Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Shenmue release date: August 27, 2019

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Weird thing, I thought I'd pre-ordered from Amazon, it must not have gone through as they were out of stock yesterday. Anyway, Argos have it in stock and it's £8.00 cheaper! I'm picking it up tomorrow. :cow:
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Did a side by side with my Dreamcast.

Despite needing a 200mb day 2 fucking update, with the improved loading times it took the ps4 version about half an hour to catch up.

And being able to move with a joystick and not the d pad was great.

Still though, the game hasn’t needed an update in nearly 20 god damn years and this new one day 2... fucking why?

Make your god damn games properly and release them, no need for update.

Looking forward to playing all 3 on ps4
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So this was unexpected. I have played more Shenmue the last two days than I have in the last 15 years. I far surpassed the farthest point I had ever gotten to prior and I don't want to stop. Somehow this release is actually clicking with me. I think its because I just don't feel as compelled to explore every little corner of the world like I did before. Back then the world just seem so detailed that I would get lost and distracted, ultimately getting stuck on what I was actually supposed to be doing. But now I have no interest in visiting every shop, knocking on every door and looking inside every drawer. That magic is long gone, which is a sad bit of irony that losing the main draw of the game is the reason I am now enjoying it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I've been playing it a fair bit over the last couple of days myself. I'm getting a bunch of broken cutscenes on Steam, however. It started to break pretty far in, I'd already done the first lot of investigating at Warehouse 8. It was when I came back home that the cutscenes would simply show 1 large texture of something in the background (like the background grass) and that's it.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

The broken cutscrnes thing happens on XboxOne, also I didn't realize how "tanky" the controls are. Usually, mapping the d-pad to the control stick works quite well, but with the diagonals being a bit harsh and pulling back basically spins you around. Takes a bit of getting used to.
I can't get no...

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I think the broken cutscenes were fixed for me when I switched from bordless window to full screen. I haven't had any issues since. Not that it helps console players.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

It's happened a couple more times since, I get the texture thing and also a black screen sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the switching between 16:9 to 4:3 that's doing it. I could try just playing in 4:3 but 16:9 is so nice.
I can't get no...

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote:I think the broken cutscenes were fixed for me when I switched from bordless window to full screen. I haven't had any issues since. Not that it helps console players.
When I first loaded up Shenmue on PC it seemed like it was running really slow. I watched the whole intro video and I thought there is no way it is this slow. Then once I finally got control of Ryo it was still horribly slow, I changed setting but nothing helped. I then realized it was in border less window and not fullscreen. Putting it into full screen immediately fixed the speed issues and it runs great. Not sure why window mode would cause it to slow down so much.

As for the game itself, I am actually enjoying it. I'm not very far yet, I've only just gotten to the part where he is looking for sailors. At one point I was supposed to meet a guy around 7pm at the jacket shop. He was already gone when I found out this information so I had to go to sleep and wait until 7pm the next day. I don't enjoy exploring the town and playing Space Harrier as much as I did back in the day so I just had to sit the controller down and walk away until it got close to 7 o'clock. I plan on playing it all the way through, I've only ever played through it once so I'm sure there are tons of parts I've completely forgotten about.

Has anybody finished Shenmue and moved onto Shenmue II yet? I'm actually collecting capsule toys since I know they will be carried over. I had Shenmue II for DC but the save from the USA version wasn't compatible. There was some way to modify your save so it would work but I never messed with it and started Shenmue II with nothing.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’m currently working a job as a forklift driver, which I read was pretty close to the end. My time with Shenmue now is completely different than it was during the Dreamcast days. Back then I never even got as far as finding out where the black car went. Now I’m nearly finished and have been completely hooked. It’s a much better game to me now than it ever was a decade ago.

I would like to just finish up and jump straight into the second one, but I doubt I will since Dragon Quest XI is out. I’ll probably wait until closer to the launch of Shenmue 3.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I managed to finish Shenmue last night, just starting Shenmue II. "thumbsup
I can't get no...

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

melancholy wrote:I’m currently working a job as a forklift driver, which I read was pretty close to the end. My time with Shenmue now is completely different than it was during the Dreamcast days. Back then I never even got as far as finding out where the black car went. Now I’m nearly finished and have been completely hooked. It’s a much better game to me now than it ever was a decade ago.

I would like to just finish up and jump straight into the second one, but I doubt I will since Dragon Quest XI is out. I’ll probably wait until closer to the launch of Shenmue 3.
You didn't lie it back then too? That was always my secret shame on DCE.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

OrangeRibbon wrote:
melancholy wrote:I’m currently working a job as a forklift driver, which I read was pretty close to the end. My time with Shenmue now is completely different than it was during the Dreamcast days. Back then I never even got as far as finding out where the black car went. Now I’m nearly finished and have been completely hooked. It’s a much better game to me now than it ever was a decade ago.

You didn't lie it back then too? That was always my secret shame on DCE.
A search on DCE revealed that I didn’t specifically say either way until many, many years later when I called it complete shit.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So it's done. I have beaten Shenmue. I was extremely sad to leave the city I have grown to love over the last month, and even sadder to find out I couldn't go back to explore anymore before leaving on the boat. I couldn't even feed the cat anymore once I got the forklift job. I read that's where disk 3 started, so I'm guessing they cut most of the Dobuita interactions to make room for all the stuff at the Harbor. Still, I felt a real sense of remorse when Ryo left the house and walked through the neighborhoods. Sigh, I wish I could have enjoyed this game more at launch. It was so wonderful that it finally clicked with me after all these years.

One thing I was super salty about...
(and a big spoiler, in case you are like me and never played until now)
...was near the end of the game when Nozomi got captured, you get to go into town after midnight. You have get to the Harbor by 3am and is supposed to be all tense, but the very first thing that went through my mind was 'holy shit, I can finally see them play Mahjong!' So imagine my surprise when the place was empty and the owner had the same stupid dialog of 'I'm really tired from playing Mahjong all night last night.' I wanted to play Mahjong, or at very least see people playing it damnit!

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

Play the sequel now, it has much larger environments to explore.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

New updates out today, fixes the cut scenes and various other bugs..
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Matisfaction wrote:New updates out today, fixes the cut scenes and various other bugs..
As relevant now as is was Day 2:
ian wrote:.. fucking why?

Make your god damn games properly and release them, no need for update.
I still haven't played much, but I'll wait 20 years and maybe 20 years of updates will make it play properly.
-Two Interactive.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Shenmue II was something like a 2GB update. :rolleyes:
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Matisfaction wrote:Shenmue II was something like a 2GB update. :rolleyes:
:oshocked: :oshocked: so basically HALF the total size the original game was?
-Two Interactive.