The Soccer/Futbol/Football topic

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Soccer/Futbol/Football topic

Post by Bandit »

No question everyone involved with this in the SYP needs to go to jail, and should have nearly 30 years ago, as slandering those poor people was absolutely disgusting. But those in charge of the stadium who knew of the dangers need to go to jail as well. The "crowding people in a pen" set up absolutely shocked me when I heard that. That's sounds like the worst idea in the world unless you under sell tickets to make sure they have lots of room. And even then you could have people sneaking in to make it dangerous. I used to work venue security when I was going to college. You could take seats out in the floor area if you were holding a concert people were going to want to dance or mosh at. But they limited the amount of capacity and had inspectors heavily monitoring it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Definitely agree, this is from the Nick Hornsby book Fever Pitch
By the time football became a forum for gang warfare, and containment rather than safety become a priority, a major tragedy became an inevitability. How could anyone have hoped to get away with it? With sixty-thousand-plus crowds, all you can do is shut the gates, tell everyone to squash up, and then pray, very hard.
There was often fights in the crowds, surges forward during goal celebrations and I'd imagine injuries occurred back then. In the 80's though CCTV was a thing and I definitely agree that those in charge of the stadium are just as guilty as the police. They should have seen on CCTV people were getting crushed and do an announce over the tannoy to stop bringing in more fans. I think they put high fencing up too to prevent pitch invasions and the like so that was another dangerous thing that has now been eradicated. There is a talk of bringing back terracing but they'd be out of their minds to bring it back. Fans sitting may detract from the 'atmosphere' of the game but it must have saved lives. If the 1989 FA Cup semi final at Hillsborough was in an all seater stadium where everyone had an allocated seat it would have never happened. You make a good point about fans sneaking in too that often occurred and as you can imagine there was often overcrowding and the whole ethos then was cram in as many customers as you could. But there was a decline in football attendances because of the hooliganism element and some matches being televised. Thats good they had inspectors monitoring things its how it should have been back then. I don't even think they do that now, they have match day stewards but their role is more to show people to their seats and such. The entire report is up here to read: http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/report/ I have read some of it and was one of the many who signed the online petition so they could fully investigate this further and bring those responsible to justice.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Fans sitting may detract from the 'atmosphere' of the game but it must have saved lives.
We didn't get Premier League games shown in the US until 2000. But the atmosphere looks great to me. It always looks like UK crowds have more fun at their games than US fans. Your games look like a big party, ours are just people chanting "DEFENSE" occasionally and being pissed off about how expensive the tickets and parking fees were. I wish I could go to M&T Bank Stadium and sing songs to offend that cunt Tom Brady. Booing just isn't enough, we need songs about his horseface wife.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Depends really, some games are almost stonely silent. Some grounds have a designated singing area and if fans get too OTT they get brow beaten by steward(s) and thrown out. Former Man U player Roy Keane talked about the Prawn Sandwich brigade who just go to the matches and don't cheer much etc. As for US sports I think there's a ton more energy and hype that UK sports lack. The fans seem into it too and there's no real vehement rivalries between teams like in football.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Then the Flair one is next, followed by one about the 1987 NFL strike. 2017 is probably the best year of 30 for 30.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Bestie one aired a few weeks back on BBC2 have it still on the DVR to watch, didn't know it was part of the 30 for 30.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I think they may have partnered with BBC on this and the Hillsborough one. Which is odd because BBC has three channels here now, so you'd think they'd just put it there. Plus they didn't have to work with ESPN for their footage because they don't have any, as they didn't even cover EPL until 1998.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Neymar joined PSG for £198m from Barcelona which shattered the world football transfer record. He's going to earn a salary of £40.3m a year.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

USA has failed to qualify for the World Cup. They lost against Trinidad and Tobago.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Good.

Now these pretentious cunts won't pretend to be fans even though they look down on all US sports. I hate those kind of people.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

So they started introducing V.A.R into soccer and well it's so far wasted about 10 minutes of one game and there's no timeouts in soccer so yea, note to FIFA et al, use technology by all means BUT introduce timeouts or stop play first as it's not suited to the usual ebb and flow of soccer.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Replays can get ridiculous sometimes when one of them wants to watch a 2 second clip for 5 minutes. But I'd rather have it than not have it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

In some instances it's needed but the replay and decision making etc took 10+ minutes, stoppage time was 4 minutes so that's took the game time downing to a cumulative 94 minutes where it should have been 100mins at least. But yea for penalties etc it's a really good addition but decision making time etc must be much faster.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Jerry Jones needs to start doing this when the Cowboys get a penalty that calls back a touchdown.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

So after all the hype the Champions League final didn't really live up to expectations. Ramos deliberately took out Liverpools Mo Salah and he's out of up to 3 weeks with a shoulder injury. Great goal by Bale but had Mo still been on the pitch I think the game would have been a lot different. Karius made the scapegoat but the team just fell flat once Mo couldn't continue. All the hard work to get to the final they can be really proud of but the end result really sucked. Liverpool deserved better. They have Keita coming in and I'm assuming a top level goalkeeper so who knows they might avenge the loss next year. Zidane has won the Champions League three times in three years now for Real.

World Cup is on the horizon. I'm not too optimistic of Englands chances, but we should qualify from the group at least, likely behind Belgium in 2nd place. Gareth Southgate has picked a relatively inexperienced team so that could be costly but on the other hand the younger players might not just go through the emotions like England have in the past. Harry Kane might either be a revelation and win the Golden Boot at the World Cup or he'll be closed down and marked out of the game.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It was a 2 year suspended sentence. Had it been more than 2 years then he'd have to go to jail under Spanish law. Ironically Lionel Messi had the same legal issue, he got 22 months suspended appealed down to 15. But yea he's a great player. As for the GOAT? I think Pele, Maradona should be in the discussion too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »