General Tech News/Discussion Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: General Tech News/Discussion Thread

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:Australia, you know that country you live in, does not see Internet as a guaranteed service no matter what any customer says.

I just saw this.
If I may, I would like to be like Sideshow Mel... COME STAND NEXT TO THE BATHROOM DOOR, I WANT TO YELL AT YOU SOME MORE!!

Once a CONTRACT has been signed, it IS A GUARANTEED service, and BOTH PARTIES MUST MEET THEIR OBLIGATIONS... I'm not saying EVERY company HAS to offer a service to 100% of the country... And I am not saying internet is a guaranteed service.. Where did I say that?
I said, where a provider OFFERS a service, that service HAS to meet what has been signed AND PAID for... And IF it doesn't, it's a breach of contract, no matter what...

You should work for Vodafone James :owink: They'd pay you 180K a year to get them out of shit. :olol: They tried the same bullshit with me of why they weren't liable for a shitty service.... But a Technical knowledge and a little Customer service knowledge got me my money back and a few extra bucks, and a few months free usage..

You can fuck with someone who's ignorant... And you can fuck with someone who's an asshole... But you can't fuck with someone who's informed and nice to you.. :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

apparently I'm getting the shitty HFC NBN according to the optus TV and phone cut off notice.. I'm not paying MORE for net fucking worse than I have now. I do want to tell the NBN guys not to touch any of my copper, but I won't be home. (They don't need to even touch my copper to install NBN, I'm on my own line separate to optus)

I was talking with Sam (I think my ISP's only customer service rep, who is fucking awesome) and he said that he couldn't see any cutoff notices for the lines I am using. so essentially, I can keep ADSL until the lines are physically removed. And when I am ready to switch (IE after I have no net) I can go on their fastest plan, contract free, no setup fee with installation within a week, a free modem, pay as I go phone, and a $10 a month discount.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:apparently I'm getting the shitty HFC NBN according to the optus TV and phone cut off notice.. I'm not paying MORE for net fucking worse than I have now. I do want to tell the NBN guys not to touch any of my copper, but I won't be home. (They don't need to even touch my copper to install NBN, I'm on my own line separate to optus)

I was talking with Sam (I think my ISP's only customer service rep, who is fucking awesome) and he said that he couldn't see any cutoff notices for the lines I am using. so essentially, I can keep ADSL until the lines are physically removed. And when I am ready to switch (IE after I have no net) I can go on their fastest plan, contract free, no setup fee with installation within a week, a free modem, pay as I go phone, and a $10 a month discount.
If NBN is using the Optus HFC (which apparently they're only doing in very select areas, what with Optus HFC being a fucking mess) then no, they won't touch your copper. They won't have anything to do with your copper at all. Copper based FTTN and HFC have no shared infrastructure in your premises so there will be no touching of your line. Also, copper disconnect is 12-18 months past NBN RFS date. Unless you're using Optus HFC cable now (which I know you're not) because Optus make up their own rules and say "FUCK YOU!" to all their cable customers and WILL switch those services off as soon as NBN RFS date hits.

For what it's worth, NBN HFC is miles better than ADSL/FTTN. It's almost on par with FTTP.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Firefox 57 is now out and has killed most of the add-ons I was using. Bring back Tab Mix Plus!

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

I got off lightly with it killing add-ons in many ways, in another it killed downthemall which was a bloody usefull one, hopefully it wont be too long before plugins start working again, gotta assume the authors are trying to update em

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

It almost looks like a microwave or something

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It cooks those CDs nice.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

At 5x the price.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

That's as stupid as when Nvidia said "this 10 bajillion dollar laptop has more power than a PS4 Pro"

I'd have been impressed if they said Ipad Pro has a vega 56 and 24 hour battery life..
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Microsoft is building its own Chrome browser to replace Edge

Redmond makes a big change to compete on the web

Microsoft is building its own Chromium browser to replace the default on Windows 10. The software giant first introduced its Edge browser three years ago, with a redesign to replace Internet Explorer and modernize the default browsing experience to compete with Chrome and others. While the modern look and feel has paid off for Edge, the underlying browser engine (EdgeHTML) has struggled to keep up with Chromium. Microsoft is finally giving up and moving its default Windows 10 browser to Chromium.

The Verge understands Microsoft will announce its plans for a Chromium browser as soon as this week, in an effort to improve web compatibility for Windows. Windows Central first reported on these plans, which are codenamed Anaheim internally. We understand there has been a growing frustration inside Microsoft at Edge’s web compatibility issues, and businesses and consumers have been pushing the company to improve things.

Microsoft has only managed to go so far with EdgeHTML, though. Chrome is now the most popular browser across all devices, thanks to Android’s popularity and the rise of Chrome on PCs and Macs. Chrome has turned into the new IE6, and web developers have been favoring its rendering engine to optimize their sites. Google has also been creating Chrome-only web services, simply because its often the first to adopt emerging web technologies as its engineers contribute to many web standards.

Microsoft’s rendering engine has fallen behind as a result, and the company is finally ready to admit this. There were signs Microsoft was about to adopt Chromium onto Windows, as the company’s engineers have been working with Google to support a version of Chrome on an ARM-powered Windows operating system.

Adopting Chromium as the default rendering engine for Windows 10 will end Microsoft’s hostility towards Chrome. Microsoft has regularly pushed notifications to Windows 10 users to attempt to convince them not to use Chrome, and Microsoft pulled Google’s Chrome installer from the Windows Store, because it violated store policies. Those policies restrict rival store browsers to using Microsoft’s own Edge rendering engine.

Source: The Verge

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

That’s a huuuuge shift, and very exciting news. Edge has been terrible, so it will be nice to possibly have a browser bundled with Windows that isn’t trash.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »