WWE Thread (No spoilers) & classic WWF/E talk

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: WWE Thread (No spoilers) & classic WWF/E talk

Post by Bandit »

Like I said the outrage should depend on what they're bringing him back for. If it's just the Hall and a reason to put the stuff they took off back on the Network I can't get mad because that was inevitable. But if he's on TV acting like nothing happened or being called "brand ambassador" again that is a reason to get mad. So I say wait and see. They have gotten an immediate backlash when it came out they'd filmed his apology to the locker room. So maybe they'll take that as a sign a documentary about "redemption" or putting him on TV is a very bad decision.

This is hard for them to figure out because it really is unprecedented. Michael Richards did it, but his career was over anyway, Elvis Costello called Ray Charles the n-wordduring an interview in 1979, but he wasn't viewed as a iconic musician like he is today and people forgot about that incident. So they have a hard time figuring out what to do with a guy who was so important to the company they may not even exist today if it weren't for him becoming a star. So having a HOF for your history and excluding the guy who made you wasn't going to last forever.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I won't be surprised if Hogan becomes Raw GM and is on the show weekly. They'll be printing up Hulkamania t-shirts, doing skits with New Day etc.

Again if he came clean and isn't racist and just said some heat of the moment BS, I don't condone it but Id grudgingly give him a 2nd chance, maybe. But if this is part of a redemption path saying stuff about being careful what you say etc is just deflecting the truth.

Them filming the locker room stuff equates to me they are paving the way for a comeback. Titus liked a comment saying "fvck this" so I can't imagine him hugging Hulk and being like welcome back. You can't say things like that and think people will forget and be cool about it. So yea I do think HH will be around beyond his cartoon coming back on the Network etc

I have heard that Elvis Costello thing before. He put out a song dissing John Lennon, Roger Waters and David Bowie in the 80s and has a cantankerous type personality or he at least did. Sounds like he was drunk in that interview cussing out Elvis too. He was around during the Punk era so probably said that for shock value. I'm not condoning what he said because drunk or not you don't say things like that. Good analogy with Hogan with the inebriated racial slurs.

However Elvis did an album with The Roots and Allen Touissant so I don't think if he was racist he'd worked with them. Plus sadly it was a different time then and some supposed "comedy"shows like Love Thy Neighbour had racial slurs in them. Most have never been aired again since & rightly so.

HH said what he did in an era he should have known better. If I'm correct he's of Italian American descent so his folks might have been subjected to racial slurs themselves. A whole musical genre has a racial slur in it doo-w*p as there was Italian Americans singing the music like Dion & the Belmont's for example.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/06/nyre ... ytmobile=0

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Titus O’Neil is a very big spokesperson for everything there [WWE] and he basically had a fit at the Extreme Rules pay-per-view. He was taken away from what I heard. He was at the arena and he saw Hogan and said, “what is he doing here?” and they explained that he’s been re-instated. Hogan to his credit came and tried to shake his hand and talk to him but he [Titus] just packed his bags and left

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/ ... daily-news
Let him be in the Hall of Fame for the unavoidable things his career meant to wrestling, then tell him he’s not welcome anymore
WWE should have some backbone and be like the MLB HOF
In response to a request from Rose to lift the ban, the Hall of Fame's board of directors voted in December to affirm the rule that keeps anyone "deemed permanently ineligible by Major League Baseball, including Pete Rose," from consideration for Cooperstown.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp ... utType=amp

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

So the rumors about him working with black wrestlers isn't true. There was a rumor (not confirmed by anybody so probably just B.S.) they were going to have him corner Lashley against Lesnar but Lashley refused to work with him, and now New Day say they refuse to work with him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I heard that rumour too, until HH genuinely apologises then no black wrestler will want to work with him & they have every right to stand by their principles.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Titus was even more upfront with how he felt. And it took more balls because New Day would never be fired because they make WWE so much money, but Titus could definitely be fired if they wanted to since he's pretty much a jobber.
To my gracious fans and the WWE Universe.

The reports and rumors concerning my boycotting Extreme Rules in Pittsburgh is false and inaccurate. I was not scheduled to attend or participate in the Extreme Rules match/production and otherwise was not booked for the show.

The talent present in Pittsburgh, which I was a part of, was asked to attend a mandatory meeting in which Mr. Terry Bollea addressed everyone and informed the same that he would be reinstated into the WWE Hall of Fame. At no point during, after or otherwise did I make any scene concerning Mr. Bollea’s communication to the talent. In addition, let it be known that I did not refuse to shake Mr. Bollea’s hand; we did not have any type of one-on-one interaction whatsoever that would or did necessitate any exchange between us individually.

As to the reinstatement of Mr. Bollea, I can only communicate that I am a proponent of second and even third chances for individuals that show true remorse, acknowledgement of wrongdoing, fulfill their punishment, if applicable, and otherwise put forth sincere efforts to correct the issues.

Unfortunately, I must echo the sentiment and dissatisifaction expressed by many of my fellow contemporaries concerning Mr. Bollea’s apology and its lack of true contrition, remorse and a desire to change. Mr. Bollea’s apology ‘that he didn’t know he was being recorded’ is not remorse for the hateful and violent utterances he made which reprise language that has caused violence against blacks and minorities for centuries.

I stand firm in my position that Mr. Bollea is entitled to reinstatement; he was and is a role model, hero and icon to countless people. I hope that Mr. Bollea’s missteps in communicating to the WWE talent in Pittsburgh are not repeated to his fans and I expect that he shall pursue an agenda that clearly communicates to all third parties that his language was inappropriate, wrong and should not be tolerated in a civilized and inclusive society.

As the father of two young black men, I have spent their entire life and the majority of my adult life with a singular focus; being a role model for my children and young black boys and girls. I take tremendous pride in my charity work and the community outreach that I have fostered via the platform I have been given. I teach my sons love and tolerance for everybody, but I also teach them to operate in truth and respect.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I, like New Day, will continue to use my platform to positively affect, entertain, embrace, celebrate and love people from all backgrounds both inside and outside of the WWE Universe.

Sincerely,

Thaddeus Bullard aka WWE Superstar ‘Titus Oneil’

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's a classy statement from Titus. From all accounts he's a genuinely good dude, so he'd be a really good guy to push as a top babyface. Because he has the legitimacy of being a nice guy and doesn't have any negativity around him. I'm assuming back in the day he'd have a solid locker room leader too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They air this commercial in the US all of the time during late night and weekend hours when they can't sell commercial time so offload it to the government in Public Service Announcements

Cena has a PSA too

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

According to Jerry Lawler's podcast Howard Finkle had a stroke.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That really sucks, he's arguably the best ever ring announcer (Gary Michael Capetta would be 2nd) and was cool to hear him announce Taker at Raw 25. Hope he pulls through and gets better. Get well soon Fink.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Old WWF adds for Eurosport. Something that caught my eye - WrestleMania VI highlights in May and Summerslam in October ! Not sure how behind the weekly show(s) were since you'd probably know the results if the shows were up to date :lol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, that was standard for everywhere but the US and Canada to be two months behind until around 1992 or so when they cut it back to a week delay I think. I remember a childhood friend went to India in 1996 and said they were two months behind but they showed the PPV's for free.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's interesting, thanks. I believe the PPVs were free for a while then went to Sky Movies + then Sky Sports. Those were on a few days delay. I don't recall if Summerslam 92 was broadcast live. I think that was shown on a Wednesday?. There's some old WWF UK ads on YouTube. WWF on Eurosport & Sky Channel seemed to have SNME, Superstars & Wrestling Challenge. There's an ad for the Slammys too I guess it was the 87/88 one

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Mania main card is 5hr 24mins, any matches a must see?. Thanks

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Kofi and Bryan is all. It wasn't a good show. Shane vs Miz may have been one of the worst matches ever.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK thanks, I'll just check out Kofi/Bryan then :)

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Watch NXT Takeover instead.