Anyone got a premade RetroPi image or know where to grab a good un

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Anyone got a premade RetroPi image or know where to grab a good un

Post by Hawq »

I'm after a RetroPi image to test out my Pi with a psu the shop gave me today but setting up RetroPi is proving to be a complete git for me so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had a small(ish) image, possibly with some games to test as well, even an 8GB one would be more than big enough for testing it. This all assumes the psu I got is sufficient to run it of course but hard to tel without a working emulationstation or similar to use, trying to set it up myself is a tricky thing as I cant understand why its not been working on a fresh install & the instructions are unreadable after a bit as my eyes go.
Ultimately even a 2-4GB image with some basic games would do the trick as that could be added to later if its all working

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Anyone got a premade RetroPi image or know where to grab a good un

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There are images here, although most of them are pretty big but there are some 8gb.

Code: Select all

https://www.arcadepunks.com/retro-pi-downloads-page/
It's not that hard to do it yourself. This is how you do it.

Download the RPi image from here:

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Download & install Win32DiskImager:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Burn the RetroPie image onto a microsd card with Win32DiskImager. That should boot up on the Pi.

Put a USB stick in the Pi and leave it in there for a minute or 2.

Then put the USB stick into your PC and it should have ROM folders on it. Put ROMs in the folders.

Put the USB stick back into the RPi and leave it for a while so the ROMs can transfer across.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

hmm maybe a lack of usb was the issue though I assumed the emulators on the sd card would be fine, hadnt got to adding the roms in yet last time, mind you I couldnt get past the setup last time as the only option on the menu even after putting 3 emulators on was the setup option.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The emulators usually only show up when there are ROMs in it's folder.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ah, I'll have to whack some on a usb then, once the sd cards formated with the pie stuff on windows tends to complain about reading it & wanmt to format it again. Could be a moot point though as this new psu is showing the low power lghtning bolt as well, thoough after some debate in cex the manager said if its not working right with this psu he'd do a refund, after someone else in there told me that they only do refunds within 48 hours (seems a violation of customer rights to me) which wasnt made clear when I got the thing

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Windows wants to format it after the flash because it literally can’t read a Linux image after you flash it.

I wish I knew about the USB method that Zoidberg posted when I was setting up mine. It would have saved a ton of time. Instead, I FTP’ed everything. It sucked. If it wasn’t for the prebuilt ROM sets on ArcadePunks, I probably would have just given up on it.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

its one of the smaller images from there I'm currently getting, assuming the huge wait in the middle of it (dont wanna pay for the thing to dl faster) doesnt screw it up but with the psu being not good enough I doubt it'll save it for me,, a pre-configured one or similar device in the future may be a choice though if this doesnt work decently for me. At least if I get my money back I aint lost anything other than some time, which I probably woulda wasted anyway