Music documentaries/videos/concert topic

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Music documentaries/videos/concert topic

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

This episode of American Gangster talks about his murder

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks I'll check that out.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Interestingly on the UK airings of the Jacksons American Dream the fight with one of Boyz II Men is edited out.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Stevie @ the Beatclub.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

At 21:35 on the Ghost Riding The Whip documentary when they ghost ride the school bus :rofl2:

I'll never understand why Mac Dre wasn't a superstar. He was so fun. Like at the time Jay-Z, Clipse, Eminem and Kanye put out good records, but they weren't fun because they were pretty self-serious. Hyphy was all about having a good time like 80s rap. And it wasn't lame like Nelly.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea I don't know why Mac wasn't a bigger star. I guess because he was self releasing his music on his own label and not signed to a major. Plus his music was regional based in the Bay Area. He had issues with the law, some of his album vocals are recorded from jail, but that shouldn't have prevented him being bigger. E40 has talked about how majors were interested in Hyphy artists but this was after Mac had passed unfortunately though. So the interest level was there and I think Mac Dre would have definitely been a break out star of the genre. Hyphy is entertaining, I think it's back to being just a regional thing now though in Oakland & the Bay. Digital Underground was sorta Hyphy too if you think about it where they made like uptempo type Hip Hop.

Interesting interview with his Mom here:

https://allhiphop.com/features/happy-bi ... 0Sn-BqZ_g/

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Hyphy went mainstream in 2006 and was done by 2007. So yeah its been regional for over a decade. It's kind of like Houston. DJ Screw was a genius and died a few years before Houston had their moment for a few years, but it wasn't the same since the guy who started it all was gone.

People always ignored Northern California after the 90s. There's so many underrated rappers from the Bay Area. I used to read Murder Dog magazine which was based out of Vallejo so they always put over Bay rappers.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Really good article here about the Hyphy music scene

https://www.complex.com/music/2016/06/h ... al-history

I think had Mac being alive leading the way it would have stayed mainstream longer. But with certain genres the public can be fickle about them. Plus outside of E40 there wasn't a face to associate with the music. Only him and the Federation got major label deals too so promotion would be limited. I think say Mac Dre signed to a major he'd have put everyone else on so your running with a team instead of a few. So to really had made the movement established you needed Mac, E40, The Federation, Keak da Sneak, The Jacka et al all putting out records. Plus have them guest on other rappers mix tapes etc to introduce them to a wider audience. Also I think Hyphy was a much more regional thing which is exclusive to the Bay. Like certain areas prefer certain types of Hip Hop. Like G-Funk in Cali for example. A lot of music you have to seek out yourself as most radio playlists are set in stone to play pop acts, same applies to MTV etc. Here I vaguely recall seeing Grime videos on a Satellite music channel years before it became more mainstream. Wiley and Dizzee helped put the genre on and I definitely believe if Mac Dre were alive in 06 then he'd have done the same with Hyphy and put his friends on too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

And the word is the guy who shot up the van Mac Dre was in thought it was someone else, so Fat Tone didn't do it and he was murdered for nothing. It's a sad story. And Jacka was murdered when he was hit by a stray bullet in a drive by a few years ago.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it is sad, in both cases. Story is The Jacka had no known enemies and was in a Van making music with his crew. I think he was outside when the stray bullet hit him. Their murders are still both unsolved to my knowledge. It's weird they sorta died in similar circumstances too. Maybe it was someone who was jealous of their success and wanted in on it. But both were about helping folks out so that makes no sense why they were murdered.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/R ... 52501.html

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Documentary by Johnny Cash, features him narrating and his music.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Frank Zappa - Does Humour Belong in Music? (Concert)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Really good doc this about Primal Scream. The Memphis tapes album is out now to buy/stream

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'll check it out. The Memphis Tapes are better than GOBDGU but it's still not a very good album for them. Doing a retro sound wasn't for them. They came off like the Black Crowes instead of the forward thinking band they always were. But all of that generation of UK bands (them, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Teenage Fanclub, Charlatans) put out weak follow ups around that time period. And Blur, Suede and Ned's Atomic Dustbin made really good follow ups but people didn't like them for some reason and they flopped despite Modern Life Is Rubbish, Dog Man Star and brainbloodvolume being good.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea I definitely recommend it. Coming off Screamadelica they really needed a great selection of tracks to surpass them. It was more of a House/Acid House album too and there's some soulful type influences there. I guess them going to Memphis they wanted to recreate that Stax and Hi Records sound. Another Scottish band Wet Wet Wet did an album in Memphis too. Plus there's that Northern Soul scene which was no doubt an influence. I think with groups such as those you mentioned they are sort of stuck in a groove being labelled as indie. So anything outside of that realm takes them out of their lane. I think when bands expand on their musical influences it can work but sometimes it sets them backwards.

Like Queen with Hot Space. Freddie wanted to make a Disco/Soul record but they were seen as the Glam Rock/Rock group. So again they are typecast so to speak. Unless you're a David Bowie, Prince type of artist who can switch musical genres where your sorta exempt from the music rules. I also think it's better for an artist/group to use their influences and make something new but paying homage to a certain sound has put a lot of artists on. Plus back in the day you had The Beatles covering Motown songs, The Stones with the Blues etc. Had The Beatles just put out skiffle songs I doubt they'd have had anywhere near the same impact they did.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Lemmy movie

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Stones Throw - Our Vinyl Weighs A Ton

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod