Who here has the slowest internet?

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Who here has the slowest internet?

Post by Calavera »

I've seen people only saying they ONLY have a 20-30mbps connection. I know alot of you in Australia complain the internet is pretty slow over there. I want to hear your actual speeds though. Right now I have a 3mbps connection, thats right not 30, not 300 but just 3. My average download speed is around 250kb/s and when it goes over 300kb/s I'm like damn it's going fast as shit! My absolute fastest possible download speed at 3mbps is 375kb/s.

The reason I thought of posting this thread is because recently I started what I consider to be a pretty big download. Huge really on 3mbps connection, this download was 65GB. How long would it take most of you to download 65GB. Let's say my average download speed is 250kb/s. So that is 21.6gb in 24 hours. So that would be around 72 hours or 3 days. Right now I am at 54.1GB downloaded out of 65 total. The active time for that 54.1gb is 4 days 11 hours. I figured it up and for it to take that long that is an average of about 135kb/s or the equivalent to a 1.1mbps connection.

Lets compare that to someone who complains they ONLY have a 20mbps connection. That is 2.5MB/s or 9GB an hour meaning it would take them 6 hours to get that 54GB compared to 4.5 days! One a 100mbps connection it would only take 1 hour and 12 minutes to get 54GB!!!!!

So anywho that is my slow internet story. So please do tell what is your internet speed?

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Who here has the slowest internet?

Post by Skynet »

I was on an ADSL connection that would report as being anywhere from 2-5Mbps. About 18 months ago I switched over to Australia's National Broadband Network which gets me almost 30Mbps. It's ridiculous as the cheap government decided VDSL is better than Fibre so I'm stuck with a sub-par service compared to those on Fibre connections.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

When we first moved here a bit over a year ago we were getting near 40MB. Now it connects at 23MB. Need to ring up TPG and get them to fix it.

I've been getting GTA V for the XOX, which is 60GB. It would probably take 8 or so hours if I tried to get it in one go.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I've been getting GTA V for the XOX, which is 60GB. It would probably take 8 or so hours if I tried to get it in one go.
That is crazy compared to my speed. If I ever get that kind of speed I'll have to buy a 4TB hard drive right away. Even at only 3mbps I download tons of games that I never end up playing. I'll see a game and think damn that looks cool I'll have to try that out! I download it and it just sits there on my hard drive. My 3 TB drive seems to always be close to getting full and I have to go through and clear some stuff out. Its funny, I can have a game that I downloaded 3 years ago and have never even installed yet but when it comes to clearing space I still can't get rid of it. I'll think, well I still might want to play that sometime.

So with a 30mbps connection, it'd probably be like when you first go from dial-up to broadband and have to download everything! :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've probably been getting 10-12MB speeds since 2000 but didn't get unlimited downloads until 2009. I used to download heaps of shit (got about 25 external HDDs) but not so much now.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm connected at 90 usually. But when I download I usually max out at 4MBps. Some torrents I'm lucky to get 700kbps. With Mega it varies but it's much faster.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

That's about right

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So I have a friend that has a PS4, Apple TV that streams Netflix damn near 24 hours a day, at least 2 computers, a couple of cell phones and iPads for the kids, and a son that plays all kinds of online games. And every month, he pays ATT to provide his house with only 3mbps internet.

For the last 10 years he has lived at this house, I have tried to convince him to upgrade his internet. But despite me pointing out all the reasons his internet sucks (‘You can only stream 480p video on your 4K TV!’ ‘Your son can only play online games at set times of the day to not steal bandwidth from others!’), he has steadfast refused to pay even a penny more than he has to for internet. Going over there is like stepping back into a bizarro dialup era where all online activity is micromanaged just to ensure that everyone gets a chance to go online.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote:So I have a friend that has a PS4, Apple TV that streams Netflix damn near 24 hours a day, at least 2 computers, a couple of cell phones and iPads for the kids, and a son that plays all kinds of online games. And every month, he pays ATT to provide his house with only 3mbps internet.

