Life after doing 40 years in prison

Post by Big Boss Man »

Update video:

Cool they helped Danny out. They also helped out a lady called Shannon too

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Life after doing 40 years in prison

Post by Big Boss Man »

They set up a go fund me for Danny and have really helped him out.

He's doing roofing as a job but he's 59 years old and has had accidents on his moped etc. Really the APS guys need to hook him up to be part of the show with his own YouTube channel and I think him doing speeches at schools, colleges, at prisons etc to tell his story would help a lot of people out. He said he doesn't want to write a book but I believe it would be a big seller because he has such an interesting story. Even better though he's turned his life around in a matter of months which is really cool to see.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He's a young looking 59.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea doesn't look his age at all. APS put up a new video today where he talks about his sentencing. He got 35 years and served 24 first time around and did 16/17 the next, so 40 years total. Really messed up thing they didn't have any real solid evidence on him but he still got convicted. Which sadly I think other people have got a similar type situation too. Got locked up in one of the most violent jails in the US at that time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massach ... r_Junction

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, the US criminal system is beyond fucked up. Not as bad as Brazil or China, but still very bad. But due to the boom in true crime documentaries people have really woken up to the fact of how shady detectives and prosecutors are. I would hope at this point everyone knows to ask for a lawyer before being interrogated. Before there was just a belief from most people that they're the good guys so they'd never lie to get a conviction. So hopefully public pressure will mount to change the way cops force confessions out of people with tricks and prosecutors withholding evidence from the defendants. I think people are at the point now that they don't want underhanded tactics used even on a person that's clearly guilty, because one day it might be you, a relative or your friend in that position and you/they might not be guilty.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea Danny talks about how his lawyer screwed him over and actually got him convicted. I do think the prison system worldwide needs a reform. A lot of crime is committed for means of survival and if there were more job opportunities, ways to progress etc then the offending rate would go down. Plus you have kids growing up without their Pops who might be locked up so without the male parental influence that causes issues too and the Sons often follow suit. So if those issues are remedied then I also think it would have a positive knock on affect. I also believe that cases need to be judged on their own individual basis. If someone is a genuine threat to society then you have to factor in whether they can be rehabilitated. Some criminals have underlying serious mental health issues and are those aren't addressed, they then are taken advantage of and put in a place that doesn't help them and makes them worse.

Plus you have folks who are homeless who commit crime(s) so they get a place to say and regular meals. Saw a doc here about a guy in Scotland I believe who was homeless and did just that (things like shoplifting etc) and once he was free the cycle continued. That's fixable by giving people a place to stay etc but like Danny has said he spent a month with the Salvation Army and had to wait three months to go back. The whole system is broke since there's not enough jobs, homes etc for everybody. You therefore get a revolving door scenario where people keep reoffending and see longer sentences. Which is wrong since if they had opportunities they wouldn't have to go to prison just to get food & shelter.

But as long as prisons get grants and funding then the whole system will sadly continue to go on. I think it's also designed to fail those in its custody which is why you get folks who rebel and receive longer sentences or added time to their sentence for standing up for themselves if a CO intentionally infuriates them. Until those in power really care though nothing will change. It's good shows are showing the corruption and misuse of power going down but the general population needs to make a stand and say enough is enough.

You got folks in prison right now on BS sentences for minor offences. The three strike rule of 25 to life is especially messed up. That sort of time should be for really serious crime(s) only. Plus I'd have like a way for them to contribute positively to the community as you have folks broke down emotionally, mentally and physically who can't adjust when they come out. So they commit a crime and go back in because that's all they know. Which is a really messed situation and one which really need fixing.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It would take a person much smarter than I am to come up with the solution. But investing in jobs in places like Chicago (like Common recruiting manufacturing plants to come in) and decriminalizing drugs are two key things that have to happen.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's a great point, you need to create more jobs and decriminalise drugs. Plus give prisoners who come out the chance to turn their life's around. Sadly the re-offending rate is very high as if you're stuck in an environment where you have to act a certain way it takes a long time to adjust to society. So if there's no support system on the outside they have no where to go and no assistance so their only option really is to go back in.

They really need to rethink the entire system in detail, but whilst prisons are getting government funding and grants etc then it will keep on as is. You need people in power who want to make positive changes and have a system that does work & both help prisoners from stop offending and reduce the prison population by stopping locking people up in the first place for minor crime(s) that community service etc could be a fair sentence.

Seems a reform bill is being suggested

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 276098002/

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... 211141002/

Interesting article about reoffending

https://www.texasobserver.org/when-pris ... -goes-bad/

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Some more newer videos with Danny