All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (All-In)

Post by Big Boss Man »

Also Kenny's deal with AEW is for four years so say he does decide to go to WWE in the future, he'll only be 39 when he comes in anyway, which I think it's what he alluded to on BTE about doing one story, then another.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Kenny says they are open to Kota working for AEW. He currently is running his own wrestling school in Japan

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/ ... ew-650753/

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

New BTE!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The opening was hilarious. I wonder if WWE will ever respond to their mockery.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea WWE will probably try to send them a cease & desist again. But, thing is they can't really because it's not like they are using any WWE references, trademarks etc. Just that they parodied having Nick take off his shirt. Plus parody is usually protected legally under "fair use". Also most of the WWE talent are friends or on friendly terms with the Elite (especially Cody) so I doubt theyd do a skit firing back at the guys...yet. If AEW does start to be serious competition then they'll probably go after them then as we know how petty Vince can be.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I didn't mean legally since anything that doesn't violate a copyright for profit falls under acceptable use for parody. I mean taking shots back at them on commentary or having someone make a joke in a promo.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Only if AEW becomes a threat as a competitor they'll take a shot at them I think. Right now it would be kinda :olol: if they go after a YouTube show and make reference to it on worldwide TV. AEW should keep pissing them off though so they have to respond to get the publicity. Although it's likely they are already on most fans radar.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

May 25 – Double Or Nothing at the MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas

June 2019 – Unspecified show (believed to be in USA)

July 2019 – Unnamed show in Jacksonville, Florida with a portion of the proceeds going to anti-gun crime charities

August 2019 – Royal Albert Hall, London, England

September 2019 – All Out – the official sequel to All In and the full launch of the brand prior to TV tapings beginning. We understand that while not yet confirmed, this is again likely to take place at the Sears Center in Chicago

October 2019 – Weekly television starts

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

AEW should re-do this angle with Jericho in Funk's role and Kenny as Naitch

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Road to DON part 3
Spoiler
Have a hunch that Codys wrestling Marty at DON and it'll be for the NWA world title

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/ ... er-650927/

Cody tweeted a while back about the AKI games. Would be cool if they got SynSophia to make a new AEW wrestling game.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Tony on Y2Js podcast. Credit to Beech on the DVDVR board for the recap
Tony Khan was on Jericho's podcast. I don't think there was anything really headline worthy, but:

-He did emphasize once again the importance of wins/losses (no talk of tracking records), a live sports presentation, and high production values.

-He wanted to emphasize that this isn't just indulging his hobby, and he had to pitch his dad on why this was a viable business venture; to that end, they aren't ever going to sign everyone. The plan is to only sign people they have plans for, and not stockpile talent.

-That said, the roster isn't done. There are signed/agreed-to wrestlers who aren't announced yet, and they're still looking. But he's already said no to suggestions, and will have to keep doing so in the future.

-In general, they're more interested in being early on a talent than late. "Fresh" is the idea.

-He really emphasized that the women's roster will look to prioritize workrate.

-When speculating on how to use a roster, the hypothetical tv show length discussed was two hours. Maybe nothing. Maybe not.

-He name drops WAR, Michinoku Pro, Memphis, Mid South, and of course the more famous promotions, just in case we doubt his wrestling nerd credentials. Since he mentions the Midnights and Jim Cornette as all-time favorites, people will inevitably ask Cornette whether he'll get involved and start imagining him managing the Revival. I'm going to do this too. I'm sorry.

-Jericho repeats that he'd never watched Kenny before agreeing to wrestle him, but asked AJ, Finn, and Gallows/Anderson, who vouched that he was amazing.

-Jericho says Bobby Eaton is the only guy he's ever wrestled who can call a match spot-by-spot and have it work.

-The plan for this year is to run multiple successful PPVs, and get the TV show going.

-The five year plan is more abstract. Tony wants to be stable, profitable, and trusted as an owner/promoter. He specifically says he wants it to be known that he never lied to Cody, Jericho, The Bucks, etc. Hopefully people will think it's a great place to work and grow as performers, and even if they leave/it doesn't work out, that they were given a fair shot.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Conrad Thompson says he will not be involved with AEW and just did the events as a favor to Tony Khan, who he's known a while.

I hink he'd be good as their Mean Gene, but the problem is he's bigger than everybody and it's standard that the interviewer be shorter than the wrestlers.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:41 am Conrad Thompson says he will not be involved with AEW and just did the events as a favor to Tony Khan, who he's known a while.

I hink he'd be good as their Mean Gene, but the problem is he's bigger than everybody and it's standard that the interviewer be shorter than the wrestlers.
Yea I thought Conrad was good and they have an angle already going with MJF. Good point but I don't really think it matters today that he's bigger than majority of the wrestlers. Vince wanted the boys to look larger than life/superheroes and that worked really well when you had Gene next to Andre, Hulk et al but with AEW, most of their audience know how good the talent are.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/ ... ew-650942/

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

A FUCKIN' YETI CAMEO!!!!!!!!

And MJF heeling on Cody's dog. :olol:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yeti! and Scotty Stenier cameo too. MJF & Pharaoh was :lol: BTE reminds me a bit of the ECW "Pulp Fiction" promos.

"Update: Pharaoh found and ate the steak in the backyard. I’m not sure why MJF threw them away. I’d assume it was an attempt to impress me and make me feel good about my cooking. That’s cool and the sign of a good friend."

:olol: