Prince dies aged 57

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Prince dies aged 57

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:That song is how you can tell who is a real Prince fan. Real Prince fans immediately thought of Sometimes It Snows In April when he died, casual fans brought up Purple Rain 10 billion times.

But Parade didn't sell well in America (although it was a big hit in Europe) and it got some negative reviews by dumbasses. But it's a record for the real fans who want more than the pop hits.

And D'Angelo is the only modern R&B musician who comes close to Prince. He's not nearly as prolific (3 albums in 21 years), but they're all masterpieces and he makes a song in any genre he wants. And he probably has the best studio band in music.
Yea, definitely. I'm all for casual fans buying the Hits & B-Sides/Very best of's/Essential type collections but like when David Bowie passed and Michael you get all the casual fans out who are the biggest fans ever. Who just think Prince is all about Purple Rain & 1999. Some of my favorite Prince songs are the more obscure ones - "Do U Lie?" from Parade, All my Dreams, Moonbeam Levels, Xtralovable, She's Always in My Hair, 17 Days, How Come U Don't Call me Anymore, Let's Work, Train, Sometimes it Snows in April, Glam Slam, I Wish U Heaven, Scandalous, She Loves Me 4 Me, the list goes on & on - plus the more mainstream songs too - Purple Rain, 1999, Sign O The Times, U Got the Look, Raspberry Beret, Little Red Corvette et al. What I think made Prince so great was he explored every musical avenue he could and was dedicated to making music. The vault is full of his life's work and I'm hoping they don't destroy everything as I have a feeling he wouldn't want the music released to the public as it's not up to his high standards. There's a few names floating around who fans want to be the curators of the Vault - Susan Rogers, Wendy & Lisa and the other Revolution members, Jimmy Jam's thrown his hat into the ring too. Personally I'd like to see them all involved - Morris, Jerome, Jam & Lewis, Wendy & Lisa, Dr Fink, Bobby Z, Dez, Susan Rogers et al and have the Revolution work on their era of the music and get the NPG era to work with their era of material too. I don't want Timbaland, Mark Ronson, the Neptunes, Dr Dre et al to touch anything or remix them for the mainstream. Only outside "hit" producers I'd like to see involved with the Vault material for remixes/etc are Shock G & DJ Quik, maybe Teddy Riley too at a push. I'd also like to see D'Angelo involved maybe they do a Prince & Friends type set where they get Chuck D, D'Angelo, The Time, Rosie Gaines et al work with some of the incomplete unreleased tracks and create a new project out of the fragments of unfinished songs. Plus D'Angelo working with the Revolution on a tour and album in tribute to Prince would be very fitting and I'm a fan of D's too, his Brown Sugar album started the whole Neo-Soul trend of the mid 90's and he also has a history with Prince and covered "She's Always in my Hair" on his Live at the Jazz Cafe CD too.
Yeah, Maya Rudolph was a singer before she went to SNL. She was in The Rentals with ex-Weezer bassist Matt Sharp on their second record Seven More Minutes (another good record that bombed in America but did well in Europe. It was way better than Weezer's third record.)
Her mom was and still is a phenomenally talented singer., so yea it explains it she was a singer before SNL. Minnie Riperton's big hit was of course "Loving You" (her Purple Rain if you will) but there's a ton of good to great songs in her discography too, one of my favorite's of Minnie's is "Memory Lane" and a duet she did with MJ called "I'm in Love".

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Prince Dominates Music Sales In Australia

Prince has dominated music sales in Australia this week much like the impact David Bowie’s death had on fans back in January.

18 Prince have populated this week’s Australian album chart. Prince has four albums in the Top 10 at positions 2, 4, 5 and 6. Three of those albums are greatest hits. His biggest selling catalogue album was ‘Purple Rain’ at no 5.

Australian fans mirrored the buying habits of the US and UK fans with ‘Purple Rain’ and ‘Sign O The Times’ the two biggest catalogue albums.

Prince fans also bought individual tracks. This week he has seven songs in the Top 40 starting with ‘Purple Rain’ at no 3.

