All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Double or Nothing) AEDub!

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Just do what I'll be doing, buy some merch.

Aja Kong kills a kid.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Almost 900k views on Twitter. That's pretty big.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He might be working. But then again Ibushi is a handsome man so if Kenny is gay or bi he'd certainly be into him. But Ibushi is straight because you always hear about all the chicks that are after him in Japan.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Rumors were Inoki was there but nobody has confirmed it besides the picture of him at the Tokyo airport on a flight to Las Vegas. I wish wacky Inoki was on Being The Elite.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

^ That video has been in the top 3 trending videos on all of youtube and was #1 on Sunday. A Moxley video is also top 10.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

WTF is wrong with the guy who has a Stardust tattoo?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Boogeyman is way out of place here.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

So apart from his tag matches with Ricky Steamboat, would that count as Dustin's best match? Maybe add in the Wargames match he was in from 1992 but I honestly can't think of anything else.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Rick Rude ones in 93. They wrestled a ton that year (they were one of the few good things about WCW that bad year) and most of the matches are on youtube. Rude might have been the best American wrestler that year. Then he retires in May 94. But with his temper who knows how he would have reacted to being a job boy for Hogan if he'd continued when Hogan came in in July.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:49 am

He might be working. But then again Ibushi is a handsome man so if Kenny is gay or bi he'd certainly be into him. But Ibushi is straight because you always hear about all the chicks that are after him in Japan.
Well, he could be, but I'm not so sure about Kenny working. He seems genuinely hurt here and it's not cool to see. I believe they were very close friends and Kenny seems a real sensitive type of guy who'd take that to heart. Nothing wrong with that. You find the best artists (and I think for Kenny wrestling is an art form ) have that type of wear your heart on your sleeve type attitude.

Kota came across as kinda cold when asked about how Kenny left New Japan etc (Its posted in the New Japan topic if I'm correct).

If the Omega Man documentary is anything to go by, Kennys Mom's reaction was that he wasn't gay. Plus he's rumoured to be in a relationship with one of the ladies from Japan he brought over to AEW. But that's his personal life and his business.

I would like to see the GL reunite, they could have Chris beat down Kota and/or Mox and Kenny makes the save. Then you could have Golden Lovers were Jericho & Moxley. In closing, if Kenny misses Kota that badly I personally would say go over to New Japan to be with him and just come in for the big AEW shows. Make him a big deal like how Hogan used to be back in the day with the WWF and not on TV every week. He can still be your Ace but you don't have to rely too heavily on him as you've got Mox now to handle the weight.

I don't think he'll ever publicly "come out" whilst he's still wrestling but it shouldn't even matter. I do believe the whole all inclusive, diverse nature of AEW is down to him too as well as Cody. We're in the 21st century so it's as it should be. And like Cody said having that diversity isn't just for PR which is really good as it's more a reflection of today's world.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Top indie talent Joey Ryan has reportedly turned down a contract offer from All Elite Wrestling, according to the SoCal Uncensored website.

Ryan's future with AEW has been speculated on due to his involvement with Being The Elite and 2018's All In event. Ryan also recently started promoting a "farewell to the indies tour" and will end those sales on Thursday, May 30. He reportedly received the offer from AEW shortly after being let go from his Lucha Underground contract. It was also recently reported that WWE was interested in signing Ryan to work as a coach and performer in WWE NXT.

Thursday is significant because Ryan will be appearing for his Bar Wrestling indie promotion in Baldwin Park, CA for their "Pickle Jar Hero" event. Ryan is set to make an announcement on his future and his contract status at Thursday's show
The SoCal Uncensored website isn't affiliated with SCU, they took their name as a joke.

Hopefully he did. AEW doesn't need his dumb dick spot. And his gimmick on BTE is beyond old. Okay, we get it, you were in a tag team with Candice LeRae.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Tony seems a smart guy who knows what he's doing. Ive read/heard some criticism for Alex Marvez but it was more first night nerves type of deal I think. I would though go to a two man booth and have Alex do like an event centre type deal where he breaks down the stats, win/losses etc and put over the sport analytics type deal.

I actually would put MJF as an announcer (who also wrestles) along with Excalibur who could root for the heels and also as like a manager/faction leader like he is in MLW. Have him side with Mox and Jericho to go up against Kenny, Page and The Bucks. AEW seems light in the heels department so I'd definitely try and get a major heel to come in so there's that balanced dynamic of heels to faces so you can interchange angles. I think Tony or the Bucks mentioned just 4 PPVs a year which is smart. I'd have like FyterFest/Fight for the Fallen as their Clash of the Champions type shows.

The Cody demolishing the throne wasn't really needed. WWE shouldn't even be a thought to AEW. You're the alternative, you can do your own thing and bring back in the lapsed fans and if you knock the WWE product you're alienating part of their fan base who are loyal to them. Just put on the best shows you can as a company and take the high road.

I know Cody says it's a like a War, but as saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. AEW have a huge opportunity, they've got mainstream TV in the U.K. on ITV/ITV4, the TNT deal, loyal fans who want them to succeed but they still need that something extra to push them into the upper echelon. Times have moved on, so there's so much more content out there, video games, internet etc to capture people's attention now. So the playing field has changed since the Monday Night Wars that way.

But the plus side is they can tie all the other things in together. Put more content up on YouTube, have a win/loss stats app for AEW, a AEW video game, get some mainstream celebs involved like Iron Mike to present the belt to the first AEW champ, hype up the TV show/events on podcasts etc/social media etc.

We know the Bucks and Matts wife are really savvy when it comes down to marketing so they can use those skills to a great degree with all aspects of social media. They need to grow AEW as a brand, the golden standard of pro-wrestling should be their tag line. They should be the antithesis to WWE, I think Tony said they want the TV to be like Mid South Wrestling and that gritty type product I think is more appealing to the mainstream as it comes across as more realistic.

It's not too long to October but they have to keep the momentum going so their first TV show is a big success. Some fans are saying about bringing in Pubk, but I think they need to rely on creating their own stars and make Hangman the face of the company. I do think a talent agreement with New Japan would be massive too. I'd pull all the stops out to make that happen. Because of the top level talent you can bring in and it makes AEW look even more big league. I'd also work with ROH, MLW, Impact etc and form a new type territory system so talent is rotated. Someone like Brian Cage or LAX against Kenny or LAX was the Bucks, Killer Kross and Scarlett to come in and feud with Cody and Brandy as just some examples.

AEW have a real bright future ahead they just need to avoid the potholes in the road. They can learn from TNA and WCW in that aspect. They should be confident but not cocky. If they play dirty, we know Vince will, so they don't want to be too ruthless in talent acquisitions. Speaking of which they must keep on the ball with contracts and avoid another Pac situation. He's a guy who I think would have been their top heel although it's been said he'll still be part of AEW down the line.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The throne thing was a shot back at the "pissant company" and mocking everyone being a EVP at the HOF DX speech. It was over huge with the crowd and got them a ton of publicity so I don't think it was a mistake at all. That was Cody's big moment to show doubters (and I'm a doubter) that he's a main event caliber wrestler. I'm still not convinced since Dustin made that match what it was and when Cody wrestled Kenny in ROH it was Omega's worst match. But he got over and people are rooting for him to succeed.

As for the war, they remember Bischoff getting in WWF's bad side was what made them a success. Remember 1995 Nitro episodes revolved around Bischoff shitting on the WWF the whole show. TNA played nice and swore they weren't competition and went nowhere. Granted TNA was awful 80% of the time back then. But not getting on WWE's enemies list made sure they were always seen as minor league even with big names on the roster. Same with ROH, they don't try to be seen as better than WWE and so everyone sees them as just an independent promotion with a TV deal. You have to make people think you're coming to dethrone Vince like Eric Bischoff did or else no one will think you're competition. That's not to say the whole show needs to bury WWE. But make people think you're the cool guys and only geeks would watch WWE.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

AEW Double or Nothing was great fun to watch, the pre-show battle royale was fun & it leaves some interesting possibilities such as Dreamer/Havoc hardcore match in the future maybe? either at AEW or Impact (as Havocs been there a few times & Dreamer is there a lot) Orange Cassidy was an odd entry but raised a big of a laugh as well. Nice to see one of the women paying tribute to Freddie Mercury with her gear.
The highlight has to be the Cody/Dustin match (bonus for Earl as the ref, good to see him in action again) a damn fine entertaining match & a very red one by the end (something tells be their old job wouldnt have allowed it) I had a great big smile on my face the entire mach
The main event was not as much fun maybe but still a damn good show, made even more so when Ambr.. I mean Moxley came out at the end & gave a dirty deads (or whatever they are calling it in AEW) to Jericoy, then the ref & finally Omega (after chasing him down)
Also I forget now which match it was & which wrestler but Shoryuken, the gamer in me smiled big

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:51 am The throne thing was a shot back at the "pissant company" and mocking everyone being a EVP at the HOF DX speech. It was over huge with the crowd and got them a ton of publicity so I don't think it was a mistake at all. That was Cody's big moment to show doubters (and I'm a doubter) that he's a main event caliber wrestler. I'm still not convinced since Dustin made that match what it was and when Cody wrestled Kenny in ROH it was Omega's worst match. But he got over and people are rooting for him to succeed.
Yea I know it was a dig at Hunter, but Cody shouldn't rise to the bait. He's better than that. Remember this is the company that put his pops in Polka Dots and had a bodyguard called Virgil. Vince is incredibly childish and petty af. Cody should have done like Pac did like on Hit Em Up and said Hunter isn't even on my level.
As for the war, they remember Bischoff getting in WWF's bad side was what made them a success. Remember 1995 Nitro episodes revolved around Bischoff shitting on the WWF the whole show. TNA played nice and swore they weren't competition and went nowhere. Granted TNA was awful 80% of the time back then. But not getting on WWE's enemies list made sure they were always seen as minor league even with big names on the roster. Same with ROH, they don't try to be seen as better than WWE and so everyone sees them as just an independent promotion with a TV deal. You have to make people think you're coming to dethrone Vince like Eric Bischoff did or else no one will think you're competition. That's not to say the whole show needs to bury WWE. But make people think you're the cool guys and only geeks would watch WWE.
Yea that's true. But if you go to war with WWE you have to realise they have that ingrained fan base who still tune in each week and are incredibly loyal to the product. Raw could be the equivalent of watching paint dry for three hours and fans would still watch it. First goal for AEW is to tap into that fan base and bring them over to your product.

Once you're on steady ground and you've brought back the lapsed fan and got some mainstream buzz then you take shots at WWE and go to war with them. Tony and his pops have the financial resources to support AEW to the hilt. Tony's a huge wrestling fan too so it's not just a vanity project for him either. Factor in Codys got a axe to grind and has in his own words burnt the bridge with WWE he has to be "all in" for AEW to succeed long term. But going all out now against WWE is a mistake unless you really want to go all out.

I see no logical sense trying to run WWE out of business or to be the only game in town. You're just emulating WWE then and its totally counterproductive since you'll be back at square one with AEW monopolising the US wrestling business. Making it a more level playing field and giving the fans a better choice is smarter business sense. That should be the goal, both WWEs and AEWs. Let Vince and co do their thing and AEW does there's. I wouldn't be against them cross promoting, especially for a huge cross branded show once a year down the line for a real Super Bowl /World Series/ World Cup of wrestling. Something the Invasion should have been and had WWE kept WCW going (under the WWE umbrella) but independent to a degree Vince could have competed with himself and they'd have kept a lot of the WCW fans who tuned out once Vince took over.

We could see another boom period on the horizon, I can't see it repeating the Rock & Wrestling era or Attitude Era in terms of mainstream fans being drawn in but for casual wrestling fans it might draw a lot of fans back in. If they manage to bring in the mainstream fan base again and can sustain that interest who knows how far it can go this time. I definitely agree AEW needs to brand themselves as the cool alternative and again they can do that by just ignoring what WWE are doing and saying.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

First goal for AEW is to tap into that fan base and bring them over to your product.
But that was what Nitro did. Raw was stale and predictable (and it is now as well) Bischoff made WCW the cool promotion to watch (although really that was ECW but they were just on the east coast then.) WCW went out of their way to feel exciting to contrast to Raw being a canned show taped 1-3 weeks ago. And part of that was attacking WWF. Not their fans, they put it as pointing out Raw's flaws and building on that fan base dislike of the product. You had Mabel in the spot Baron Corbin is in, you had Diesel in the role Roman is in. Tell them to give you a try because you know they're not happy.

If you re-watch the September 1995-February 1996 Nitro's it is very educational on how to beat a stale WWE. And a lot of Nitro sucked with Hogan and the Dungeon of Doom. So if AEW is actually good they'll have it easier. The PPV wasn't perfect but it was a great test run. Mix the best parts of that with some innovative ways to showcase promos and a little Being The Elite humor and I think that will be a winning formula. And make the show feel young. For example don't have some 40 year old doing a Boom Box gag for 30 minutes of a show when kids don't even know what that is today.