of have a Jordan/Jackson relationship.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Stephs now a free agent and they are apparently pulling out all the stops so he re-signs. Curry's eligible for a 5 year $205m deal but as he's entering free agency any team with cap room and willing to pay a premium luxury tax to sign him means that the Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks are teams that could be potential destinations. If they managed to sort out the mess they are in the Knicks if they make some major moves and get cap space is another place I wouldn't rule out. But now with KD on board I don't really see Steph leaving the Warriors but I think MJ's loyalty to the Bulls is unique and of the time. I also think the Phil/MJ relationship is unique too. I could be wrong, but Steph Curry seems more loyal to his family than coach Kerr and would do whats best for them so say Mark Cuban offers him more money and assurances he'll bring in some quality players alongside him I wouldn't rule out Curry wearing a Mavs jersey. I think LBJ only shopped around during his free agency period (which I'd imagine Steph and his agent will do too, as do most top players to entertain offers) and has only played for the Cavaliers and Heat. IMO, LeBrons less egocentric than Steph who comes across as cocky but that might be part of the whole gameface he puts on. He's more akin to a Reggie Miller, a top player but doesn't have a big worldwide presence like Jordan did and arguably LeBron has. Most people who don't know the current NBA players would name LBJ (at least in the UK) and Steph Curry wouldn't really be brought up because although his skills as a ballplayer can't be questioned, he needs to work with image consultants and rebrand himself because cocky/egocentric people don't really equate to sport superstars. People respond more to the 'great but humble' sport stars and I think if he dropped the attitude it would make Curry more appealing to audiences and marketeers.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Boy oh boy wowee!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

One day someone is going to write an amazing book on James Dolan. It may be 900 pages with all of the ex-employees who want to vent about him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Steph got his max deal.

Iggy shopping around for a better deal but it would make sense to stay a Warrior IMO.

Hayward might be taking his talents to South Beach or Boston or staying with the Jazz.

Melo looking for a new team apparently and its likely the Knicks will buy him out of his deal. Wouldn't be surprised if he turns up in Dallas with the Mavs. I think if he went to the Spurs he'd be a good pick up and with Kawhi I think they'd have a solid attacking force.

In other NBA News the Thunder got Paul George that now makes them a bigger force if Russ continues to step up like he did last season. I think the Cavs will shop K Lo around and trade him and I won't be surprised if D-Wade becomes a Cavalier either.

As for Phil Jackson you can't knock him for the rings he has but he wasn't the right guy for the Knicks and said some out of character stuff about LeBron and Melo. With him out of the picture and Carmelo moving on reportedly I think the Knicks should rebuild with Porzingis as the foundation and get players to compliment him.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

People are saying Anthony could go to the Cavs, but since being the star clearly meant so much to him in NY, he'd have to do a lot of changing mentally to want to be on LeBron's team.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea Melo going to the Cavs or Rockets apparently. I think he'd be a better fit in Houston.

Chris Bosh has been released by the Heat and his jersey retired.

Haywards signed with the Celtics
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1983 ... d-analysis

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dolan is offering Tim Hardaway Jr. $70 million to join the Knicks. He has clearly lost touch with reality in 2017. He's good, but not 70 million good.

John Wall got $170 million to stay on the Wizards but he deserves it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea not worth $70m but some big money deals for non Superstar players is being thrown around.Might be a cap space move so they "absorb" the 70mil for another team in exchange for draft pick(s) or to get a free agent in the future.

John Wall is a franchise player for the Wiz and you need to keep your best player on board so they've rightfully paid him what he deserves.