Segagaga translation

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Segagaga translation

Post by Calavera »

There is a thread on DCemulation with the first post being from August 2006 about some people working on a Segagaga translation. It is now 11 years later and still nothing. Not a demo, no footage showing any kind of progress. Nothing! Every few years they seem to post an update that goes something like "Yes we are still working on the translation! Real life has just been getting in the way and it is hard for everyone's schedule to line up" Sure I understand that but 11 years?! Mother 3 came out in 2006 and had a fan translation by 2008.

I admit I have no idea what is involved with translating a game, but isn't 11 years with nothing to show a bit much?

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Segagaga translation

Post by melancholy »

Comparing it to the Mother 3 translation isn’t really fair since it had a much, much larger fan base and was being completed by one guy that works in the localization industry. He knew exactly how to get the job done, and even if he needed someone for help, there were hundreds of people willing to jump in.

Segagaga would be cool to see someday, but it’s not well known and the more years pass, the less people are interested in the project. I myself forgot all about it until just now.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

When will the DreamSNES translation be finished?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 pmSegagaga would be cool to see someday, but it’s not well known and the more years pass, the less people are interested in the project. I myself forgot all about it until just now.
Now that nearly 14 years have passed since the translation was announced I must admit I don't give a shit now either! If it came out tomorrow I probably wouldn't play it. I'd download it play like 5 minutes of it then it would sit on my hard drive never to be played again.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Calavera wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 pm
melancholy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 pmSegagaga would be cool to see someday, but it’s not well known and the more years pass, the less people are interested in the project. I myself forgot all about it until just now.
Now that nearly 14 years have passed since the translation was announced I must admit I don't give a shit now either! If it came out tomorrow I probably wouldn't play it. I'd download it play like 5 minutes of it then it would sit on my hard drive never to be played again.
But what about DreamSNES?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:17 am
Calavera wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 pm
But what about DreamSNES?
When DreamSNES 2.0 releases I will play the hell out of it! I can't wait to be able to play Earthbound and Super Mario RPG on my Dreamcast! I don't actually own a Dreamcast console anymore so I'll have to run it on NullDC but it will still be amazing!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Talking about DreamSNES makes me nostalgic. Now I want to see if my old Dreamcast drive is working just to see if I can make a CDI image like the old days. I still remember the night that I got my first homebrew (NesterDC) to finally boot, great stuff! I wasn't a smart kid so it took a good number of CDs before I got mkisofs and Toast to work right :olol:

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 pm Talking about DreamSNES makes me nostalgic. Now I want to see if my old Dreamcast drive is working just to see if I can make a CDI image like the old days. I still remember the night that I got my first homebrew (NesterDC) to finally boot, great stuff! I wasn't a smart kid so it took a good number of CDs before I got mkisofs and Toast to work right :olol:
You should talk to @Matisfaction about Pike. He loved that back in the day!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

pixel wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 pm Talking about DreamSNES makes me nostalgic. Now I want to see if my old Dreamcast drive is working just to see if I can make a CDI image like the old days. I still remember the night that I got my first homebrew (NesterDC) to finally boot, great stuff! I wasn't a smart kid so it took a good number of CDs before I got mkisofs and Toast to work right :olol:
NesterDC was the best emulator for Dreamcast by far. It was so cool to be able to emulate NES game on your TV. It was just like playing the original console! The only other one I sometimes used was the Genesis emulator that I dare not name! :olol: Sure the sound was pretty bad but on some games it was tolerable. Especially if it was a game I hadn't played before, then I didn't know what it was actually supposed to sound like so it wasn't as bad.

DreamSNES sucked imo. I could never get the roms.lst thing to work right so it would kill the laser when searching for games. As I remember none of the games I tried were really playable. I think some games could run OK if you disabled sound but who wants to play with no sound? Once the Xbox came out and very quickly had nearly perfect emulators my DCemulation days were done.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:12 pm
You should talk to @Matisfaction about Pike. He loved that back in the day!
I don't check my account that often but up until fairly recently, I used to get DMs asking me how to use Pike.
I can't get no...

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Calavera wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:12 pm
NesterDC was the best emulator for Dreamcast by far. It was so cool to be able to emulate NES game on your TV. It was just like playing the original console! The only other one I sometimes used was the Genesis emulator that I dare not name! :olol: Sure the sound was pretty bad but on some games it was tolerable. Especially if it was a game I hadn't played before, then I didn't know what it was actually supposed to sound like so it wasn't as bad.

DreamSNES sucked imo. I could never get the roms.lst thing to work right so it would kill the laser when searching for games. As I remember none of the games I tried were really playable. I think some games could run OK if you disabled sound but who wants to play with no sound? Once the Xbox came out and very quickly had nearly perfect emulators my DCemulation days were done.
NesterDC was the shit. I started messing with emulation with Nesticle in the 90s and it was cool but it was more about the novelty of playing Nintendo games on the PC than actually just playing the games. NesterDC really was the first time that emulation actually felt like the real thing. I found DreamSNES to be pretty playable but once I got my Xbox, I never looked back. :olol:

That really was the golden age for emulation. To this day, I don't think there's been one device that does it all as well as an original Xbox.