All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Double or Nothing) AEDub!

Post by Bandit »

Has-been wants attention, bro.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:36 am
First goal for AEW is to tap into that fan base and bring them over to your product.
But that was what Nitro did. Raw was stale and predictable (and it is now as well) Bischoff made WCW the cool promotion to watch (although really that was ECW but they were just on the east coast then.) WCW went out of their way to feel exciting to contrast to Raw being a canned show taped 1-3 weeks ago. And part of that was attacking WWF. Not their fans, they put it as pointing out Raw's flaws and building on that fan base dislike of the product. You had Mabel in the spot Baron Corbin is in, you had Diesel in the role Roman is in. Tell them to give you a try because you know they're not happy.

If you re-watch the September 1995-February 1996 Nitro's it is very educational on how to beat a stale WWE. And a lot of Nitro sucked with Hogan and the Dungeon of Doom. So if AEW is actually good they'll have it easier. The PPV wasn't perfect but it was a great test run. Mix the best parts of that with some innovative ways to showcase promos and a little Being The Elite humor and I think that will be a winning formula. And make the show feel young. For example don't have some 40 year old doing a Boom Box gag for 30 minutes of a show when kids don't even know what that is today.
Really good points. Being TV-14 allows them to push the envelope in terms of content too. Chris Van Vilet asked Tony about him being an ECW fan and he mentioned an ECW type product wouldn't be that attractive to advertisers but I think he was indicating it would be more "authentic" if you will, like ECW came across as and also Mid South.

I also got the impression they will keep the f-bombs and blood mostly for PPVs which makes much more sense. If you do that every show it gets boring. New Japan is really a PG product in actuality but you have like the BC, Marty and others swearing which I think isn't really necessary. If it's during a big PPV feud and you do it, then yea, I'm all for it as it comes of as more legitimate and what you'd do in the moment because emotions would be running high.

I think with the Cody/Dustin match they brought back some real emotion to wrestling. We see it quite often in the UFC, with like DC and when like Mike Bisping finally won the belt. I'd incorporate that into the product as something that comes across as real life is much more appealing than what WWE is putting out right now. Shawn/Naitch & Shawn/Taker are what WWE is capable of in terms of generating real emotion but they seem the exception to the norm.

AEW keeping track of wins/losses etc I think is appealing too as a lot of that aspect is lost in the WWE because of their 50/50 style booking. I liked the post match interviews I saw on YouTube, that reminded me of New Japan and comes across as making it seem as a real sporting event. The sports aspect of wrestling has been lost in US wrestling for a while, the major Puroresu promotions have always had it and when you come across as authentic the fans buy in to it as realistic.

Again I do think AEW doesn't need to concern themselves with what WWE are doing. Just building up their own brand first. They hit a homerun with DON, and they have to continue to do so with Fight for the Fallen, Fyter Fest and with each TV show. They can't falter at any step of the way yet so it's really high pressure for them right now but they seem to be taking it in stride. I don't really think they need anymore big talent acquisitions but if Punk does want to come in hes a must get.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Moxley on Talk Is Jericho

https://omny.fm/shows/talk-is-jericho/t ... jon-moxley

He really hates Vince and says he'd rather not wrestle than ever work for him again.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

https://talksport.com/sport/wwe/548971/ ... -uk-plans/

There's talk Fight for the Fallen & Fyter Fest will be on ITV4 in the UK and on Bleacher Report in the US. All Out I'm assuming will be on PPV.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Fyter Fest 6-29-19) AEDub!

Post by Big Boss Man »

Mox vs Joey Janela has been announced for Fyter Fest

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/jon- ... est-284836

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

So apparently Russo's new bullshit is so dumb his podcast host quit because he doesn't want to be associated with it.

Spoiler
Bro.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm not saying Moxley is going to be as big as Steve Austin (I doubt anyone will) but he's certainly in the same spot Steve was in late 1995

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Giving the talent free reign will allow them to break the "glass ceiling" like Steve did in ECW. So yea Mox has a really big opportunity now to do the things WWE creative put a stop to. Would be very ironic if Mox becomes AEWs Austin where WCW letting him go was a big part of their downfall that's not really mentioned in the whole scheme of things.

Letting Stone Cold and Mick go to WWE from WCW in hindsight was a big mistake since they rose to the top of the card.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I could listen to MJF talk all day. He's such a star. WWE would have ruined him.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 am

I could listen to MJF talk all day. He's such a star. WWE would have ruined him.
Definitely. Things like this

:olol:

And when he was heeling it up in the interview with Chris are hilarious. Think in even a few years how good he will be, certainly the best heel AEW has on their roster. Real salt of the earth too I hear.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Jericho said the Moxley podcast broke the record of his previous most listened to show in only 10 hours. It was also trending on twitter all day.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:07 pm
Bandit wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 am

Definitely. Things like this

:olol:

And when he was heeling it up in the interview with Chris are hilarious. Think in even a few years how good he will be, certainly the best heel AEW has on their roster. Real salt of the earth too I hear.
It reminds me of when Heenan would go on a talk show and never break character

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

This is well worth checking out

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

This is a cool doc too about Joey

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

HHH was asked about AEW during the NXT press conference
When asked directly if he will respond to Rhodes’ throne smashing from Double or Nothing, Triple H said:

“For me, I don’t even think about it. I just want to put on the best product possible with this TakeOver. I’m focused on this Saturday’s TakeOver XXV and continuing to grow the brand.”

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

WON Star Ratings for Double or Nothing

Battle Royal: 3 stars

Sabian vs Guevara: 3.25 stars

SCU vs Cima, T-Hawk & Lindaman: 4 stars

Baker vs Kong vs Rose vs Rae: 3 stars

Best Friends vs Evans & Angelico: 3.25 stars

Riho, Mizunami & Shia vs Kong, Shakura & Sakazaki: 3.75 stars

Dustin vs Cody: 5 stars

Bucks vs Lucha Bros: 4.75 stars

Omega vs Jericho: 4.25 stars