The New Games On Old Systems Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The New Games On Old Systems Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Been thinking of starting this thread for a while because these don't quite fit in the retro thread, but never got around to it.

Sam's Journey looks good. I'd buy it to play on the C64 Mini but US$23.99 is a bit pricey for the digital version of a C64 game. Still might get it though.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The New Games On Old Systems Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
I thought we had a metal jesus rule on these forums. You have to warn people.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OK, here you go.

The previous video featured this person:

And it didn't feature Kelsey.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Nice music!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Why would you want to pay good money for an old crappy game? We have 3D HD awesome games nowadays. Who wants to play this old atari crap

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Planet X3 is due in May 2019, and is actually a sequel to Planet X2, which was released last year... on C64.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Planet X3 is due in May 2019, and is actually a sequel to Planet X2, which was released last year... on C64.
That's Dave the 8bit guys game. He talks about the Commodore game on his channel and said he had to leave a lot of ideas out because of the RAM limitations so X3 most likely includes everything he left out from X2. His Kickstarter was real successful raising over $100,000

There's a few videos of him making the game on his YT channel

He mentioned both games are written in assembler language instead of Basic. I believe he codes on a modern computer too (a Mac I think) which is most likely much easier to edit code if you make error(s).

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Farming Simulator is coming to the C64

We already know that there is a work in progress demake of Portal AND Limbo coming to the C64, especially as we told everyone in our friends list. But did you know there is a demake of Farming Simulator coming aswell? Well thankfully going by the latest Lotek64 update this might be the case, as recently they interviewed GIANTS Software to see if this wasn't some April fools joke!

Although a much more indepth interview can be read (HERE) including how the game to be, the developers clearly had a love for the C64 as one of their own employees actually had friends in the C64 scene. This commercial C64 game however will be coming with the Farming Simulator 19 - PC Collector's Edition, as in their words a seperate CD in the form of a disk image in D64 format and a CRT format module. Although they do plan to offer the C64 game sometime separate from the Collector's Edition.

So what can we expect in terms of gameplay? Clearly there's a lot of love gone into the C64 version, as we now know it isn't just fully playable with various vehicles to control, but you can plough fields, sow them, harvest with a harvester and even sell your goods to buy more gas. All controllable via a Joystick, with smooth scrolling landscapes, and details vehicles composed of several sprites. The downside which is in more detail in the interview, is only a maximum of two machines can be displayed simultaneously on the screen and of course theres hardware limitations. But it still looks pretty damn good overall!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I've played Farming Simulator before and man is it dull! I don't see how people can play it for such long periods of time and get so much enjoyment out of it. The C64 version might actually be a bit more fun since it will be simplified and not so mundane. I had SimFarm back in the day and I remember enjoying it. Then again it was 1993 and I was 5 years old, so I wasn't as picky about games back then. You were happy to get a new game and play it whether it was good or bad! Example, I used to play Bioforge back when it first came out and played it quite a bit. The game was a little to advanced for a 7 year old and for the most part I had no idea what I was doing in trying to advance. Still played the shit out of it though, just walking around and messing with computer terminals.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've never played the farming sim games, they look boring. The C64 version is a cool bonus though.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Same, I do like the look of the Commodore version though.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:41 pm I've never played the farming sim games, they look boring.
Have you ever played a trucking simulator like Euro or American Truck Simulator? I really want to like them as a truck driving game sounds cool, but just like the farming simulator it is pretty dull. It might be more interesting if it had more country highways and backroads to explore and just a more lively world in general. It is basically pick a load then drive a short distance from the town you are in onto the interstate. Then you just drive and drive on the interstate with hardly any change in scenery. You also have to do the speed limit which sometimes is painfully slow. Don't even try to speed either unless it is nighttime and you can clearly see there are no lights from any cars in front of or behind you because the cops are everywhere in this game. You may have to pull over for fuel or to sleep. Continue doing this until you reach your destination. Rinse and repeat.

I actually did get a bit of enjoyment out of this game for a short time, but after a few loads I was pretty much done with it. I think it could actually be a pretty fun game, it just needs more added to it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've got Euro Truck Simulator 2. I don't mind it but it does get old quickly.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Portal
System: Commodore 64
Developer: Jamie Fuller, Del Seymour, Roy Widding
Release Date: Out Now
Price: Free

A 2D version of Portal.

Review: Portal (C64)

Micro Mages
System: NES
Developer: Morphcat Games
Release Date: 2019
Price: Digital - €8 EUR + Shipping/Cartridge + Digital - €42 EUR + Shipping
Website: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/micr ... -the-nes#/

A nice looking 40kb vertical platformer with funky music.
NES version

All officially released console versions and regions are supported: NTSC NES, PAL NES, Famicom with a 72-to-60-pin cartridge adapter (not included).

High-quality clones such as the retroUSB AVS and Analogue Nt mini are also supported. Furthermore, our testers confirmed the game works on the RetroN 5.
Digital version

Alternatively, we offer a ROM version. This allows you to play the game on your PC and many other platforms through the use of an emulator.

Alongside the ROM download, we will provide easy-to-understand instructions on how to set up an emulator and play Micro Mages on a Windows PC.

The Shadows of Sergoth
System: Amiga, Amstrad CPC 6128
Developer: AgedCode
Release Date: Amstrad version Out Now/Amiga ???
Price: ???
Website: https://doublesidedgames.com/the-shadow ... ming-2019/

A cool looking dungeon crawler in the style of Dungeon Master, Eye Of The Beholder etc. The Amstrad version has gotten good reviews.

Castlevania: Spectral Interlude
System: ZX Spectrum 128
Developer: SaNchez, darkman007, diver4d

This started off as a port/demake of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest but they ended up making a whole new game instead. I used to play it on the GP2X Caanoo, it's good fun.

Fork Parker's Crunch Out
System: SNES
Developer: Mega Cat Studios
Release Date: ???
Price: US49.99
Website: https://megacatstudios.com/products/for ... crunch-out

A game about video game developer crunch. Topical!

Aquabyss
System: Amiga
Developer: AgedCode
Release Date: ???
Price: ???

This game was only just announced today. It's from the creators of The Shadows of Sergoth.

R0x Zero
System: Atari ST/STE
Developer: Retro Gamer CD

A very nice looking and sounding SHMUP that's in a ST scene demo.

Tiger Claw
System: C64, Amiga, Amiga CD32
Developer: Lazycow and Saul Cross
Release Date: C64 Out Now/ Amiga Soon
Price: C64 - US2.99/Amiga ???

A game inspired the C64 classic Bruce Lee. The Amiga version id supposed to be out around Xmas time.

If the formatting and games in this post look familiar to anyone, it's because I started up this same topic at NeoGAF yesterday.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I would love to have a cart of that Micro Mages.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Same. The game looks good.