The PC/tech general help/advice thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: The PC/tech general help/advice thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

That would make a hilarious episode of the IT Crowd where Moss and Roy give away computers instead of getting phoned up & asked for tech advice.

:lol:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

anyone felow brits getting massive slowdown on some downloads with BT Infinity atm? a 130MB file is currently saying its gonna take 2 days & 22 hours, not good & this is with one of the unlimited options. Started off fine earlier came back from getting a paper & the dl speed of the torronts is in the toilet. Not sure if qbitorrent is messing it up or it BT are but its damn anoying

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

hmm several reboots & some scans with avast (regular & boot), spybot & malwarebytes & its currently sort if behaving, though peerblock claimed to have no decent config so went to the last one it was using. This is all very odd, I'd hope its fixed now but as avast's scan seems to think my router has issues despite torrents being fine again now who knows? shall wait & see if it remains OK or not I guess

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ugh doesnt rain but pours, dvd drives acting up now & wont eject, makes a nasty whire type of sound as it tries & fails to open, guess I'll have to take a look tomorrow but if a belts loose in it theres nowt I can do I think (unsure if that assements right or not, could be posible but a pain in the arse)

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

took a look & the belts come off, gotta try find it later, hopefully they aint picks to put back on right?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

just had a lovely 45 minute call from what claims to be microsoft uk liscen department based in manchester busines park, 3000 aviator way wanting me to go to http://www.takesupport.us. Told them I'd have to talk to my mate tomorow about it as it sounds a little fichy. Any of you guys had one of these & if so is it legit or dodgy as hell? that url sounds iffy to me but at this point my brains fried so I dunno, they had my lisence key which could be worrying potentailly.
The physical adress of the place they gave seems legit having googled it & finding http://customercarecontacts.com/microso ... e-address/

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's a scam.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

thought it were dodgy, thats why I didnt go to the site they wanted me to

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

anyone using Firefox had it not show the side bits on youtube where you can choose history, new, subscriptions etc..? mines suddenly not showing it in FF at all, I did get it back after restarting one but then after closing the tab & going back it doesnt work again. Chrome shows everything correctly, atm anyway, so anyone got any idea how to sort it? or is it a case of wait for another update? I cn see the vids in Chrome then copy the url to FF to use the download plugin but thats a pain, I mainly stick to FF as I'm used to it as my regular browser, I think its downthemall thats my main vid download plugin on it so I guess if theres a Chrome version that could work just annoying to have to use 2 browsers instead of 1

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

You probably clicked on one of those boxes that are in the right hand corner. One makes it full screen and one of them makes the player larger/smaller.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

nope its the list of stuff on the left (the home, trending, subscriptions etc..) that vanished, oddly it seems back for now though as it did that once earlier then vanished after I left youtube & went back I aint tried leaving it again yet. Unless theres something on the right that could acount for that as well but I didnt think there was

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OK stuff on the left disappears and reappears if you click on those 3 line bars on the top left near the YT logo.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

that just shows me this
as opposed to the usual
fortunatly left a tab from yesterday that worked out of nowhere, the first image is a new tab thats gone wonky, it did go back to normal after a reboot yesterday until I quit out of YT then went back later at which point it was like the first image

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

anyone else using firefox & having this issue? I've been getting a few sites just not loading lately both torrent & regular, though some of the regular ones come back on after resfreshing once or twice, some give me this error message:
Network Protocol Error

Firefox has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the network protocol was detected.

Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

while others give:
The connection has timed out

The server at 1337x.unblocked.vet is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

not sure if commodo is doing it or if the recent firefox update is to blame but its rather anoying as now some sites are either a pain to reach or cant be reached at all

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It seems to be working fine for me.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

wierd, for a day or 2 it wasnt working at all now its alive again for me, guess it was one of those things that has no reason/makes no sense then fix's itself edit of course after I type that the next bit I go to does it again guess its just gonna be hit & miss with lots of miss's for a while