Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I didn't Kickstart it, but I'll get it for the PS4.

The S1&2 remasters will be out August 21st. Saves from the Dreamcast will work with it. Saves from the DC won't work with S3 though.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I bought Shenmue 1 & 2 on Steam already. Now we play the waiting game.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:I got my survey and completed it for the Shenmue 3 kickstarter. I opted for the Steam digital version. I'm assuming most of you guys are going PS4? I assume ian and Prophet would go Steam.
I spent about 10 minutes trying to pick the version I wanted...
I ended up picking the PS4 physical version, figuring that if I ever want it on PC it'll be in a steam sale for $5.99 in a year..
Now I'm thinking of changing that back to PC.. I do have a very nice PC to play it on, and with , but a digital version seems like a waste, and the physical copy on PC doesn't make a lot of sense.

I suppose it makes little difference either way.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I wasn’t going to do this, but pre ordered the collection.
...on ps4. (And kept my survey for 3 on ps4 as well)
Main reason is that I want all of the games on a single platform. (Sucked in to anyone who gets the Xbox collection)
And playing them all on a console in the loungeroom will take me back to the good old days!
And since I do have a ps4 pro, maybe it’ll be enhanced one day (like a 5gb day fucking one likely)

The pc physical version would look nice next to shenmue 1 and 2 on dc, but all 3 in fancy bluray cases will look equally nice!
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Two more weeks until the release. I'm glad to see the game finally getting a remaster. It doesn't look like the graphics have been changed that much, but imo the graphics hold up pretty decently. I'd guess the graphics will be similar to if it was being played in NullDC at max settings (which looks very nice) I've tried playing the game in NullDC awhile ago and while it looks amazing I could never get much farther than a few minutes in due to one fatal flaw. The loading times! They are awful, I imagine the load times will be completely gone in this remaster which will make the game much much more playable.

I remember in Shenmue II the load times were almost game breaking they were so bad. Even when it was new it was unbearable, I don't know how I got through the entire game. It prevented me from doing alot of exploring, it wasn't fun to go into all the shops and talk to everyone like it should be. Every shop you walked in it would take about 30 seconds to load the interior, you walk in and find there is nothing to do so you turn around and walk out. Another 30 seconds of loading. I hope they fixed other things that made the game really tedious, like it taking around 12 minutes to run the lucky hit stand one time to try and make some money.

I have alot of good memories playing Shenmue I and II. Playing it on my huge 22" CRT monitor with the VGA box, it was awesome. I just hope it hasn't aged too much to still be enjoyable. Back when Shenmue was new there was nothing like it. It was amazing to just walk around town, buy a soda from the machine then walk down to the tomato convenience and shop around. Then go to the arcade and play Space Harrier for a couple hours until it was time to do your next task. With there being so many open world games since then where the world is alot more open and you are free to do so many other things I'm afraid the game will come off as boring. Back when it was new I really enjoyed it a lot but even still I only played through it one time. Even back then it wasn't something I felt would be fun on a second play through. I've played Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II countless times since I first played them new, but Shenmue only once. I feel Shenmue was a game you had to play when it was new to truly experience it how it was meant to be. Like I said games have come so far since then that someone playing it for the first time today won't be as sucked into the games universe as we we're back then.

I'll still probably get the PC version and I'll give it a go and do my best to enjoy it and try to relive the glory days. But I was 12-13 years old when I first played it. I'm 30 now, 17 years have passed since I was 13 years old and finished Shenmue II. With being the game and myself being so much older now, I feel I won't be able to even come close to enjoying it like I did. That is if I'm even able to enjoy it at all :( I hope I'm able to get into it because I really don't remember a ton about it. I remember most of the main parts like everyone else, but there are so many little things and place I'm sure I've completely forgotten. Especially in Shenmue II since it was such a larger game.

Here is a fun fact that will make you feel old. Playing Space Harrier was a fun way to pass the time in Shenmue, well did you know that Space Harrier was only 15 years old when Shenmue came out on the DC in North America. Shenmue is currently 18 years old.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I see...
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Updated PS4 and dug out the DC and my favourite CRT (17”) we know soon if the rereleases are decent!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There's going to be a Shenmue 3 announcement tomorrow.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Delayed again!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's probably more screenshots or a gameplay video.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I’m going with delayed again.

Or that they’ve worked with sega to allow save files to continue on from 2.

But delayed again is more realistic
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Don't think they'd announce that they have an announcement for a delay though.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

couple of reveiws

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Pre-load for 1 & 2 is now available!

Also, Mat's most favourite Youtuber ever Happy Console Gamer! Between him and Metal Jesus, Mat doesn't need anyone else

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Picked up my collection, an included poster and reversable cover were nice touches I had no idea about.

Even though it’s all setup I’ve spent all my energy dealing with car bullshit so too tired to play now, tomorrow it is!
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Like an idiot I preordered the collection so I can play it on my day off Wednesday. At least I got a bit of a discount on it, but I'm curious how far I'll get before regret sinks in.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:Pre-load for 1 & 2 is now available!

Also, Mat's most favourite Youtuber ever Happy Console Gamer! Between him and Metal Jesus, Mat doesn't need anyone else
Thanks for thinking about me during this special time, very happy to see two "hidden gems" get a HD remaster!
I can't get no...

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote:Like an idiot I preordered the collection so I can play it on my day off Wednesday. At least I got a bit of a discount on it, but I'm curious how far I'll get before regret sinks in.
You have to update and let us know. I really want to play it and relive the experience I had with it 17 years ago, but I don't think it is possible. The open world freedom and amazing graphics really sucked me into the world back then. But now in 2018 we have all played tons of open world games that are alot more open with so many more things to do than in Shenmue. While the graphics still look decent to me there obviously is nothing they can do to make them look as amazing as they did back in 2001. I loved walking around killing time and playing games at the arcade. But what was once considered fun and innovative might be considered dull and boring now.

I'll probably still get it for PC and try to play it. But I don't think the experience I had playing it 17 years ago can come close to being replicated.