Re: The Wrestling Podcast Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

GOODBYE FUCKHEAD!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Plus Jim finds his old mix tapes
Lots of diss tracks about Jim Herd and Vince Russo on those.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Just in case anyone missed it, I found it pretty interesting.

I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

DDP will be on Coast To Coast AM Friday but it's probably going to be mostly about Yoga.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Well that bit where the guy walked in on Alexa getting changed and Mandy/Naomi seemed very Russiesque so maybe he is doing some creative ?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

"An offer he made him" is probably a click bait way of saying Russo offered to "help" WWE again and Russo was the one who DMed Shane.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it does seem Russo is offering help to WWE again rather than Shane sending any DM(s) seeking him out about writing for them again. But that being said, they couldn't do any worse hiring him back with Ed Ferrera. Probably cheaper than the Hollywood writers they got. Also would be hilarious to see what he'd come up with on Raw.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

HHH hates him so he's never coming back. If he is talking to Shane it doesn't matter because Shane has no influence on the company anymore, he's strictly on air talent.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Funny how Russo claims that Cornette is stuck in the 70s, yet when you look through Cornette's role in SMW, ROH and OVW he pioneered a lot of shit, whereas Russo's outlook and booking is firmly stuck in the late '90s.
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea definitely. Russo and Ed Ferrera just took ideas from watching Jerry Springer show and fitted them into a wrestling framework. We saw how bad they were when they weren't filtered by Vince in WCW and even worse in TNA.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Russo claims that he never saw ECW at the time. just like Bischoff claims that he wasn't aware of the FMW takeover angle, even though he was in Japan at the time 🙄
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Matisfaction wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:07 am Funny how Russo claims that Cornette is stuck in the 70s, yet when you look through Cornette's role in SMW, ROH and OVW he pioneered a lot of shit, whereas Russo's outlook and booking is firmly stuck in the late '90s.
Cornette can take credit for Cena, Lesnar, Orton and Batista. That's the Mount Rushmore of 2000s WWE. The guys Russo wants credit for were fully formed besides Dwayne Johnson, and Johnson was ready as soon as someone finally gave him a good idea. The OVW guys Cornette helped become icons were green when they came in. But Austin and Foley were more than ready the day they came in. I don't think "let Mick do crazy bumps" and "Let Steve talk" were revolutionary ideas because they were already showing they could do that in WCW and ECW.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

With Stone Cold and Cactus it's really Paul E who should get credit for their success or putting them onto the path of success. WCW might have gave them a platform, but they never really broke the glass ceiling there because they weren't give the opportunity that Heyman gave them.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Bandit wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 am
Matisfaction wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:07 am Funny how Russo claims that Cornette is stuck in the 70s, yet when you look through Cornette's role in SMW, ROH and OVW he pioneered a lot of shit, whereas Russo's outlook and booking is firmly stuck in the late '90s.
Cornette can take credit for Cena, Lesnar, Orton and Batista. That's the Mount Rushmore of 2000s WWE. The guys Russo wants credit for were fully formed besides Dwayne Johnson, and Johnson was ready as soon as someone finally gave him a good idea. The OVW guys Cornette helped become icons were green when they came in. But Austin and Foley were more than ready the day they came in. I don't think "let Mick do crazy bumps" and "Let Steve talk" were revolutionary ideas because they were already showing they could do that in WCW and ECW.
It's not just the guys Cornette bought through , SMW was havng triple threat matches 12 months before ECW, you also had this going on between Kevin Sullivan & Kanemura in '93.

NXT was basically Cornette's idea for OVW, he went through it during an RF shoot in 2000.

He was pushing iPPVs at ROH in the mid 2000s before it was a thing.

Anyone claiming that the guy was out of touch is just talking bollox, really.
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's not because of what he did, it's because he hates everything on his podcast. And he's right to hate some of the goofy shit, although I don't get angry because such a tiny amount of wrestling fans saw PWG when they did comedy matches and even less know what DDT is. He's right about Joey Ryan because he's about to be on national television doing his act.

But to say Kenny Omega sucks because he did comedy in DDT 10 years ago is absurd. Or "Okada does too much shit", that's modern wrestling. He would have told off the old timers who said "Flair and Steamboat do too much shit" in 1989. And they did say that and they look like fools. Cornette is too intelligent to be a fool. So I can't speak for everybody, but when I've criticized him hating modern wrestling it's because I know he's better than that. And he doesn't even watch much of it in context, he gets sent a twitter clip of 90 seconds of a Joey Janela match where he kicks out of something crazy and acts like Janela sucks and has never done anything good.

But I also think he's working for some of it. He's making money from disgruntled fans who wish it was 1986 still. So if he says "You know, I saw a recent Young Bucks match and they've cut out the dumb stuff and been more serious so I change my mind on them" he will anger his fanbase who just want to hear about how millennials don't know psychology or whatever.

In a perfect world he could make up with Kenny and The Bucks and use his great creativity on their AEW booking committee. He could be the voice of reason that reels them in on being too over the top. He could commentate too. But he's never going to apologize to Omega so it would never happen.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Regarding the Kenny thing, I kinda see where Cornette is coming from, especially as in NJPW he wanted to be taken seriously all of a sudden, yet anyone can go online and watch him wrestle a blow up doll or get beat up by an 8yr old girl.

Compare that to someone like Lesnar, who's a bad ass... That's another thing that's pretty funny, WWE have all these MMA stars on the roster and the product still looks a phoney as hell. :dontknow"
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

But it's out of context. If he did it in New Japan it would be one thing. But DDT is a very funny parody of wrestling like HUSTLE was. It's for a small niche audience that gets the joke making fun of wrestling tropes. The Golden Lovers started in DDT as a parody of how homoerotic tag teams can be, so they made them actually gay and it was funny.

They also did this

If Cornette said that's not hilarious I don't believe him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea DDT is a comedy promotion and had a blow up doll as their champion. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Kenny also did his Cleaner gimmick with a comedy aspect but that didn't detract from him getting 6 and 7 star match reviews. Had New Japan came calling sooner it's likely he wouldn't have had to do the comedy stuff. But I don't see the problem with it. The DDT stuff I have seen is actually entertaining compared to WWEs "comedy" like when they brought DX back in the mid 2000s.