Damn FF7 is still good

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Damn FF7 is still good

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Once you get past the really dated graphics, it is still good. I got it on PS4 and they added three cheats that makes grinding almost useless. Originally I don't think I got off of disk 1 so I am actually looking forward to beating it finally.

I got my PSX and FF7 shortly after I got my first job and I use to let a friend around the block borrow it while I was at work. The Jackass kept on ruining plot points for me to the point where I stopped playing.

I am already outside of Midgar on the first sitting.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Re: Damn FF7 is still good

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Ohh and for the love of shit No Spoilers.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I finished it on the PS 20 years ago, there's only one big spoiler I can really remember.

I also have it for the PS4, haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I finished it on the PS 20 years ago, there's only one big spoiler I can really remember.

I also have it for the PS4, haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
So the three cheats are: running the game in 3x Speed, turning off random encounters, and basically god mode. Each round your party is fully healed, magic restored, limit breaker filled and status ailments removed. So basically as long as your whole party can't be one knocked out in one shot you will survive the fight.

It is basically FF7 Story mode and that is exactly what I want.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I don’t know how far you are, but if you have the Steam version you should be playing DLPB’s retranslation. Not only does it fix the story to be true to the original, it also adds a TON of fixes that improve the original’s wonkier mechanics. He’s still working on getting the final version done, but I played through it when it was still version 3 and even then it was a massive improvement.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

melancholy wrote:I don’t know how far you are, but if you have the Steam version you should be playing DLPB’s retranslation. Not only does it fix the story to be true to the original, it also adds a TON of fixes that improve the original’s wonkier mechanics. He’s still working on getting the final version done, but I played through it when it was still version 3 and even then it was a massive improvement.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

Looks cool, shame I am 8 or 9 hours in. I am out of midgar and across the sea.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’ve been holding off another playthrough until that translation gets its final release. I’ve beaten VII at least 15 times with 3 playthoughs besting all the Weapons too. It’s in my top 3 favorite games.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

melancholy wrote:I’ve been holding off another playthrough until that translation gets its final release. I’ve beaten VII at least 15 times with 3 playthoughs besting all the Weapons too. It’s in my top 3 favorite games.

You would have hated Brandon. I learned my lesson with 9 though. I didn't let him borrow it until I was off of disk one, and then I would only give him the disks I was done so he couldn't get ahead if me.

For me, I think my top 3 RPGs are Secret of Mana, FF9, and Cystalis.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

My top 3 RPG’s are FFVII, Mother 3 and Persona 4.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I finished it on the PS 20 years ago, there's only one big spoiler I can really remember.
Exactly the same for me, finished it 20 years ago and can only remember one spoiler. A kid at school told me that spoiler before I reached that part too, I was a little pissed but ultimately didn't really care.

OrangeRibbon wrote: So the three cheats are: running the game in 3x Speed, turning off random encounters, and basically god mode. Each round your party is fully healed, magic restored, limit breaker filled and status ailments removed. So basically as long as your whole party can't be one knocked out in one shot you will survive the fight.

It is basically FF7 Story mode and that is exactly what I want.
The first and only time I played it 20 years ago that is basically how it played it. I didn't really know alot about RPGs at the time and I wanted to play the game but sucked at fighting and would keep dieing. So I put in a few gameshark cheats. I can't remember exactly what they were, I think something like all stats and level maxed out. So while I still had to deal with the random battles they were pretty easy.

I remember enjoying the game alot when I played it but I barely remember anything about it now.

melancholy wrote:My top 3 RPG’s are FFVII, Mother 3 and Persona 4.
Top 3 for me would probably be
1.Skies Of Arcadia
2.Grandia II
3.Earthbound

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I watched it being played when it came out. my cousin played it and I watched. Many 4 hour after school sessions.
Only one big spoiler but I avoided by being there and seeing it first hand. I'm sure everyone would know it by now.

I first played it myself in early 2002, after I had played the slightly boring 8 and the amazing 9, Mainly to get the taste of the mixed bag that was the spirits within out of my mouth.
I tried to replay it a few years ago on the PSP, but couldn't get into it anymore. Made it around half way through disc one then gave up.

Now, I'm not an RPG fan by any means, but final fantasy anything doesn't make my top 3.
1: Secret of Mana (from new release to a play through recently.. still amazing)
2: Grandia 2 (Gotten better with age, and a remake)
3: Zelda: Links awakening (To this day the only single Zelda game I have ever found enjoyable/playable for more than an hour)
then ff9 as a runner up. amazing characters that I was always fascinated by and a story that kept me playing. Really don't think I could play it today though.
I've never played ANY final fantasy game for PS2 or later..
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Wow disc three is short, and I finally beat it.

Brandon can go to hell for ruining that for me.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

OrangeRibbon wrote:Brandon can go to hell for ruining that for me.
I’m sorry. :frown:

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

melancholy wrote:
OrangeRibbon wrote:Brandon can go to hell for ruining that for me.
I’m sorry. :frown:
Ha I knew you lived around the street from me.