WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea, but you can't really have one rule for one and not the others. Vince should have disciplined him or at least sat him down (& Shawn) down and said you can't do things like that because it looks bad. Giving him free passes because he's the golden boy (like he did with HBK) can create an atmosphere when the boys are pissed off.

Outside of the Kliq I can't see anyone warming to Shawn back in the day & only really Bret spoke up about it. That could have caused major issues in the locker room because they didn't want to work with Shawn because of his bad attitude. Apparently Orton did weird things in the ring too like there's one story about John Cena and I can't see how they let that fly. It's just weird and inappropriate behaviour which he was bound to be found out about sooner or later. If he's turned it around now that's good but pre 2008 Randy Orton seemed a really weird guy.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Raw was a pile of shit. But we did get this moment

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Look who's turned up in the War Zone!!!!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's cool. Adam West is a better promo than most of the current WWE roster :lol: plus for me he's still the best Batman. Michael Keaton is second best. Another thing shame they can't get the Memphis (CWA) tapes on the Network.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dave at least tries to apologise but misses the point.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He was talking about her implants, not calling her fat.

But even if he was saying she got fat, so what. Why is it okay for Kevin Owens or some male who gained weight to be discussed but not her. They're in the same business that puts lots of value on looks unless you're doing a fat heel gimmick. Her body is a talking point if she's going to do a hot girl gimmick.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Lots of WWE employees are getting stuck into Dave. If HHH says anything about it, someone should tweet him the Chris Masters "stack of dimes" clip.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I think the implication that Dave was making is that Peyton had put on weight, which nowadays is "body shaming". Which is why she responded that way and tons of people supported her.

If Dave had said, "well she's not as good a worker now because of the implants" that would have made more sense. I do agree that it shouldn't be one rule for one and not for another. But you have to remember women are much more prone to suffer with eating disorders especially when guy(s) say they are fat. I think Alexa Bliss & Torrie Wilson have spoke out about having an eating disorder. Plus if Dave said Kevin Owens would be a better wrestler if he were slimmer he'd probably laugh it off. Men don't care as much (if at all) about their weight. Do they get offended, sure they do, but they are much less likely to have bulimia and/or anorexia like a girl/woman would.

Plus today the women wrestlers don't want to be seen as eye candy they want to be seen as athletes so Dave commenting on attractiveness isn't really relevant to the discussion because they are beyond it. I think his apology missed the point by a mile and I think she tweeted back "??????".

If you're doing a hot gimmick should that be commented on, yes. But should you criticise someone's looks or body shape, nope. If Dave were a female that might have deflected some of the heat. But he's a male and he comes across as chauvinistic with his comment. It's like that Piggy James gimmick they did, Mickie wasn't even fat yet she probably felt the need to slim down because of it.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

You're wrong and they're wrong but I see how it's misinterpreted. I heard the entire show, that was just a clip you and they heard. I know what I'm talking about here. And make no mistake, a lot of the tweeters are being willfully ignorant just so they can try to slam dunk on Dave on twitter because they hate him to begin with.

It's Dave's fault that he was trying to search for a nice way to say she got implants that he didn't think looked good on her. He used phrasing that left him open to this. But she hasn't gained weight so how is it possible for him to say she gained weight? She did take time off to get breast implants, though.

But he can't say the implants are causing her not to be able to work because she was never able to have a good match.

And yes, it's fair to criticize a WWE's weight regardless of gender. You don't think Vince or Stephanie aren't doing that? Do you think they'd let someone gain 40 pounds and keep quiet and not sit down with them or even turn it into an angle to shame them? It doesn't matter that women are treated seriously now. They're always going to be a cosmetic business.

You don't seem to know much about Dave if you think he's fat shaming. He has spoken out about how wrong he thinks pro wrestling having an unrealistic standard for women is for many years. Going back to when Tammy Sytch was gaining some weight and was stopped being hired by bigger companies he was talking about how it was wrong to expect her to look like she did at 25 for the rest of her life. And he spoke out when Paige was harassed by that fan for gaining weight.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Sorry, but the whole situation has pissed me off since Dave doesn't deserve getting ripped apart since it's clear the wrestlers had an agenda. And I do see why people thought this, since he surely picked the dumbest way to put this, but every person who pointed out what he meant got jumped on yesterday too. If it was a case of people being mad until it was explained to them, that would be fine. But when it's explained to them they were all "NO YOU ARE WRONG I KNOW WHAT HE MEANT!" and they don't even subscribe to have heard the show. Social media is the worst.

But anyway

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dave's getting mainstream media in Australia:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 5bbeabfc50

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:Sorry, but the whole situation has pissed me off since Dave doesn't deserve getting ripped apart since it's clear the wrestlers had an agenda. And I do see why people thought this, since he surely picked the dumbest way to put this, but every person who pointed out what he meant got jumped on yesterday too. If it was a case of people being mad until it was explained to them, that would be fine. But when it's explained to them they were all "NO YOU ARE WRONG I KNOW WHAT HE MEANT!" and they don't even subscribe to have heard the show. Social media is the worst.

But anyway

I posted the gif of Will as I'm really tired of internet drama and don't want it brought over to here. We all cool with each other and I didn't want to fall out with you over this. I understand you're pissed and wanted to vent so instead of responding I thought you know I'm done discussing the topic.

I definitely agree that Daves wrongly been targeted over this thing now. His words were taken out of context and your right certain wrestlers are using it to get back at him or take pot shots. I do believe he has to be careful with his choice of words in future but like you say this show was behind a paywall and had no right to be shared anyway. We've been on BG since like 2007, never have I been anti-Dave, I posted a pic once of him on a old PC and said he still types the Observer on it as a joke but there was no malice behind it. I think it's good he has covered wrestling since like 1982/83 instead of kayfabing it up he covered like a legit sport is. He's one heck of a journalist to write what he does each week, run his twitter, do radio shows, does writing for other media too. So I wasn't knocking Dave, just pointing out his choice of words can be perceived a certain way which is why some have flew of the handle over this.

You know I wouldn't like to see Dave stop covering wrestling over this. It's the product of today's society where the smallest thing is jumped on. I tried to look at from a perspective where you know he said something and didn't realise the implications of it. I only know part of the conversation so I should have just said you know I'll just leave it.

I visit here and post here because BGs devoid of the drama that bogs down other boards and we don't need it here. Because that type of stuff makes you not want to even visit and considering it's been a decade or a bit more that would be a shame.

So...

BG Club 4 Life

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I ended up being in the eye of the storm this week based on comments that I made on Wrestling Observer Radio last week.

For those who defended me, thanks. But I was wrong the way I worded things. Yes, things were taken out of context and the meaning espoused to what I said wasn’t what I meant. Even saying that, I was still wrong and apologized, actually immediately for it, to Peyton Royce. It was sincere. I knew the fact I apologized and sincerely felt bad wasn’t going to matter. And I know many felt I made a big mistake in doing so. But this was not a political decision, it was a decision based on my own feeling of right and wrong, and I was wrong. It’s a very tricky issue because I hate objectifying women or men based on looks while covering a business that is so heavily based on looks and bodies and where judgments are made. It’s really difficult because this is a business where cosmetic look plays a gigantic factor in who gets pushed and who doesn’t. It’s the nature of the entertainment business. To ignore that fact would really be not doing a part of my job. But others do the same job and I’ve been lucky enough to be a major player, and thus under a heavier microscope. But I still shouldn’t have said what I said. It is a difficult balancing act to be honest in analysis, but that’s not an excuse. We all make mistakes and all you can do is learn from them. I’ve learned from this one. It won’t happen again.
Dave from this weeks Observer. He's apologised quite a few times so the matter should be closed now. Theres also a 30 minute + apology he made on WOR too. Anyone jumping in now is just doing it to further their own agenda(s). Very hypocritical Russo is chiming in where he did angles which degraded women. Called Dave "Mr Magoo" so he's indirectly making fun of the partially sighted/blind too. I guess that irony is lost on him. I think this whole situation is a learning process where things can be taken way out of context.

The Twitter "woke" thing pisses me off too because no one stuck up for Naomi when idiots were saying racist things to her, the boys didn't boycott the Saudi tour where the ladies couldn't go there etc. Its the mob mentality gone OTT and there's probably even a percentage who bullied kids in high school & make sly digs at people still but suddenly become good folks white knighting on Twitter. That hypocritical BS is just the worst.

So yea I do believe they jumped on Dave unfairly. I think he'll get beyond it though and those criticising probably don't even read the Observer anyway.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's clear it was a WWE directive to go after him because they're mad about the MSG show. Because there'd be no ROH or New Japan in America without Dave, the biggest taste maker in wrestling, promoting them hard for years. He was mocked for acting like ROH should be a big deal in 2004, and telling people New Japan had gotten things together and were in the rebound in 2011. Much less that he's been promoting Japanese wrestling since 1981. And MSG is very important to Vince. He wants to keep everyone out because to him it is his father's building and sacred to him. So this is as big of a deal as anything Eric Bischoff did to him, but he doesn't just have one guy (well, two with Ted Turner) to blame. Sinclair is a faceless corporation and he probably couldn't pick Gedo out of a police lineup. So Dave is one of his targets.

There has been a directive for years never to acknowledge him. And the Mauro and JBL incident began over Mauro tweeting Dave thanking him for the best announcer award. So they had to have WWE's approval to be allowed to mention him. Peyton may have been organic, but it's clear with the pile on it was orchestrated when even Renee Young is burying him.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

How long until we get a Piggy Peyton angle?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Matt should just manage and be a character. Just bring back the segments from his house with Reby, Senor Benjamin and King Maxel once a week on Raw.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Has WWE ever reached out to Dave to employ him?. Think back in like the mid 80s Vince could have got him on board to do the WWF magazine, put out yearly alamanac books etc and in the modern day do podcasts, network content, put out a ton of WWE books etc. Because a guy like that who churns out a ton of content each week would have been a real valuable asset. He's also the closest they have to a real Historian of wrestling too.