I met an American yesterday.

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
ian
Null Dream Team

I met an American yesterday.

Post by ian »

He was door knocking for the cancer council.
you always talk you Americans. You talk, and you talk and you say 'let me tell ya something' and 'I just wanna say this'

He was the nicest door knocker I've ever had. Talked a lot, and I feel I now know a lot about Chris from Houston. Who's been in the country for a couple of weeks.
He talked and asked about a lot of stuff. Genuinely a good conversation, and I kind of felt bad that I sent him away empty handed. (Heart foundation and war vets are the only ones who get my money)

But something I noticed talking face to face to a real, live, actual American:
I was the one with the accent!
Even though I am the native, I have become so accustomed to 'Merican entertainment, that it's not jarring to hear 'mericans talk anymore.
I thought further into this, The Aussie accent just seems odd in most media and on youtube. Hearing the voices in Forza Horizon 3 was actually cringe worthy.. Do we really sound like that??? and then you listen more and it's like, WELL FUCK, WE DO.

THESE BLOODY chazzwazzers are all over the malongagilderchuck!!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Re: I met an American yesterday.

Post by Roofus »

Did he shoot you?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Depends on your accent, though. The Australian accent does vary so sometimes it can sound god awful in comparison, sometimes it sounds just fine. There's a youtube channel I watch and they're all American except 1 Aussie chick and she doesn't sound odd at all.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Roofus wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:26 amDid he shoot you?
He didn't even have a gun! was surprised as I am sure all of you are. He may have had a concealed gun, but it's hard to hide an assault rifle in neat casual, tight fitting clothes.

He was also less fat than I am by a considerable margin. Like I wouldn't call him ripped, but certainly not unfit.

Skynet wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:11 am Depends on your accent, though. The Australian accent does vary so sometimes it can sound god awful in comparison, sometimes it sounds just fine. There's a youtube channel I watch and they're all American except 1 Aussie chick and she doesn't sound odd at all.
The only time in media our accent doesn't sound weird for me is Jim Jefferies. I can watch his stuff all day, and he sounds normal.
-Two Interactive.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

ian wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 pm
Roofus wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:26 amDid he shoot you?
He didn't even have a gun! was surprised as I am sure all of you are. He may have had a concealed gun, but it's hard to hide an assault rifle in neat casual, tight fitting clothes.

He was also less fat than I am by a considerable margin. Like I wouldn't call him ripped, but certainly not unfit.

He's one of yours now. :ocry:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Roofus wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:22 pm He's one of yours now. :ocry:
You Americans are really nice when you're not shooting people

More of you should move here and become door knockers.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

How dare you attack the lovely Australian accent, ya nong!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

ian wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:39 pm
Roofus wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:22 pm He's one of yours now. :ocry:
You Americans are really nice when you're not shooting people

More of you should move here and become door knockers.
Great, we will send over all of our Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm Great, we will send over all of our Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.
They already come over here.
As a mormon missionary in Australia for the past 23 months, 7'6" Shawn Bradley has ministered to Aboriginal families in the outback, comforted a heroin addict in Sydney and picked leeches off his ankles while walking through the subtropical rain forest. Last week he said he was ready for rigors of a different sort. Through a phone hookup between Sydney and Salt Lake City, the 21-year-old Bradley confirmed that he was forsaking his final three years of collegiate eligibility at Brigham Young and applying for this June's NBA draft, in which he will certainly be a lottery pick and could be the No. 1 overall selection.
https://www.si.com/vault/1993/04/12/128 ... wn-bradley