The Australian Politics & News Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Australian Politics & News Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Australia loves Dick!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Who's looking forward to the election?

Zzzzzzz...

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

Its going to be a long election, I think people just won't care until the last 2 weeks.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Election 2016: Why a hung Parliament and snap second election are now very real possibilities

Bill Shorten has ruled out any post-election deal with the Greens. Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen says Labor will govern alone or not at all. And Malcolm Turnbull doesn't want agreements with other parties either.

Yet the opinion polls are running 50-50, and the remaining crossbenchers look unbeatable. There is a good chance that neither party will win a majority on July 2. Betting agency Sportsbet rates it as at least a one in three chance.

On June 26, just before our election, people in Spain will vote at their second election in six months, because long negotiations failed to deliver any majority government from last December's election. Opinion polls show little change in party support since, so its new election too could fail to produce a viable government.

Could Australia end up in stalemate? It's less likely here than in Spain, where MPs are elected by proportional representation, so minor parties win a bigger share of the seats. But if the Coalition and Labor both rule out forming minority governments or alliances with crossbenchers, the only alternative could be a second election.

In the old Parliament, the Coalition had 90 of the 150 seats, Labor 55, and the crossbenches five. Redistributions since and Clive Palmer's withdrawal have effectively altered the status quo to Coalition 89, Labor 57, others four.

To have a majority, either side must win 76 seats. For the Coalition, that means it must lose no more than 13 seats. For Labor, it must win 19 seats. That's some gap, and it would increase if the Greens, independents or minor parties make gains on July 2.

How do the punters see it? At this early stage, Sportsbet's seat-by-seat odds show they think Labor will win 11 seats from the Coalition. That implies a 78-68-4 outcome, re-electing the Turnbull government with a six-seat majority.

But the punters are not always right. Last time they called 12 seats wrong - and in nine of those they backed the Coalition to win seats it lost. They picked only two of the five victories by crossbenchers. They might be making the same mistakes now.

First, the polls are less optimistic for the Coalition than the punters. For example, the punters tip the Coalition to hold Brisbane, Forde and Bonner, yet on the swings the polls report in Queensland, all three would fall. The punters tip Labor to win just eight of the 30 seats in Queensland, yet the polls give it up to 49 per cent of the state's two-party vote.

The punters think Labor will gain Eden-Monaro and Macarthur in NSW (as well as gaining Barton, Dobell and Paterson from the redistribution); Deakin in Victoria; Capricornia and Petrie in Queensland; Hasluck, Swan and the new seat of Burt in Western Australia; Hindmarsh in South Australia; Lyons in Tasmania; and Solomon, the Darwin seat.

Second, Sportsbet estimates that the 17 next closest contests would all be in seats held by the Coalition. It has a lot of seats at risk. By contrast, punters expect it to take no seats from Labor: its best prospects are seen as a one in three chance in the territory's outback seat of Lingiari, and less than that in McEwen, on Melbourne's northern fringe.

But in inner northern Melbourne, the punters might be erring in Labor's favour. They give the Greens at best a one in three chance of taking Batman, less than that in Anthony Albanese's seat of Grayndler, and barely a one in five chance in the other seat in Melbourne's inner north, Wills.

Yet where the Liberals run third behind Labor and the Greens, Liberal preferences will usually decide the winner. And it's anyone's guess where they will go.

In 2013, they went to Labor, which gave it easy wins in Batman (by 10.6 per cent) and Wills (15.2 per cent). But in 2010, they went to the Greens. Had Liberal voters directed preferences in 2013 as they did in 2010, the Greens would have won Batman by 0.4 per cent, and lost Wills by just 3 per cent. If the Liberals direct preferences their way in 2016, the Greens could win one or both seats.

It's a different story in NSW. The Greens are much weaker, and to win Grayndler or Sydney, they would need good swings to top the Liberals, and then a very tight flow of Liberal preferences.

The punters think three of the four crossbenchers are safe: Adam Bandt in Melbourne, Andrew Wilkie in Denison, and Bob Katter in Kennedy. They expect Cathy McGowan to retain Indi, beating former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella into third place. But they rate Barnaby Joyce as 2-1 on to hold New England against former member Tony Windsor.

A hung Parliament is a real possibility. Our leaders should keep their options open.

Source: The Age

Wow, that would be so awesome...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Airdate: The Goddam Election! with John Safran

Don’t tell Ray Martin, but John Safran is returning to television, with a one hour special on SBS The Goddam Election! With John Safran.

Safran, who has recently appeared on The Book Club and Media Circus, will again be looking through a religious prism -this time at the federal election.

Over a one-hour television special, Australia’s premier provocateur John Safran investigates the micro parties contesting the 2016 Australian Federal Election, revealing bizarre alliances that upend our perception of Australian multiculturalism. In The Goddam Election! With John Safran he uncovers what could be our most religious election ever.

Safran explores the religious underbelly of the election, sidestepping the Coalition, Labor and the Greens to delve deep into the lesser reported minor parties – many of whom are guided by religion.

He begins his journey following the recent rise of anti-Islam parties, and soon discovers a peculiar political fringe where some Sikhs, Hindus, alleged neo-Nazis and a Sri-Lankan priest join forces with each other to carve a path all the way to Parliament House. The more he digs, the more he discovers that religion is a growing force that filters into Australian politics in surprising ways.

Safran once again brings his sardonic wit and penchant for biting rants to our screens, whether running with riot police, driving through Sydney with radical Muslims, having dinner with Fred Nile or door stopping Pauline Hanson.

As the nation heads towards a neck-and-neck election, the micro parties supported by Australia’s religious minorities could end up with a balance of power. Join Safran as he a cracks the lid on unlikely alliances and surprising frenemies in his inimitable style.

8.30pm Sunday 26 June on SBS.

Source: TV Tonight

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He gets a bit worked up at the end.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:He gets a bit worked up at the end.
He really does :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Don't start me on our netspeed:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/06/parli ... g-reading/

Basically, the liberals (coalition) said in 1910 that Iron was fine instead of this new fan-dangled, expensive copper!!
Fast forward to FUCKING TODAY, and the cunts are still saying that the copper that they opposed MORE than a hundred fucking years ago is STILL FINE!!!

Useless pricks is the biggest understatement I have ever heard!!

Most of the 3rd fucking world has better net than us, even though only 1 out of every 2 million can afford a device that can use the internet!!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

So most of you know I work for an ISP. When ordering NBN services for customers we can see what the estimated speed will be on FTTN services. I've seen multiple results that are 0-3Mbps and 3-6Mbps. I've seen one that put an estimate at 10Mbps tops. Now that's not to say all FTTN services are like that. The majority of them generally show estimates of about 30-70Mbps or 70-100Mbps. But still... good going Turnbull.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

If Labor get in, hopefully they can do a better job with the NBN. If they don't, then we'll have to keep putting up with this shit.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:If Labor get in, hopefully they can do a better job with the NBN, If they don't, then we'll have to keep putting up with this shit.
You know how the Libs promised 25Mbps? I've read on a bunch of sites that it basically means your service needs to hit 25Mbps 4 times in 24 hours. So long as it does that, they've delivered the service as promised. You could be sitting at 10Mbps most of the time and hit 25Mbps 4 times and you're fine.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Brexit: European Union exit the catalyst for an Australian republic, Peter FitzSimons says

Britain's decision to break out of the European Union has renewed the drive for an Australian republic, Peter FitzSimons says.

The chair of the Australian Republican Movement (ARM) has reported an increase in membership since Friday afternoon's result.

It coincided with Google figures showing an increase in searches for "Australian republic", as well as a flurry of #Ausexit tweets.

Speaking on 702 ABC Sydney this morning, FitzSimons said ARM was not advocating Brexit as a model, but as a catalyst for Australia's own change.

"Brexit was a very divisive, horrible campaign, and if I was in Britain I certainly wouldn't have voted for Brexit, I would have voted to remain," he said.

"The issue is, it's one thing for the monarchists to say 'we should be staying so very closely aligned to Great Britain' … but how do you feel about staying so closely aligned to little Britain?

"The whole game has changed with our membership.

"From the moment that Brexit came through, social media came alive, with people saying 'this is ridiculous, let us be our own people, let us get away from this'.

"[We're] not looking to Brexit as the model at all.

"We're just saying that it's ludicrous in the 21st century to say that Australia cannot do better than find our heads of state from one family of English aristocrats living in a palace in London. We're better than that as a people."

FitzSimons said it was time for Australians to have another say on whether to become a republic.

"There are 3.5 million Australian electors now who didn't get a chance to vote in the 1999 [referendum]," he said.

"It's time. It's another generation. We've got a hell of a case to sell."

Source: ABC

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's great to be able to watch TV again without getting bombarded with shitty election ads. They were all bad but the Liberal Party ones were the worst, with the word "local" being shoved into every ad.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:It's great to be able to watch TV again without getting bombarded with shitty election ads. They were all bad but the Liberal Party ones were the worst, with the word "local" being shoved into every ad.
What about that totally authentic tradie who told us to stick it out with the current mob for a while? Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for the Libs.

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

I had to deliver thousands of pieces of political mail during the past month. I had to hold in my anger all this time. I feel like I'm gonna explode here.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Did anybody vote for Derryn Hinch?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I did not.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

My Mum put him at 4. I thought about slotting him in at 6 for fun but then decided against it.

I did have the Australian Sex Party at 2 though.