Microsoft Games General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft Games General Thread

Post by Hawq »

Microsoft’s latest patent redesigns the Xbox controller, hinting at next-gen technology

It’s a little late in the day for Microsoft to be thinking of revisions given that a pair of next-generation consoles are reportedly on the horizon, but that hasn’t stopped the company from capping off its 2018 by receiving the go-ahead on two controller patents. Despite the imagery showcasing the familiar Xbox One controller, it’s possible that this is our first indication of what to expect in Anaconda and Lockhart.

The patents were filed way back in June 2017, credited to inventors Aaron Schmitz, Gabriel Michael Rask Gassoway and one patent adding in Jonathan Shea Robinson. As usual for a technological patent, the filing is filled with jargon and terminology suited to cover all legal stances but seems to primarily pertain to the triggers found on the back of the Xbox One controller and the accuracy of their mechanical tension.

The patent describes a new motor system within each trigger, which can be used for different levels of force feedback (rumble), and a clutch system, which can be used for trigger locks, or to protect the triggers should the controller be dropped or roughly handled.

Given that the Xbox One Elite controller currently holds “flagship” status for Microsoft’s variety of pads in the wild, the use of the standard Xbox One controller makes me question whether or not this is simply a placeholder for the revised trigger technology. Any redesign hitting the standard controller is sure to come to the Elite variant. However, the chances of a redesigned Xbox One controller coming out now seems slim given that we are on the cusp of next-gen consoles.

It seems likely that these new controller patents are laying the groundwork for what we will see in a next-gen Xbox controller. The Xbox One controller already made a number of improvements over the Xbox 360 controller- which is one of the most popular gamepads of all time. With that in mind, further improvements may well end up being under the hood, as this patent describes, rather than a complete design change.

KitGuru Says: Microsoft could just surprise everyone with the release of a new Xbox One controller but I can’t see enhanced triggers being enough to entice purchases, especially with next-gen consoles heavily expected in 2020. If Microsoft brought out a new controller this year, would you buy one?
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

US only for now.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Holy shit, a 360 game I actually own has BC now (Fuel). Now a tenth of my 360 library will work on my XBOne.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dunno if anyone has any ideas to fix this but the 360 S I'm currently used/testing for the charity shop I work in has today started not signing in to the account I set up for testing giving me a 'service alert' message when I test the connection, it goes through all the steps looking fine at first then this error shows up. I'm at a loss here as some things seen with a quick look suggest a certain CoD can cause it but I dont even have that (pretty sure the drive has no saves from it on any of the existing profiles eaither, it was from the spare 360 I got a while back) & have only used the Lego Movie demo (when it was connecting to test downloads) RDR & Hexic, anyone know whats going on & how to sort it or am I kinda stuffed now with it?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Does it have a number or code with the service alert?

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

nope just shows an orange 'service alert' message when tested, still fine in offline mode but irritating for anything that may need updates obviously

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

And now I can see an error code 8015D000

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 am error code 8015D000
https://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-360 ... e-8015d000

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Bloodstained & Bomberman "thumbsup
I can't get no...

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

bit of a kick in the nuts for anyone that got Bomberman at xmas though

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Also, anyone who picked up the majority of the AC games over the years.
I can't get no...

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Matisfaction wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 am Also, anyone who picked up the majority of the AC games over the years.
I swear I must own basically all the AC games through Games With Gold. Same with GoW

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

forgot the crackdown thread, moving it to there instead

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am
Matisfaction wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 am Also, anyone who picked up the majority of the AC games over the years.
I swear I must own basically all the AC games through Games With Gold. Same with GoW
Also a hell of a lot of EA stuff. They practically give all that away.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

fired up my old Xbox to try testing some stuff out last night only to have it enter a cycle of starting then quickly rebooting & repeated the same thing over & over, any way to get it working again or is it dead? loved that softmodded little thing & was curious to test out the House of the Dead game thats in the bumdle of bits for testing, few pads & a light gun for hotd

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:55 am fired up my old Xbox to try testing some stuff out last night only to have it enter a cycle of starting then quickly rebooting & repeated the same thing over & over, any way to get it working again or is it dead? loved that softmodded little thing & was curious to test out the House of the Dead game thats in the bumdle of bits for testing, few pads & a light gun for hotd
I'd guess that the hard drive went bad or is unreadable. When i used to softmod Xbox systems back in college, the exact same thing would happen when the console couldn't find the dashboard.

Whether you boot from a disc or the HDD, you need those files for the system to properly boot. Luckily, a 3.5-inch IDE drive is still easy to find.