Prince’s chart impact is in part due to the fact that he did not allow his videos on YouTube. Fans who did not already own his songs had to buy them because they couldn’t stream the videos.

Prince songs in the Singles chart are:

3 Purple Rain
11 When Doves Cry
22 Little Red Corvette
27 Kiss
28 1999
30 Cream
31 Raspberry Beret
50 Diamonds and Pearls
52 Lets Go Crazy
89 Controversy
106 I Wanna Be Your Lover
112 Nothing Compares 2U
117 I Would Die 4U
148 Money Don’t Matter 2 Night
150 Sign O The Times

Prince albums in the chart are:

2 The Very Best of Prince
4 The Hits / The B Sides
5 Purple Rain
6 Ultimate
20 Sign O The Times
22 Diamonds and Pearls
25 HITNRUN Phase One
40 The Hits 1
55 Art Official Age
82 Around The World In A Day
90 Love Symbol
98 Parade
107 Controversy
117 HITNRUN Phase Two
125 Lovesexy
133 Dirty Mind
142 Prince
154 Graffiti Bridge

Source: Noise11

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Absolutely fucking amazing tribute by Springsteen.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I wonder if the people that still buy these mags have heard of the internet?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I think there will always be a market for gossip mags since we live in a worldwide celebrity obsessed culture. Plus they are just speculating right now with their headlines as until autopsy results are released no one knows what happened to Prince. The whole thing comes across as unbelievable and there is so many unanswered questions. Was there someone at Paisley Park with him, who found him in the elevator, how long was he there, was there any sign of trauma, did they really find prescription drugs with him, did he really have Aids?, the questions go on and on. Just like the MJ passing things don't ring true and I'm wondering whether there's a shady Dr Murray type involved in all of this. Considering he was a clean living vegan, religious and seeming in good health he didn't seem to show any outwards signs of addiction so yea, this doesn't seem to make much sense.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

We’re two and a half weeks past the death of Prince, which is apparently the amount of time it takes someone to make the mistake of asking noted asshole Gene Simmons what he thinks about any given bit of musical news. That someone, in this case, being Newsweek, which ran an interview today with the aging rock lizard, in which he weighed in on the recent spate of celebrity deaths, declaring Prince’s “pathetic”—because if anybody knows about being pathetic, it’s presumably Gene Simmons.

Referring to the spate of high-profile deaths that have repeatedly passed him over, Simmons said, “Bowie was the most tragic of all because it was real sickness. All the other ones were a choice,” he added, saying of Prince’s death, “His drugs killed him. What do you think, he died from a cold?”

After horking up that meaty glob of rhetorical slime, Simmons went on to heap praise on the Minnesota-based musician, calling him, “Heads, hands and feet above all the rest of them. I thought he left [Michael] Jackson in the dust,” and recounting a story about a time that the two of them (and Simmons’ then-girlfriend, Diana Ross) met. But then he swerved back into Gene Simmons territory, saying, “Prince was way beyond that. But how pathetic that he killed himself. Don’t kid yourself, that’s what he did.”

Condemnation aside, Simmons did say he thought Prince’s death will probably be good for the artist’s long-term reputation, because Gene Simmons doesn’t see people, only their personal marketing brands. “Your legacy becomes even bigger, you become more iconic, if you die before your time—Marilyn Monroe, Elvis and all that,” he said, before, declaring that he won’t receive similar benefits, as the moment for Gene Simmons to be loaded into his own KISS coffin “before his time” has long since passed. “At some point my hair and teeth are gonna fall out, at some point you’ll see pathetic Gene Simmons at 80 years old with a colostomy bag and a wheelchair,” he said, conjuring one stomach-turning image before leaning hard into an even grosser one: “I’ll grant you, it’ll be a studded wheelchair, and I’ll have a hot nurse wheeling me around. But at that point the imagery doesn’t connect with young Elvis or Marilyn Monroe.” Which suggests, amazingly, that Gene Simmons thinks there was a time in his career when such a connection could have been conceivably drawn.
His trolling doesn't even make sense. Bowie more than likely had cancer because he smoked cigarettes for decades. What's the difference between that and building up a pill tolerance until it becomes toxic? And even if he didn't, it's not like he was a stranger to drugs. He was coked out of his mind for many years. He and Iggy Pop moved to Berlin to try to get off of drugs, and didn't realize that city was the drug capital of Europe so their addictions got worse than when they were living in England and America respectively.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I like Kiss, but Gene Simmons is a weird cat. I've read like two of his books too and he comes across as very full of himself, yet on the other hand humble too so he's a bit of a contradiction in a lot of ways himself. But I think he's since apologized now.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

News filtering out now that Prince passed due to a opiod overdose. :(

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Fentanyl... very strong, supposedly 100x stronger than heroin. Apparently heroin has disappeared from the streets in the larger cities of Canada, and is now just cut fentanyl. LOTS of overdoses happening. Then there's W18 which is 100x stronger than fentanyl.

If someone had a working brain, they'd almost figure that decriminalizing or legalizing the original drugs might save more lives.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

If someone had a working brain, they'd almost figure that decriminalizing or legalizing the original drugs might save more lives.
That's what has caused the heroin boom America has been going through the past few years. Doctors are afraid of getting their licenses revoked if someone thinks they're over-prescribing, or getting sued if someone ODs, and patients (even those that are in legitimate chronic pain and desperately need it) are being told they can't have it anymore and are going out and buying dope. So now heroin is easier to get than ever, especially on the east coast. It just doesn't make any sense. You want to "protect people" by not giving them pills, then they go and get something even more dangerous. At least legalize marijuana so people can have a pain management they can't die from if that's your goal.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

If marijuana was prescribed for pain relief it would put most pharmaceutical companies noses out of joint because it would hit their bottom line. The goal really is for a patient with a chronic pain condition is to reduce and or eliminate that pain as much as possible. When exercise, meditation, yoga et AL doesn't work the only option is prescription pain medication. Then you get accustomed to the dosage so you up it higher and higher until you become dependent upon it to function. A prescription drug addiction is just as or even more damaging than a recreational one because you have free access to the medication you need with a prescription and don't need to score on the streets. Doctors limiting prescription meds to patients is a double edged sword. You don't want folks hooked on harder drugs either yet if someone ODs then the finger is pointing at the doctor who are only doing their job. It's a very troubling situation and one which is not exclusive to any country. The only real answer is to create non addictive powerful pain killers but that's easier said than done. Or legalise marijuana for medical purposes worldwide and administer it in tablet or liquid form. It's ironic that alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are legal yet a drug that could benefit millions isn't. But even then there's the naysayers who say it's bad and causes mental health issues and such. So until they fix this it's a medical catastrophy waiting to happen.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The only real answer is to create non addictive powerful pain killers but that's easier said than done.
It seems the FDA isn't interested in anything but implants that give the medicine on a schedule since that's all they looked into.
It's ironic that alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are legal yet a drug that could benefit millions isn't. But even then there's the naysayers who say it's bad and causes mental health issues and such. So until they fix this it's a medical catastrophy waiting to happen.
It's all about tax dollars. Cigarette and alcohol companies banded together to make lobbying groups to give the government money and there was never the same thing for marijuana because anybody can grow it so you wouldn't need a Anheuser Busch or Phillip Morris company to make marijuana for you, because you don't need to brew hops or process tobacco. So if marijuana were legal people would just grow it in their garden for cheap since it's so easy to just grow a plant and dry the buds, any idiot can do that. Hell, I grew weed over a decade ago and I can't even grow a good tomato.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's true about tax dollars etc, hence why pharmaceutical companies et AL will block it's legalisation because like you say if it's legalised anybody can grow it. But again if they do legalise marijuana they will tightly control it and pharma companies will make it and will no doubt make making it illegal, despite if it becomes a legal drug. Like it's used sometimes for Glaucoma, you need to make it available for pain relief. From what I've read heard over the years its effective in pain management and for other health issues too. Yet unless somebody profits from it and it generates tax dollars it'll never happen and the vicious circle goes on & on.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »