PlayStation Classic Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: PlayStation Classic Thread

Post by ian »

The games I picked out were way better.

Gran Turismo is more of a Playstation classic than Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six, Not seeing a gran Turismo...
And seriously, Rayman... Not a single crash, spyro or wipeout game, but rayman...
They're fucking up.

If they can be modded, I will pick one up cheap and put some ACTUAL classic playstation games on it.

If they can't be modded, what's the point?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Rayman is great, I'm glad it's on it.

The licensing of cars in Gran Turismo would have cost too much.

The licensing of music in Wipeout would have cost too much.

Crash & Spyro both have remakes out.

The Playstation had a huge amount of good games released for it and there's a limit to what games they can get for it, so they were never going to be able to make everybody happy.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

If the decent games cost too much to licence, it may have justified the $150

Seems like the consensus is that no one wants it, so they’ve made fuck all people happy apparently.

Eb and jb both said pre-order now, it will sell out. Both still have pre orders open... think that happened with the nes and snes... ahaha nope.

Clearance bin under $100 in 3 months.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's sold out at EB.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Must have been recently. They were still taking orders on Monday.

I went into eb hoping for some tat, online said the wipeout tat I wanted was in store and the preorders were active then.

In store it was horrible, more tat than games, and they didn’t have the only bit of tat I wanted. :(
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Previews are out for it. Most of them are saying it does it's job OK but it's a bit underwhelming. No filters either.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I read Kotaku's article, which reveals this system to be worse than we previously thought. Here's just a few of the biggest takeaways from it:
Kotaku wrote:There are no special screen borders or graphic display options. There’s a screensaver option that will dim the screen after a few minutes. Even the game selection menu itself is strictly utilitarian; there’s no nostalgic theme song or other cute additions.
All of these omissions are just signs that Sony didn't put any work into this console. The lack of any kind of filtering or display options is a huge misstep.
Kotaku wrote:You only get one slot for each game. When you press Reset, your game will be automatically saved in that slot. Start the game up, play some more, and press Reset again, and you won’t be offered a second slot to save in. You’ll just be asked if you want to overwrite the game saved in that one slot.
Not a huge deal as long as you are saving to the memory card too, but still disappointing that you only get one.
Kotaku wrote:Oddly, many of the games on the PlayStation Classic were the European versions. When I booted up Final Fantasy VII, for example, I got the classic “Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment of America” splash screen. But when I ran Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, or Tekken 3, the screen said “Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.”
Seriously, they can't even install games from the proper regions? It's not like they are hard to track down considering they all exist on PSN. Did they even put any work into this?
Kotaku wrote:A listing of licenses for open-source software accessible in the PlayStation Classic’s menu said that it uses the open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX ReARMed.
The most damning piece of info, this thing is using an open source emulator to run the games. An emulator, mind you, with a lot of features that Sony purposely turned off when making the PS Classic. You are literally getting the worst port of software that can be run on a number of other devices much better. At least if PS Classic gets hacked, we will know exactly what games will run on it.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Remember Sonys war on the likes of Bleem? how times change (kinda)

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I ended up cancelling my pre-order. I was fine with the game list (although it could be better), fine with the emulator, the thing that bothered me was the lack of filtering. I'll get one when it's been hacked, had filters added and is cheaper.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

You know you done fucked up when even Zoidberg won’t buy your product. That guy buys anything.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yep, I love these things but this one is a little too shitty, although the case still looks awesome. If it could have had it's firmware officially upgraded I would have stuck with it. The C64 one was fairly rough when it was released but has gotten a lot better after the firmware upgrades.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm You know you done fucked up when even Zoidberg won’t buy your product. That guy buys anything.

:rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Someone else has cancelled their preorder...

Coolboarders 2 was really good back in the day, I would have played it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

He was probably annoyed at the lack of hidden gems.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:olol:

He'll do a hidden gem video a few years from now and the PS Classic will be in it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

:olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I’m surprised he mentioned wipeout. I thought that was a hidden gem?
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So here's a crazy thing I just realized. I took the 20 titles announced for the PSClassic and compared them to the list of games that got a Greatest Hits re-release. As we know, the Greatest Hits titles were games that sold over 250,000 copies, meaning they represented the most popular games for the Playstation back in the day. There were 175 Greatest Hits titles in total. Wanna know how many of the games on the PSClassic are on the Greatest Hits list?

13. That means 7 games weren't even best sellers for the console. Not to say that every game had to be a Greatest Hit, but 1/3 of the list not even being best sellers means you left a LOT of better games off the table. Why Persona over Legend of Dragoon? Ridge Racer 4 over Gran Turismo? Wild Arms over Xenogears? It's just an insane decision.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:20 pm So here's a crazy thing I just realized. I took the 20 titles announced for the PSClassic and compared them to the list of games that got a Greatest Hits re-release. As we know, the Greatest Hits titles were games that sold over 250,000 copies, meaning they represented the most popular games for the Playstation back in the day. There were 175 Greatest Hits titles in total. Wanna know how many of the games on the PSClassic are on the Greatest Hits list?

13. That means 7 games weren't even best sellers for the console. Not to say that every game had to be a Greatest Hit, but 1/3 of the list not even being best sellers means you left a LOT of better games off the table. Why Persona over Legend of Dragoon? Ridge Racer 4 over Gran Turismo? Wild Arms over Xenogears? It's just an insane decision.
I would guess licensing as one of the deciding factors. I'm betting Gran Turismo would be a nightmare with all the car licenses, etc.