Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by melancholy »

In my entire history of going to Goodwill, I have never seen any games pre-PS1 era. Never. Most of the time it’s just PS2 and Wii junk. The occasional PS1 game shows up, but beyond DS shovelware, no cart-based games. And I have never seen a game console either. The closest to any gaming hardware is the infinite pile of Rock Band guitars. So yeah, I have no idea how you find this stuff. Your area clearly doesn’t value games the way people around here must.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Here is a picture of it so you know I'm not just making it up. :olol:

It is pretty surprising to find an NES or cartridge game of any kind at goodwill anymore. Especially a rare one like this.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Good find Cal. Over here now games, LPs etc are researched in some shops so are priced accordingly. Understandable though as the proceeds go to charity. But ocassionally you get something good.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Pretty huge find today. Not really huge in value, huge in wow I can't believe I found this at Goodwill in 2018!

$6.99 haven't tested it yet. It came with the power cables and RF adapter. I actually have a joystick and cartridge for it that I bought years ago not knowing what it was for.

*edit not sure why the pictures are showing upside down. If you click on it to view the full size it is right side up.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That's a very good find, especially at that price.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:That's a very good find, especially at that price.
Thank you good sir! I thought so, in 2018. To find a 38 year computer still in the box. It even has the original price sticker of $269 on it. Somebody knew it was good, because it was hidden behind some weird toaster oven that has been there for a long time. I only noticed it because I happened to have to use the bathroom and upon leaving the bathroom I walked upon the electronics section at a different angle and saw it hidden there. Probably the same guy who wanted to buy that Mickey Mouse game! :heyhey:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Cool find Cal. Don't think the Texas one ever got a UK release.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up another Texas Instruments device, a TI-92 plus

It was $10, I had no idea of the value but thought scientific calculators are usually kind of expensive so I bought it. It wasn't worth as much as I thought but I sold it for $28 total a few days later. So after fees and shipping I only made about $8 on it, at least I didn't lose money on it though.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Nice find today. A Soundesign 5995 Triple Cassette system. Two cassette decks plus an 8-track player! :heyhey: I believe this is one of the last 8-track players ever made. I think it came out somewhere around 1988-1989, and 8-track would have been basically dead for almost a decade at that point. It was $10, it is very nice cosmetic condition. The 8-track player and AM/FM works great. The cassettes will fast forward but not play or rewind which just means a broken belt. That is to be expected for a 30 year old machine.

This machine may look a bit familiar. Here is the first post made in this thread from April 1st 2016
Soundesign 5994B from the late 80s, Features a dual-cassette + 8-track and even a record player! The record player is separate from the main unit. The record player has red and white RCAs and a Sega Genesis style adapter plug which plugs into the main unit to get power. So it can really only be used with the 5994B unless you rigged up your own power cable. I think these are pretty rare to find, especially with the record player. Cassettes, 8-track and record player all work! $5 for the main unit + $5 for the record player. $10 total

So now I own both color variations of the unit. :olol:

I also picked up The Simpsons Sing the Blues CD for $1.99. I used to own the cassette of it back in the day and mostly bought it for nostalgic reasons. I was happy to find the silver 8-track cassette though, I think it is a pretty cool looking machine.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

How often do you go out looking? And is all of this found at Goodwill?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote:How often do you go out looking? And is all of this found at Goodwill?
Not as often as I should be. I'd say on average about once a week sometimes more. About 95 percent of everything is found at goodwill. Every once in a while I'll go to the salvation army or local flea market. I rarely go to the flea market anymore, it seems there is never anything good there and the few good things they have are usually crazy overpriced.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So I have discovered that only my local Goodwills suck. We were out of town and needed to burn 40 minutes before a restaraunt we wanted to go to would open. Well the restaraunt was next to a Goodwill, so we thought why not.

What a completely different place. They had three shelves filled with video games, including Xbox 360, PS3, and even GameCube games. And they weren’t shovelware GameCube games either, they had the entire Metal of Honor series, a couple of Lego games, and some other semi-decent titles all priced at $3. Nothing of significant value, but exponentially better than the local collection. They also had Blu-Rays. BLU-RAYS! The best one I saw was Skyfall, but just seeing Blu-Rays at all in a Goodwill was crazy compared to the local stores.

Back in the electronic section they had a big ass 5 CD changer with dual tape decks and various audio mixers. No speakers, and unfortunately missing a price tag so I don’t know what it was going for. They also had a 22” LED TV for $15 that I immediately snatched up. Nearly bought a PC racing wheel for $8, but I already have one. And they had some kind of crazy Wii Lightgun setup that was unlike any Wiimote attachment I had ever seen before. I should have bought it just for the novelty of it.

In all, it was the best Goodwill I had ever been to. I didn’t leave with a lot, but just the sheer amount of cool stuff they had in there compared to any of the others I’ve visited made the trip worth it.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up a gold Zelda Skyward Sword Wii remote for $0.99

Also picked up a standard white wii remote and a white nunchuck for $0.99 a piece.

Plus a Texas Instruments TI-85 and TI-30XA for $0.99 apiece. I wouldn't say I am a collector of TI calculators but whenever I see one for cheap I have to pick it up.

Then we have a Seiko World Time Voice Alarm, I almost didn't buy it. It was $1.99 and I was like eh I don't really need it. But of course I ended up buying it and I'm glad I did as it goes for around $40! I'm not sure what year it was made but I'm guessing around the mid-80s. It still has part of the original price tag on the bottom of it, $125! So I'd guess mostly fancy 1980s business men sat them on their desks. :olol:

I really enjoy that 1980s computer voice :)

The last item for today is a Speak And Math. It was also $1.99

When I saw it saw it on the shelf I thought "awesome these are hard to find" Turns out they go for around $30 which is still damn good for a $1.99 purchase. One major problem though, no speech :ocry: It powers up and the buttons and screen function just fine but there is no sound at all. I took apart to see if maybe just one of the speaker wires came loose but they are both connected fine. I've looked online a little but didn't see anybody else with a Speak and Math or even a Speak and Spell that works with no voice. I guess it is possible that the speaker has gone out, but that seems unlikely. I'll mess around with it a bit more though and see if I can't get it working.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Cal, how common are high end VCRs (think they are JVC and Panasonics (one other brand too which I forget, maybe a Sony?) with the flip down controls) or where they were more for a niche market? I believe they output S-VHS and were around in the early to mid 90s. They are quite highly priced because of their quality. Thanks

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote:Cal, how common are high end VCRs (think they are JVC and Panasonics (one other brand too which I forget, maybe a Sony?) with the flip down controls) or where they were more for a niche market? I believe they output S-VHS and were around in the early to mid 90s. They are quite highly priced because of their quality. Thanks
I found two Panasonic AG-1980s one time, $5 a piece sold them for $200 a piece :shock: Those are probably the kind of high end ones you are talking about. I have one or two S-VHS decks which I think are JVC but they really aren't worth that much last time I checked, around $20.

In all my years of looking the two AG-1980s are the only super high end ones I've found so they don't seem to be very common. I usually always look at the VCRs and DVD players they having laying around at goodwill to see if there is anything good mixed in. Most of the time you are lucky to even find a stereo model. Most you find are the low end ones with just a yellow and white output.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks Cal, yep they were the ones. I have heard good things about the Panasonic PV-VS4821 & Panasonic PV4660 too. The AG-1980s I was looking about, it was an old forum thread from like 2004 but they were saying they can sell up to $1000. I think I've mentioned before I collect music VHS so I'm looking for a better quality VCR with Hi-Fi stereo, S-VHS etc. Although for the price if they go up in the hundreds or more, might try and find the VHS on DVD instead. Some though aren't on DVD like the Making of Thriller. Yea I see like the lower end VCRs but newer made ones have like 24 months max use. So really the Panasonic AGs are where it's at. A few more recommended VCRs

Toshiba W-727
Sony SLV-N55
Sony SLV-373UB (made in 1990 but said to be high quality)
Panasonic NV-F75B (one up on eBay currently for £310 :shock:)

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote:I think I've mentioned before I collect music VHS so I'm looking for a better quality VCR with Hi-Fi stereo, S-VHS etc. Although for the price if they go up in the hundreds or more, might try and find the VHS on DVD instead. Some though aren't on DVD like the Making of Thriller. Yea I see like the lower end VCRs but newer made ones have like 24 months max use. So really the Panasonic AGs are where it's at. A few more recommended VCRs

Toshiba W-727
Sony SLV-N55
Sony SLV-373UB (made in 1990 but said to be high quality)
Panasonic NV-F75B (one up on eBay currently for £310 :shock:)

The only S-VHS machine I have at the moment is a JVC HRS2901U it isn't a super high end deck or anything. I have an old camcorder that can shoot in S-VHS (Panasonic AG-450) and I've mainly only used the deck to play recordings from that. Which was only about 10 minutes of recording just to test it out since I don't have a battery and was running it off an extension cord :olol:

Would the JVC machine be anything you'd be interested in or are you looking for something higher end?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks Cal, the JVC model looks real good but unfortunately US VCRs don't accept PAL VHS.

Ideally I'm looking for a high quality one which can display the best picture. So I'm assuming the S-VHS would be the ones to seek out.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

My girlfriend knows somebody that works at one of the local goodwills. She said they got 8 Sega games in and management decided to put them online rather then sell them in the store. This is the auction for it

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/54474717

$1099!!!
Fucking Snatcher on Sega CD! Holy shit! Why oh why did they decided to put those games online!

I looked up the other games on ebay to see what they are selling for and total for everything including Snatcher I came up with a total of $985. So whoever got them paid basically exactly what you could get them for on ebay. Whoever bought them is crazy! I'd rather bought them off ebay. On ebay you are protected. Right in the condition disclaimer on the auction it says "Items have not been authenticated." So who knows that Snatcher could have been a repro. I doubt it was but you never know, and I'd want to be damn sure before I paid that kind of money.

All in all I'm bummed that came into a local Goodwill and I had no chance of getting it. Fucking online bullshit!

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that happens here. A lot of stuff is researched and priced accordingly to eBay. Thing is LPs are graded by condition on there so you could pay the same amount and end up with a scratched up LP in a charity store. I understand them wanting to make the max amount of money though. Not sure if you've checked out Weird Paul on YouTube but he picks up a ton of bargains from Goodwill, thrift shops etc. I think he's up in Pittsburgh. Are the Goodwill prices universal or differ by state?. I'm guessing Flea markets might be an easier place to find things too.