For the last 10 years he has lived at this house, I have tried to convince him to upgrade his internet. But despite me pointing out all the reasons his internet sucks (‘You can only stream 480p video on your 4K TV!’ ‘Your son can only play online games at set times of the day to not steal bandwidth from others!’), he has steadfast refused to pay even a penny more than he has to for internet. Going over there is like stepping back into a bizarro dialup era where all online activity is micromanaged just to ensure that everyone gets a chance to go online.
Do you know how much he pays a month for 3mbps? That is crazy that he sticks with 3mbps when something faster is available. The only reason I have 3mbps is that is all that is available out here. I would be thrilled with a 10mbps connection,

The only other option would satellite internet which would be far worse then what I currently have. I've never heard anything good about the reliability of satellite internet. Besides that every satellite internet service has insanely low data limits. Hughesnet is $69.99 for a month for speeds up to 25mbps but has a data limit of 20GB a month plus 50GB during off peak hours (2am-8am). What is the point of having 25mbps with a 20gb limit? 25mbps equals 3.1mb/s. So if you were doing a big download at full speed that would be just over 11GB per hour. So you could possibly blow through your monthly limit in less than 2 hours! :oshocked: Even if you weren't downloading and was just using it to stream Netflix and use Facebook you'd still end up hitting 20gb in just a couple of days. Even at 3mbps there are days where I've used around 18gb in 1 day. After you hit 20gb you are throttled down to 1-3mbps.

There is another satellite internet service that has been putting flyers all over the place around my area called Excede. The flyers claim high-speed with unlimited data! So I looked into it....... the highest package is $200 a month for 12mbps and a 65gb data limit! The lowest package is $100 a month for 12mbps and 35GB data limit.. That is INSANE!!! I wonder how many people actually pay that! But how can there be a data limit when every package claims unlimited and all the advertisements boast about the service being unlimited? It only mentions the data limit in small print on the website. "On the Unlimited Bronze 12, Silver 12, and Gold 12 service plans, after 35, 45, or 65 GB of data usage, respectively, we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion." Which means you are going to be throttled way down after you hit your limit, seeing how hughesnet offers 25 and throttles you down to 1-3. Excede only offer 12mbps so you'll probably be throttled down to less than 1mbps.

So while I may complain about only have 3mbps sometimes, it could certainly be alot worse. I'd rather have 3mbps unlimited data anyday over a faster speed that is limited. Limiting the faster speed completely defeats the purpose of having it!

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Cal have you looked here to see if fiber optic broadband is available in your area

https://broadbandnow.com/Fiber-Providers

If it's not possible I would look into a ISP which can offer better speeds. Are you paying a lot for the service you currently have too?. If so I'm
sure there's alternatives out there who are much more value for money.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

My ADSL was so shit and dropping out, and the new NBN is just as shit.
So my net was the shittest, now I am using 4G, which is faster than my wired connections, I don't really care how fast it is now, it's usable.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Did you actually get on the NBN? If it was shit, there were issues. Everyone I know who moved from DSL > NBN would never go back to DSL. I sure as shit wouldn't with my 3Mbps 40ms ping to Adelaide servers. My current service is about 30Mbps at time of writing with 6ms ping to Adelaide servers. And this is on a really long VDSL line too.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I did, month with Optus.
Same time I got this phone with Telstra.

We cancelled the internet and just kept the home phone on Optus.

Telstras mobile network is better than Optus’s wired and mobile networks lmao.

I’ve been too injured to spend much time at the computers though so mobile browsing it’s been for a while.

I did manage to get on the computer the other day, about 2 hours and I was done.

(I fell off a wall out the back doing car work and fucked my mouse hand, keyboard elbow, knee and ankle)
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Optus... that explains a lot :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:rofl:

Might actually sign up with telstra. Been incredibly happy with the phone plan I'm on. I actually get a signal (and a 4G one at that) in my room which is more than any other network can say.
-Two Interactive.