All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Fyter Fest 6-29-19) AEDub!

Post by Bandit »

The buyrate is estimated at 98,000, double what All In did and in line with what ECW drew at their peak on PPV in 1999 and bigger than any TNA PPV.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I read that two thirds of the buy-rate was domestically. So that roughly equates to $3.26m total from US PPV alone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonu ... effab73aae

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It supposedly did big numbers in people buying the replay after hearing how good it was and those numbers aren't calculated yet.

Starrcast was a disappointment, though. But the line up wasn't that interesting besides Arn. Everyone else just did a live version of their podcast. The Kenny Omega show drew the worst because people had left Las Vegas by the time it happened.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thats a very good indication there's still a big audience for wrestling out there and that fans are tired of the WWE product. I'd be interested to know what the percentage of lapsed/casual fans bought the PPV. Or if any non wrestling fans bought it as they were intrigued by what AEW is all about.

They have to keep interest snowballing and with Mox on board now I think that'll be the case. Plus I think Cody and/or Tony said they are just doing four PPVs a year which is also smart business sense. I think it's way too early for them to have an on demand service unless they license footage from NJPW, PWG, ROH etc of their talent for fans to see. I'd keep BTE on YouTube still and there was talk they might discontinue it but it's actually a solid promotional tool. I'd have a AEW podcast too and do like mini docs about the wrestlers like the ones about MJF & Joey and put them on YouTube, so casual/lapsed fans can get to know about who they are.

I'm assuming they will put out a AEW app too to track wins/losses etc. Social media/online presence is very important. For example getting Kenny on one of the top YouTube gaming/streaming channels to help promote AEW. Things like that will quickly grow the brand. They are already good marketers so they have the upper hand already. It's just exploring the other avenues where you can make wrestling popular to the mainstream audience again.

We know AEW will have a UK presence but there's countries like India, Germany, Australia etc where they can expand to also. Japan also, but I think a cross promotional deal with NJPW would cover a lot of ground. There's the deal with AAA in Mexico and OWE in China which if AEW catches on there will be huge. I'd focus on countries/markets where WWE doesn't go to but are places where there's potentially big audiences. WWE broadcasts to 180 countries, an estimated 800million people so if you manage to tap into that potential audience that would be gigantic.

Plus names like Cody, Dustin, Mox and Jericho will already be familiar with them. I wouldn't rely too heavy on ex WWE talent, but if it's a really big name for that potential audience alone they'd be a must get. Then you bring them over there and sell out the arena(s).

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

There's a young audience who only know the guys from BTE that are probably first or second time (if they got All In) buyers. Those BTE viewer demographics are much younger than WWE's demographics. But I'd imagine most buyers were disgruntled WWE fans old enough to have been watching in the 90s and early 2000s when it was still good.

As for other countries, India is hard to make money in because while wrestling is popular they view it as just a television show and don't want to spend money on it. Wrestling isn't popular in China, so going there will take money losses (OWE also loses money and WWE doesn't do any major business there.) Germany is a strong WWE territory, so it would be hard to break in right now. Australia would probably work out because the New Japan tour did well there last year.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

For India, if they pick up their weekly TV, they could do a tour there and they've got ex WWE guys who the audience know. WCW used to popular in Germany so it's not totally a WWE territory. International syndication for their weekly show is key. Wherever it gains a following go over and grow the audience.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

TNA tried that in India, plus had Ring Ka King, and didn't draw despite doing decent on TV. And WWE seems to have given up on India since Jinder didn't break them in like they thought. Although since he was born in Canada I don't think it was the connection they thought. It was like if they tried to get popular in Africa with Bobby Lashley. That sounds absurd and that's how Indian fans felt about trying to push Jinder on them. They actually liked Roman Reigns the best at the live show in India.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Matt Jackson said more than likely BTE will end once the TV show starts because they probably won't have time for it (and would probably want the best ideas on TV anyway.)

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:41 am Matt Jackson said more than likely BTE will end once the TV show starts because they probably won't have time for it (and would probably want the best ideas on TV anyway.)
Yea, but they only need to record them on the go, doing stuff backstage for the shows etc. It's a good promotional tool and it's introduced a lot of fans to the Elite who didn't follow them on the indies.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The New Japan spokesman said they have no plans to ever work with AEW because they appreciate how much ROH has helped them expand in America.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 am The New Japan spokesman said they have no plans to ever work with AEW because they appreciate how much ROH has helped them expand in America.
Well they are kinda working with them indirectly having AEW contracted talent work for NJ like Y2J and Mox. Kenny I'm sure will go back there too. He got emotional when a Japanese fan asked him if he had any words for his fans there. Would be a mistake on their part if AEW hits the ground running and they don't do a talent agreement with them. Would AEWs deal with DDT have anything to do with New Japan's noncommittal attitude?.

I think Chris would be a good pick up as an onscreen personality/interviewer with AEW. He's done good interviews with Cody, Joey and other wrestlers too. He interviewed Alicia Atout too and they have a good onscreen rapport with each other. If you're going for a younger cool demographic I'd get them onboard. They come across as real people instead of automatons like WWEs announcers/interviewers do nowadays.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Kenny was asked about a possible AEW game at Starrcast and seemed to indicate if there is one he would like it to have the AKI engine.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, but they meant sending Okada or Ibushi to AEW for a show.

I doubt they care about DDT since they share wrestlers with them quite a bit. DDT isn't a threat to their business, like the way WWE saw Lucha Underground. They're not going to be selling out the Tokyo Dome because Michael Nakazawa will be on AEW. I don't think AEW has a Japanese network yet. They'd probably just be on the Samurai TV cable network all other wrestling is on. Or they might not even try to be on in Japan as a sign of good will to New Japan, plus they have no plans to tour in the country for a while. They'll concentrate on the US and UK first.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

"Loyalty is a big virtue, especially in Japanese culture," Craven said. "Loyalty to our partners is of utmost importance to us as we continue to foster the premiere network of wrestling talent in the world."

"We wish everybody at All Elite Wrestling nothing but the best in their ongoing endeavors, though we must stress we have no working arrangement at this time," he continued. "Again, we think our partners seek and deserve loyalty and an appropriate amount of care. We want our relationships to be mutually beneficial over the long haul, rather than just thinking in the moment."
I respect their commitment to loyalty but considering AEW have a potentially larger audience for their product, if they did bring Kota, Okada, Naito over you're introducing them to a lot of people who might not be familiar with the New Japan product who might like what they see and subscribe to NJPW World.

It's like when the Rockets had Yao and the Chinese fans checked out the NBA or the Japanese fans watching the Angels to see Ohtani. There could be the reserve effect where someone might become a fan of Kota Ibushi and want to check out his matches. NJ seems more about rooting for the individual wrestlers too. You see like scarfs and other merchandise for Kota, Okada and Tana. Whereas with WWE its more about building the actual brand up.

Also in the SI article, they mention the Mox deal was already set in stone before he commuted to AEW, same with Chris. If that is the case though why not have given the Elite some dates for NJPW before October, then they can come in ocassionally for big shows like Wrestle Kingdom, Dominion etc. A lot of non Japanese fans became re-interested in their product again because of the Elite and Jericho coming in, so really they should have kept them on board in some capacity.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

With replays Double or Nothing did 113,000 buys, 71,000 in America.