Nintendo General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo General Thread

Post by Hawq »

counts as PC really as well I guess

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

And yet...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Steam version was never rated in Australia.

They think it will get the same treatment Hotline Miami 2 got.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:08 am
The rumor mill on Reddit believes that it took a year for this to come out because Hulu bought a year of exclusivity on the Switch. This and Netflix will be really nice to have.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Enjoying my switch.

Got 2 games to start me off till smash brothers.

As you all know there’s only ever been one playable Zelda game in my eyes. Links awakening of course. Well now there’s 2 because breath of the wild kept me playing for 5 hours solid. And I’ll probably keep playing it for a bit to come.. if it was a home console game it would be shit.. but it’s a handheld game, so great.. and best part is, I put the game in and it didn’t need an update..
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Breath of the wild has taught me a lesson I've already known.. Never love anything! I've had 3 horses.. 1 vanished for no reason, one got stuck on some rocks and I couldn't get it out after 2 hours, and one fell off a cliff into some water...

I was thoroughly enjoying the game. BUT then there was a shrine where you had to tilt the switch to roll a ball like one of those Labyrinth puzzles... THE FUCKING LAG and the 40+ minutes trying to pass it ALMOST ruined the whole game..
If you want to put a Labyrinth puzzle in MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING LAG TO THE FUCKING INPUT... RARRRHHHHHH!!!!
I am really good at those puzzles IRL.. I have a steady hand, and patience enough to do even the hardest of them... Even with wood or plastic that has variants and imperfections and dips/rises... so if it has even 1/1000th of a second of lag means they SHOULDN'T HAVE PUT THE FUCKING THING IN THE GAME...
SERIOUSLY.. the lag is like half to 3 quarters of a fucking second...

I'll spend 2 hours trying to save my horse and feel sad that it can't be done.. But after 40 minutes of doing a fucking stupid laggy tilt puzzle that's there for the gimmick of just having "motion controls" I was about ready to throw in the towel, then passed it by a fluke.. I tipped the whole board upside down and made a potshot and it went in lmao...
I promptly cheered myself up by more archery on horses..

Also fishing seems easier... I remember in links awakening, you had to pay some rubies, then got like a mini game where you cast off and tried to catch the big fish to make money.. In this you just wander into some water and hit A to grab a fish next to you... WTF.. FISHING DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!!!
Also in this game, it appears as if you can't just pick up an item and leg it when the shop keeper isn't looking. That was the best part of Links awakening... STEALING SHIT!
Also in this game, I am happy that Punting chickens too many times mean they call on more to attack you.. 10/10

These aspects may have been present in other Zelda games (I know for a fact that horses and fishing have been in other games) But this feels more like the only Zelda game that was ever any good!

The only other problem with the system, and thus any game I play is me... After 2+ decades of A being at the bottom, B being above to the right, X above to the left, and Y at the top... It's taking some time to get used to the way of having A,B, X and Y in the wrong fucking place...
I know the SNES had them this way... But gaming has come a LONG way since then.. and Sega, Microsoft and even Sony with stupid symbles accept that A/cross/OK/GO/YES is the bottom most button on the controller..

The last Nintendo system I owned that used this Stupid way of the buttons was the SNES.. The 64 had A and B mixed up because of the C buttons but A was at the bottom, and it made sense... The gamecube had a massive A button, and that made sense too..
A should be at the fucking bottom, B should be above and to the right, X should be above and to the left.. and Y should be at the top...

Nintendo didn't invent video games, And haven't perfected them... SO ADAPT TO THE FUCKING INDUSTRY STANDARD OF PUTTING BUTTONS IN THE RIGHT GOD DAMN PLACE!!! Even Sony wanted X to mean no, and O to mean yes... But they adapted, and now X means yes...
Prime example of how how Nintendo is getting it wrong.. B is accelerate in SNES Mario kart..
SO JUST MAKE A accelerate and put the button where it belongs... After getting used to this backwards ass control scheme it's gonna be a pain going back to Xbox, playstation and PC..
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I can’t tell if you like Breath of the Wild or not. I still haven’t played it despite owning a Switch since launch.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Overall I am liking it, it’s been a mostly fun experience and even when it frustrates the shit out of me the payoff is decent.

But tonight I think I’ve gone too fast. Did the first major major mission easily, gone to do the second and just get my ass handed to me..

Happy to report tilt thing has only been back once and it was optional.

I am liking the exploring and most of the combat.
The puzzles seem to have the learning curve of a cliff though. one puzzle roll a ball into a hole to unlock door... next minute go to this platform then spin level 90 degrees, then use magnets then spin back 45 degrees, walk through door then spin platform 180 degrees, shoot thing with arrow then repeat with 2 more platforms...

Jesus Christ, I just spent 2 seconds on a puzzle and then the very next one takes 2 hours to work this shit out? Wtf?

Happily there was a mission that wanted stealth and I was able to brute force my way through it.
Sneaking past guards sucks in any game. fortunately botw let me shoot the fuck out of the guards with bomb arrows. :D

In short, I like the game but there’s been a couple of “oh come on” moments that really don’t need to be there.
Not as good as links awakening, better than every other Zelda game because I’m still playing it.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Be sure to enjoy the game throughout, because there isn't any payoff at the end.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:39 am Be sure to enjoy the game throughout, because there isn't any payoff at the end.
Yes I am enjoying it. Doing more side quests than I do in most RPGS or platformers.
It’s actually an enjoyable world (aside from the desert which is a little too much Jak 3 which I’ve played the crap out of)

My frustration tipping point (spoiler alert for mel)
Spoiler
the guardians.. the bird, the gecko, and the elephant were all about what I was expecting, bit of a thinker for a few minutes then a decent fight at the end, then we get to the camel... 2 hours trying to work out what the fuck to do before I gave up and looked it up online and then the resulting battle with the Ganon minion. Fuck me that fight is fucking infuriatingly difficult... so I’m grinding away so I can hopefully one shot the fucker I assume I’m close to the end of the story, but am stretching it out till smash brothers.

FUCK YOU CAMEL!
Genuinely enjoying it aside from that.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I keep forgetting that Switch NES collection exists. I have yet to even open that app.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:41 pm I keep forgetting that Switch NES collection exists. I have yet to even open that app.
I hope they don't do anything funky like remove games or make us pay. It is nice to play short bursts of retro games while watching TV.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:12 pm
pixel wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:39 am Be sure to enjoy the game throughout, because there isn't any payoff at the end.
My frustration tipping point (spoiler alert for mel)
Spoiler
the guardians.. the bird, the gecko, and the elephant were all about what I was expecting, bit of a thinker for a few minutes then a decent fight at the end, then we get to the camel... 2 hours trying to work out what the fuck to do before I gave up and looked it up online and then the resulting battle with the Ganon minion. Fuck me that fight is fucking infuriatingly difficult... so I’m grinding away so I can hopefully one shot the fucker I assume I’m close to the end of the story, but am stretching it out till smash brothers.

FUCK YOU CAMEL!
Yeah, that part didn't feel super intuitive :) I felt like I blitzed through the game and didn't really enjoy it. It doesn't help that all four Guardians turn the last battle into a cakewalk.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I’m actually doing a bunch of side quests and grinding atm..

Could go fight ganon any time, but I’m having so much fun exploring the world I feel like the fight will let me down, which is a shame because exploring hyrule castle is genuinely the most amazing thing since gta 5.

It does piss me off that the random mobs pop up when I explore at night..
I can one shot you with a stick, fuck off and let me explore!!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »