The Classic Wrestling Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Classic Wrestling Thread

Post by Bandit »

You're right, but I think general WCW ignorance had more to do with it.

Like Mike Tyson was less family friendly as a convicted rapist suspended from boxing. And he helped save WWF's ass because they gave him a great angle. And WCW almost had him signed before he asked for too much money. If they had him he'd just stand around with the nWo and everybody would have forgotten about it a month later. But WWF gave him a legendary debut segment.

I remember Heenan once said he thought Eric signed celebrity cameos more so Vince didn't get them than anything. He also burned them out by doing Rodman/Malone (which worked because Karl really loved being there and he had legit heat with Rodman so the public bought it) and Jay Leno (which didn't work because Jay wasn't a fan and only did it for charity so treated it like a joke the whole time) back to back.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Speaking of which, where is Inoki? Only Dennis Rodman goes over there anymore.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He's probably still looking for buried treasure on his island.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

:olol: I forgot about Inoki Island.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

DX debuted 20 years ago today.

I wanted their original shirt so bad but my mom knew I'd wear it to school and get suspended so I couldn't have it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's kind of amazing how forgotten Kidman is in history these days. He was over like crazy in WCW and was kind of like Daniel Bryan on a lesser level in that fans rallied behind him when Hogan was refusing to do much with him (although in Hogan's defense them wrestling was a terrible idea to begin with.) But if you tried to tell somebody that who wasn't watching WCW in 2000 they probably wouldn't believe you. He was just that guy who was married to Torrie Wilson that didn't do much in WWE, got fat and then became a producer.

Somebody doesn't get Tony's sense of humor.

And he should be used to announcers ignoring him. Even at the height of his career in 2000, his own stable Filthy Animals would do guest commentary during his match and completely ignore him to all get themselves over. Disco would be wacky, Juvi would be doing his Rock impression, Konnan would be continuing his streak of bashing Kronik any time he had a microphone, and Mark Madden kept making Tygress yipe like a chihuahua for some reason. It was a clusterfuck. So he should blame them or at least Russo for sending them out there.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea Dr Jerry Graham was apparently legit crazy. I've read/heard a few stories about him over the years but IMO wrestling needs more guys like him to make things interesting.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

So I've been watching the latter TNT shows and they include

Adrian Adonis friend "Mr Bruce" being called a fruit by Mean Gene who then makes another "joke" about him being behind Adrian. There's also a gay joke made at the end by Alfred. Gene insuinates Jimmy is gay too.

Jake makes sexual innunedo about his " snake" and has Damien hanging between his legs

Hulk who looks coked up to the nines rambling on about spies

Gene and Alfred dressing us in confederate cap, waistcoat and waving flags.

Was TNT a late night show because it seems Vince was pushing the envelope even back then.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

No, it had the same 8pm time slot Prime Time Wrestling had. IIRC they had a sports highlight show that was their late night thing on USA. Then on weekends they showed B-movies hosted by Gilbert Gottfried.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK thanks. Another thing they show a clip from the Flower Ship and Hulk says "Hey Boy, Girl or whatever the hell you are" to Adorable Adrian. Imagine if they did that now, their advertisers would drop them like a hot potato and the backlash from the LGBT community. Looking at these shows from a 2017 perspective makes the WWF look bad. Oh and another thing they have Lord dressed up as Macho and clear as day you can see his junk thru his tights. The only good thing so far is Capt Lou mentioning he is helping raising money to fight MS. He also mentions Vince as head of the WWF. But on the whole whilst TNT is fun it's really un-PC. This guy would have a field day

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I wouldn't want to remind anyone of that if I was him. That was such an awful show.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The monster truck off the roof stuff = Wrestlecrap Platinum

So it appeared on one TNT that Mean Gene tried to make a sexual advance toward a woman. She appeared as a "therapist" to get George The Animals mind of Elizabeth. Gene goes up to her and plays with her hair a little and strokes her neck. The woman doesn't look best pleased like "this isn't part of the script". Is Mean Gene known for pulling stunts like this?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Back in December 1999 my friend's sister happened to be at a bar some of the wrestlers went to after Nitro in Baltimore. She has really big boobs, so Mean Gene comes over to her completely hammered (and he had to get a kidney transplant in 1995 so drinking is very dangerous) and wouldn't leave her alone, telling her how great her breasts are. She just laughed it off because it was so surreal.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

After seeing Gene hit on the lady on TNT that doesn't surprise me, he comes across as very creepy. He seemed sober then too, so I imagine a drunk Mean Gene is even worse. Did any of the boys pull him away from your friend's sister. As WCW was still fairly popular, then Gene causing a scene wouldn't have been good. She should have slapped him :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

No, she said nobody had much of a reaction which made her think it was a common thing for him. But it was probably just The Boys don't want to cock block anybody. Plus the guy is tiny and was old even back then so he's harmless. If Sid or somebody was doing it it would be different. Also remember Russo was having him look at tits when he was interviewing women. So he probably saw him do it and told him to do it on TV. I remember he did it to Elizabeth back when she was wearing the leather dresses in the nWo (not when Randy was with her or he'd have broken his jaw.)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I forget he did that. Didn't they get Pamela Paulshock to take over from Gene under Russo?. I also kinda agree and disagree about the harmless bit. Say he went over and touched her then it matters little if he's like 5ft tall and an old guy. He'd still be sexually harassing. Gene also tried to hit on Liz on TNT until Randy got a bit wound up. He also did that to Ashley from the Pussycat Dolls on Legends House. Surprised Vince didn't give Gene a Leisure Suit Larry gimmick. Speaking of Vince Jr he did that whole bit too when he hit on Trish, Torrie, Stacy and had his Vinces Angels group. I won't be surprised if stories come out in the near future about harassment at WWE. I guess there was no smoke without fire when they had the sex scandal in the 80s.